Author Topic: Updating firmware question  (Read 932 times)

Offline Kobeskillz

• View Profile
Updating firmware question
« on: March 29, 2021, 09:20 AM »
hey guys so when i download a new firmware what is it that i need to replace in the sd2snes folder? everything? Just the files named firmware? The firmware and the cores?

I'm kind of confused what is it that replaces what. hope this makes sense. Thanks.

Offline nuu

• View Profile
Re: Updating firmware question
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2021, 09:57 AM »
You should delete the whole folder and replace it with a fresh one. Don't mix new and old OS files.
Don't forget to backup your save files and any BIOS files you put there yourself, and copy them to the new OS.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 10:00 AM by nuu »

Offline Richardragon87

• SNESAdvance Revival Coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2021, 05:31 PM »
To me it seems the only reason why they usually give you the same firmware for each update is incase you're new to the device and don't have the recommended parts, as they provide you with them always you can always just copy and paste them all into the same folder for each update... but for someone who already has them I tend to just copy the parts they require you to do just being those ones that update the OS version. I did a check of the file sizes of the others they provide and they always have the same size of file in them, of course you're more than welcome to update all of them but I tend to worry something bad happens if they all get replaced so I tended to just copy the ones I needed and not the others... only with the rare reason that the SUPERFX games no longer ran unless I copied all of the provided files into the same folder as the OS would give that garbled text screen many confirm otherwise.
[quote Random dating spambotJ

Post changed:

Great, the photo didn't load! Does anyone know how to fix this?
In any case, my other photos can be viewed here, I will be glad to meet you, I love flirt))

P.S Richardragon87! Don't write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!

Offline Kobeskillz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2021, 10:37 PM »
You should delete the whole folder and replace it with a fresh one. Don't mix new and old OS files.
Don't forget to backup your save files and any BIOS files you put there yourself, and copy them to the new OS.

So the only thing i should keep from the old folder is the saves? Everything else grab new from the new firmware folder and everything in there?

BIOS?

Offline dreimer

• View Profile
    • Reimi's Blog
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2021, 09:26 AM »
He is talking about these files: https://www.caitsith2.com/snes/dsp/

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2021, 01:10 PM »
There is also the BS-X BIOS that you need to play Satellaview games. There is a translated version so the town-whose-name-was-stolen speaks English if you want, but either version works.
The BIOS files are no big deal if you delete them as you can just download them again. The save files is the only thing you really need to keep. You should make regular backups of them anyway. Delete the whole firmware folder (after salvaging the saves) and copy a fresh one to the root of the SD card. It's said that it's best to first unzip the folder to the harddrive then copy to the SD. Then copy your saves to the save folder on the SD.

To me it seems the only reason why they usually give you the same firmware for each update is incase you're new to the device and don't have the recommended parts, as they provide you with them always you can always just copy and paste them all into the same folder for each update... but for someone who already has them I tend to just copy the parts they require you to do just being those ones that update the OS version. I did a check of the file sizes of the others they provide and they always have the same size of file in them, of course you're more than welcome to update all of them but I tend to worry something bad happens if they all get replaced so I tended to just copy the ones I needed and not the others... only with the rare reason that the SUPERFX games no longer ran unless I copied all of the provided files into the same folder as the OS would give that garbled text screen many confirm otherwise.
You are thinking too much and are worried about the wrong things. Deleting the old OS and copying a new OS is obviously perfectly safe. Mixing old and new files however isn't very safe. You can't just compare the file size and assume they are the same just because they have the same size and name. You have to check every bit that they are identical. It's much faster to just copy the whole new folder though.
Deleting the OS and replacing it with a fresh one has the benefit of resetting all settings to default, and fixing any glitches that may have happened over the years. It probably causes less fragmentation problems as well.
It's probably because you do weird things like this that you have those weird problems with the region auto-patcher for example.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 01:19 PM by nuu »

Offline Richardragon87

• SNESAdvance Revival Coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2021, 02:23 PM »
It's probably because you do weird things like this that you have those weird problems with the region auto-patcher for example.

Surface to say I could agree to that. But the issues of the Region problem many have even when they update the way you say it should, happened even before I updated my device as the original time I did was back when Redguy's SDD1 was incorporated into the official firmware, it's likely due to how old the SD2SNES is I have which caused it to happen as no updates were done to it for years as the last one was a good 7 years ago back then as I recall it didn't have the in game hook update or the 50/60HZ feature along with a lot of other stuff.
[quote Random dating spambotJ

Post changed:

Great, the photo didn't load! Does anyone know how to fix this?
In any case, my other photos can be viewed here, I will be glad to meet you, I love flirt))

P.S Richardragon87! Don't write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2021, 02:33 PM »
Well I don't really know the exact cause of your problems, only that I don't have them and I haven't heard anyone else having them.
It could just be a fragmentation problem, in which case you should reformat the SD card and copy a fresh firmware and the roms anew. By copying a freshly unzipped firmware folder you can be sure none of the files have corrupted as well, or else the unzip program you use would complain.