Poll

Have you tried this OS (V2.12.5)

No, I dont plan to, my current os does everything I need...
0 (0%)
No, I am waiting for an official version from Krikzz
0 (0%)
Yes, it works great and I am on H.W. V2
0 (0%)
Yes, it works great and I am on H.W V2.5
0 (0%)
Yes it works great and I am on H.W V3.0
0 (0%)
No it doesn't work properly (please leave a comment for why)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: December 22, 2018, 10:14 PM

Author Topic: Unofficial-Official ED64 OS  (Read 21974 times)

Offline CrashOveride

• View Profile
Re: Unofficial-Official ED64 OS
« Reply #45 on: August 09, 2020, 08:56 AM »
Pity the controller pak menu didn't have a "Copy to SD" instead of just copy to another controller.

Trev

Do you mean the external one that jones posted?

Online jonesalmighty

• View Profile
    • GitHub
« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2020, 12:17 AM »
Minor release (probably for homebrew dev's only)!
Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth...

Offline Lollie

• View Profile
    • Lollie.me
« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2020, 01:52 PM »
I just wanted to put in a vote of interest for this OS to eventually support Everdrive X7, the higher resolution menu looks super nice. 👍

Online jonesalmighty

• View Profile
    • GitHub
« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2020, 11:37 PM »
I just wanted to put in a vote of interest for this OS to eventually support Everdrive X7, the higher resolution menu looks super nice. 👍

Thanks. I would also suggest that if you find helpful features here, you ensure that Krikzz is aware (and why) so they make it into his official OS. I do not have the source for the major (and underlying firmware) changes that happened with the X7, so I am limited now in how much further I can progress (unless I get back to work on the Altra64 and take notes from decomp projects), but without community support, I struggle to find enthusiasm, and would much rather that the community help to make krikzz OS better... BTW, if you havent seen already if there is anyone that would like to help, please improve https://github.com/krikzz/ED64/pull/5 . This will help the wider homebrew community, and perhaps spur others into action about the menu...
Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth...

Online jonesalmighty

• View Profile
    • GitHub
« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2020, 11:42 PM »
BTW, for the V3.0 and V2.5, I still think that the features in this version of the OS are still superior to Krikzz `X` version (I hope he is listening) and still plan to improve on it. I would much rather collaborate/ merge it into the official one if the situation were possible (I have invited krikzz a few times), but this is why the thread exists...

Offline IRL Random Hajile

• Bounty Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 20, 2020, 02:24 AM »
This looks really neato! I'm gonna give this OS of yours a try on my EverDrive 64 V3, since I've run into a few compatibility issues with the recent ED64 OS update. Plus, I do miss the option for a higher resolution menu. I'll letcha know how it goes on my end.
Hopefully the features and such presented here will eventually be merged over to the X7 OS, that way Krikzz's X7 OS can have all these extra features and X7 owners won't feel left out.

EDIT: I went and gave your Unofficial-Official ED64 OS a try, and I'm pretty pleased with how it works! Was having strange issues with Harvest Moon 64 not saving to SRAM correctly on the X7 v3.04 update, along with Neon64 V2.0 beta 3 showing error messages on games that were stated to be working within Neon64's changelog. This OS doesn't have any of those problems.
Feels good to have that 640x480 menu resolution again!
« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 04:35 AM by IRL Random Hajile »
"BH75001, Random Hajile... that's
R-A-N-D-O-M H-A-J-I-L-E."

Offline Trevor

• Goldfinger64 Dev Location:UK
  • Everdrive64 v2 (PAL)
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 20, 2020, 05:27 PM »
without community support, I struggle to find enthusiasm, and would much rather that the community help to make krikzz OS better...

Well, since Im on V2 your OS is better than Krikzz last v2.14 so I very much appreciate your contribution, especially since OS development seems really slow.

But it would be nice if development could be unified since most people like having extra features.

What is the featureset of the x7 OS?

How does this compare to the featureset of v2.12.8

Trev

Online Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 20, 2020, 08:31 PM »
Speaking as someone who's not yet tried Jonesalmighty's OS, what does it offer that v2.14 of the official OS doesn't? I have a v2.0 Everdrive, so v3.x OS updates won't work for me.

Online jonesalmighty

• View Profile
    • GitHub
« Reply #53 on: September 21, 2020, 11:23 PM »
Well, since Im on V2 your OS is better than Krikzz last v2.14 so I very much appreciate your contribution, especially since OS development seems really slow.

But it would be nice if development could be unified since most people like having extra features.

What is the featureset of the x7 OS?

I would also love that, but unlikely to happen anytime soon. Since you are involved in the scene, if you know of any devs that would be interesting in mocking up a good looking GUI for a menu, I would be really interested (find me as "networkfusion" on discord (n64brew) or DM me here).

The major features of the X7 are mainly for developers (although still needs improvement) such as being able to detect the current ED64 cart (https://github.com/krikzz/ED64/blob/master/docs/hardware_identification.md)... Oh and the ability to use EXFAT file system on an SD card [X7 only] as it has swapped to using the FatFS OSS lib (like I paved the way for in Altra64) so possibly the fragmentation issues are a thing of the past (although not in this OS yet!). The latest release of the OS (3.05) adds some further improvements towards what has already been done by me in this post (although not everything).

Speaking as someone who's not yet tried Jonesalmighty's OS, what does it offer that v2.14 of the official OS doesn't? I have a v2.0 Everdrive, so v3.x OS updates won't work for me.

Just read the first post... For the V2.0 Game saves are improved for PAL games, later neon emus work properly, the menu resolution has more options and possibly more!.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 11:43 PM by jonesalmighty »

Online Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 23, 2020, 07:39 PM »

Just read the first post... [/quote]

Oh, I saw the (extensive) updates list, of course, and it is informative and impressive. It's just that some of the text means little to me, as someone who has never programmed an N64. For example, the remarks:

- Swap to CMake build system and latest custom libdragon

- Update to latest GCC compiler version

- Update to latest GCC compiler version

I assume they are to increase speed or reliability, but offer no noticeable improvements to the end user in themselves (that's not a bad thing, of course, I'm just saying that to the end user their mention in the updates list doesn't convey information about how they improve the unofficial OS's usage or feature set).

For the V2.0 Game saves are improved for PAL games, later neon emus work properly, the menu resolution has more options and possibly more!.

Sounds great! But what was the problem with PAL game saves? Admittedly I mostly use NTSC N64 roms, despite being in the UK, partly because only NTSC roms tend to have mods/hacks made for them, but mainly because that way I avoid the issue of some PAL games being inferior to the NTSC rom due to lazy porting.

Online jonesalmighty

• View Profile
    • GitHub
« Reply #55 on: September 23, 2020, 11:10 PM »
I understand, but a changelog is a changelog, and it has to be for the wider audience, the same as other software. If I was just to say "bugfixes and minor features", it would piss me off (like most changelogs for apps on android/IOS store), so you only look for things you recognise and take the rest with a pinch of salt.

With PAL, there are games that were not released in other regions (including protos although few I must admit), and my fixes mainly relate to them (since my real collection (which I dumped using sanni cart reader) fixes the issues I have found). Also, this relates to others that may use the PAL set, so it is compatible for all. Krikzz cart/menu is best out the box with the NTSC ROM packs i agree, but lacks a bit with things like PAL save types (so does all info found online to be honest). Anyway, the PAL region consoles N64 crystal does not match the NTSC console and so makes NTSC region games less likely to work correctly if you dont have a compatible TV (or mod) to display them correctly.

Like I say, each to their own when it comes to using this menu. It serves a purpose for gamers (like yourself) including adding later features to older carts for the moment, and helps homebrew developers get access to features that allow gamers to play there ROM's.

Offline oneup

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 02, 2020, 03:33 AM »
I recently updated to the official v3.05 firmware, but I'm missing the Automatic CPAK backup feature.

I'm interested in moving to your V2.12.9 release instead of going back to stock v2.13.
How is the testing going for it?

Online jonesalmighty

• View Profile
    • GitHub
« Reply #57 on: May 11, 2021, 03:15 AM »
Note to self... (not that I can test) https://gitlab.com/pixelfx-public/n64-game-id

Online jonesalmighty

• View Profile
    • GitHub
« Reply #58 on: May 13, 2021, 04:50 AM »
2.12.9 Preview released... please provide feedback.

Offline IRL Random Hajile

• Bounty Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 13, 2021, 07:00 AM »
2.12.9 Preview released... please provide feedback.
Beautiful!
So far, I'm not having issues with the OS, and the Dinosaur Planet + DK64 Kiosk Demo savetypes are working as intended which is good! I will however let you know if something strange happens when I test it more once I get back home.
I'm aware that you don't accept feature requests as stated on the front post of this thread, but...
One of the things I do like about the X7 OS that would be nice to be brought over here is the way cheats are handled. Like, you could type in custom descriptions to each GameShark code added to a chosen ROM, and it would automatically create a .txt file in the "cheats" folder matching the ROM filename. Makes it easier to know which code does what when highlighting each one.
Plus, I remember v2.13 official OS from Krikzz actually had 640x480p resolution in the menu, which looks way cleaner/sharper than 640x480i through my CRT TV that I use. Wondering if it's possible to somehow implement 480p menu resolution like old v2.13 OS?
(Just some personal suggestions, but you don't have to add these in if you don't want to).

EDIT: Am back home for now, and I've noticed a little bug upon some testing. For some reason, when booting up the Doubutsu no Mori/Animal Forest ROM and resetting back to the menu, Expansion Pak detection starts saying "Not Installed" (looking in "Device Information") unless you turn off the console and then turn it back on. It seems to be this game in particular that ends up disabling the Expansion Pak from being detected in the OS even though one's already inserted into the N64.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 06:46 AM by IRL Random Hajile »
"BH75001, Random Hajile... that's
R-A-N-D-O-M H-A-J-I-L-E."