Author Topic: Getting a transfer pak to work  (Read 562 times)

Offline Prinny64

• View Profile
Getting a transfer pak to work
« on: July 19, 2021, 01:45 PM »
Hi, I'm new to the Everdrive scene and thus far I'm quite enjoying my ED. But there's just two games in particular I'm a bit concerned over. Mickey's Speedway USA and Mario Tennis(and Golf if I ever get a GBC copy). No matter how many times I try, I can't get the Transfer Pak to work with them. I admit I've always had difficulty with these things, but I just wanted to know if I'm wasting my time trying to get this thing to work for once.

Offline saturnu

• ヽ(^o^)丿
    • View Profile
    • :D
Re: Getting a transfer pak to work
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2021, 08:44 PM »
It should work, keep in mind that you need the us gb cartridge for the us n64 rom and eu cartridge for the eu n64 rom etc.
The connection between the transfer pack and the controller is a bit fiddly, try to clean the connector with some isoprop alcohol, or window cleaner if you don't have anything "pure".

Offline Prinny64

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2021, 01:35 AM »
Just for clarification this is an X7.

These things are old so perhaps a good swabbing and a sturdier hold is all they need. Though I am a bit paranoid since something weird happened while using an expansion pak. Seems the thing died, so we tried using Bomberman 64's pak menu on the Everdrive(the one from holding start on boot) to test it out, but we got stuck and had to turn off the system. After that we had a bit of issues getting any expansion pak to work, but after swapping to Space Invaders' cart and running a couple repairs we finally got them working again(our "Dragoon" for Bomberman 64 pak still says "can't be repaired" in menus but functions perfectly fine anyway somehow). Should I consider backing up my files and reformatting the SD card as well?

Offline jonesalmighty

• View Profile
    • GitHub
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2021, 01:53 AM »
It might be worth downgrading your OS (menu version) to pre 3.05 and see if you have the same result...

Also, it might be worth trying to dump the cart via the utility http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=10921.0 and see if that works...

This might lead to valuable information as to why it is not working...
Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth...

Offline Prinny64

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2021, 01:58 AM »
Update. I just got it working. Darn thing simply needed to be held steady, so I let the game start while the controller rested on the table and just unlocked Huey in Mickey's Speedway.

Well that's one less reason for that Retrode I ordered, but oh well, I still needed that so I could copy my 100% Mario Party 1-3 and Bomberman 64 2 files.