Poll

Would you like an isolated RTC function on the GBA?

Yes
6 (75%)
No
2 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Author Topic: REQUEST: Isolated RTC Function for GBA X5  (Read 1261 times)

Offline luisito8m

• View Profile
REQUEST: Isolated RTC Function for GBA X5
« on: July 10, 2021, 03:34 PM »
The GBA X5, I would say it is flawless.
Can it be improved? Yea, always. Look at the change log: http://krikzz.com/pub/support/everdrive-gba/OS/changelist.txt

So here is my take:

When it comes to the GBA X5's RTC (real time clock) and Pokemon GBA games, some things are left to be desired.
The GBA X5 performs exactly as it is designed, but the Pokemon ROMs are designed to reset the time every time you start a new game. The unfriendliness comes from the Pokemon ROM itself. This affects other games when switching to another ROM, specially if you are jumping between Pokemon games. Clock gets reset, and the adjustment glitches things inside the game. (And I am going to only refer to Pokemon games in this thread, I am sure other games outside Pokemon are time dependent and get their share of glitches, but I won't make this thread more complicated).

I think we are all familiar with that.

Why do I bring this up? Because Pokemon is a flagship game series from Nintendo. A lot of people buy entire systems (whether GB, GBP, GBC, GBA, DS, 2DS, 3DS, Switch, etc) just to play Pokemon. So I believe that extra attention could be given here, seeing the weight and importance that Pokemon has across all Nintendo history.

(There is already a post where someone asked directly about a GBA X7. This is not about a GBA X7).

What I believe has not been yet discussed is, if the GBA X5, either a future (software) update, or a future (hardware) revision could integrate the isolated RTC function that the GB X7 has. This would pretty much solve solve any issues that are time dependent and avoid all glitches caused by the ROM reseting the RTC. As every ROM will have its independent counter.

What are your thoughts? Would you benefit from this function? I definitely would. If you do, I would be amazing to see your support on this thread, perhaps it inspires Krikzz to implement it. (We are the people buying this stuff, and when directed through the proper channel in a friendly dialog, it can be well received by the designer).

I hope my thread makes sense, and I don't sound like a crazy person.

I guess that ends my speech. Thanks for reading.  ;D

Offline Richardragon87

• SNESAdvance Revival Coder
    • View Profile
Re: REQUEST: Isolated RTC Function for GBA X5
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2021, 10:28 PM »
I must be the only person who hasn't played a Pokémon mainline game on the everdrives likely as those RTC's are the reason why the battery drains so fast in them, even if the GBA everdrives had that feature don't you think the battery would be taken up much faster than it was before... normal games that don't have the RTC seem to make the device last a bit longer and for me it was already flawless when I saw what it could play ^^
[quote Random dating spambotJ

Post changed:

Great, the photo didn't load! Does anyone know how to fix this?
In any case, my other photos can be viewed here, I will be glad to meet you, I love flirt))

P.S Richardragon87! Don't write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!

Offline luisito8m

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2021, 04:44 AM »
I must be the only person who hasn't played a Pokémon mainline game on the everdrives likely as those RTC's are the reason why the battery drains so fast in them, even if the GBA everdrives had that feature don't you think the battery would be taken up much faster than it was before... normal games that don't have the RTC seem to make the device last a bit longer and for me it was already flawless when I saw what it could play ^^

The RTC consumes such a tiny amount of mA (most likely nA, a whole order of magnitude less) that the battery should last a couple of years, plus it is super easy to replace. I have not taken a look what size battery it came with but a CR2016 or CR2025 you get up to 5 years, and with a CR2032 up to ten, depending on the quality. I have never met anyone that has changed the coin cell battery on an everdrive yet.

If you are talking about the GBA’s main battery, then I say the GBA X5 doesnt emulate; it runs the ROM natively once the ROM is loaded into the chip; what is eating your battery life must be another mod, such as the IPS screen if you got one, or if you have a rechargeable LiPo (they have a fraction of mAh capacity from what two AAs hold, 5000 mAh on two Eneloop Pros) But that is off topic from this thread. 😅

Offline Richardragon87

• SNESAdvance Revival Coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2021, 10:59 PM »

The RTC consumes such a tiny amount of mA (most likely nA, a whole order of magnitude less) that the battery should last a couple of years, plus it is super easy to replace. I have not taken a look what size battery it came with but a CR2016 or CR2025 you get up to 5 years, and with a CR2032 up to ten, depending on the quality. I have never met anyone that has changed the coin cell battery on an everdrive yet.

If you are talking about the GBA’s main battery, then I say the GBA X5 doesnt emulate; it runs the ROM natively once the ROM is loaded into the chip; what is eating your battery life must be another mod, such as the IPS screen if you got one, or if you have a rechargeable LiPo (they have a fraction of mAh capacity from what two AAs hold, 5000 mAh on two Eneloop Pros) But that is off topic from this thread. 😅

It's interesting you mentioned the IP's screens eating up battery life, I do have a physical and a custom AGS-101 but for preserving and better brightness I always used the custom refurbished one.
[quote Random dating spambotJ

Post changed:

Great, the photo didn't load! Does anyone know how to fix this?
In any case, my other photos can be viewed here, I will be glad to meet you, I love flirt))

P.S Richardragon87! Don't write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!

Offline taiyotenko

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2021, 03:40 AM »
As a Boktai player I think it would be a pretty good feature, but I am not sure how hard would be to implement. I wish that at least GBA X5 had an option to change the clock from the OS menu.
The RTC feature on flashcards seems to be really hard. One year ago, the EZ Flash team had released the EZ Flash JR for Gameboy and until now they couldn't figure it out how to make the RTC to work properly.

Offline Shadow666

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2021, 01:16 PM »
As a Boktai player I think it would be a pretty good feature, but I am not sure how hard would be to implement. I wish that at least GBA X5 had an option to change the clock from the OS menu.
The RTC feature on flashcards seems to be really hard. One year ago, the EZ Flash team had released the EZ Flash JR for Gameboy and until now they couldn't figure it out how to make the RTC to work properly.

the RTC works fine here on my EZ-Flash Jr.

Offline James Cree

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2021, 02:16 AM »

Same on EZ Flash ODE

Offline taiyotenko

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2021, 05:44 AM »

Which firmware and OS version are you using? As far as I know, the clock is still skiping some minutes a day.

Offline dav3yb

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2021, 01:53 AM »
It would certainly be nice if each game could keep it's own RTC, but once you kind of understand how the Pokemon games interact w/ the Everdrive, it's not too bad overall. 

I made a thread a while back exploring it and posting my findings: http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=10360

Basically, for Ruby and/or Sapphire, after you start the game, you just need to set the in-game clock to 00:0X, where X is total in-game minutes have passed since starting (if you go strait to the clock from the opening, it's usually ~2 minutes).  After saving, you can go back out and into a game like Boktai, that allows manual time/date setting, and set it to current, which will update the RTC file for Ruby/Sapphire.

For Emerald it's a bit different, as you can just set the correct time/date in Boktai, then start the game in Emerald, and set the clock to the current time, as Emerald doesn't seem to reset the date when a new file is made, and the game just reads what the clock reads to determine it's timestamps. 

I'm not sure other than Boktai/Pokemon games that use the RTC on GBA, but following the above directions will ensure your in-game time corresponds to real time.

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2021, 01:38 PM »
An isolated RTC function could probably be added in an OS update. Isn't it just a special save file for the RTC's data that gets loaded when you load a game that uses the RTC?