Author Topic: No games/roms show up in the UI  (Read 1282 times)

Offline flyrider

• View Profile
Re: No games/roms show up in the UI
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2021, 10:07 PM »
Ok, after cleaning using the toothbrush, it seems to behave stable. But now I can’t boot roms that are using enhancement chips like Yoshis Island and Starwing. This was possible before the cleaning. Are there any particular pins that can cause this behavior if they have bad contact? If so, I could focus on cleaning them a bit more.

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2021, 11:16 AM »
That's weird. Starwing (real cartridge), MSU-1 and the SGB1 uses the first of the outer pins (the "MCK" pin) as clock input but Yoshi's Island doesn't use any of the outer pins. All real Super FX carts has the other pins but Starwing is the only one actually using them if I recall correctly. SGB1, SGB2 and MSU-1 also uses some of the other outer pins (the two sound expansion pins for mixing their expansion sound with the sound output). It was confirmed that Starwing should work on the FXPAK (but not the real cartridge) even without the MCK pin though, as the FXPAK doesn't use it for its Super FX core, so I wonder if that pin really is the problem. It shouldn't affect Yoshi's Island anyway.

Check this thread about the MCK pin problems affecting people with a newer FXPAK and a PPU2 revision 1 or 2: https://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=11292.0
Your PPU2 is revision 3 though so it might not be relevant.

It could always be a problem with your SNES, or it's an unknown bug in the FXPAK. I wish Krikzz and Ikari would show their faces here a bit more often.

Offline flyrider

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2021, 12:39 PM »
And today nothing works again… I really don’t get it. My snes can play normal cartridges, so why is it behaving this unpredictable when running the FXPak. The weird thing is that it seems to help temporarily when cleaning/breathing into the slot. Sometimes it even runs fine for a couple of hours. If it only would fail in a consistent way so It was possible to troubleshoot, this drives me crazy.

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2021, 04:23 PM »
If it's a problem with the SNES it could be many things causing irregular behavior. Poor solder joints, poor capacitors or poor power supply to name some of the more common problems.

Offline flyrider

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2021, 05:37 PM »
I seem to have solved it! At least it’s been running without issues for the last 24 hours 😀

I noticed that I had the snes version that has the 62 pin connector that is replaceable without soldering, so I ordered a “new” one and replaced it. After that, it just worked.

I’m so happy that it wasn’t anything more serious.

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2021, 01:18 PM »
So it was probably bad solder joints or dirty cart connector. Good to hear that you got it fixed. :)