Poll

Have you tried this OS (V2.12.5)

No, I dont plan to, my current os does everything I need...
0 (0%)
No, I am waiting for an official version from Krikzz
0 (0%)
Yes, it works great and I am on H.W. V2
0 (0%)
Yes, it works great and I am on H.W V2.5
0 (0%)
Yes it works great and I am on H.W V3.0
0 (0%)
No it doesn't work properly (please leave a comment for why)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: December 22, 2018, 10:14 PM

Author Topic: Unofficial-Official ED64 OS  (Read 25718 times)

Offline The Renegadist

• View Profile
Re: Unofficial-Official ED64 OS
« Reply #60 on: May 16, 2021, 03:03 AM »
This is definitely an obscure issue and not one I expect to be fixed easily but I've been messing around with the Startech USB3UDHC capture card and I noticed that it absolutely does not like The ED64 for whatever reason. I've gathered it has to be the process of switching between the ED64 menu and booting into a game that's throwing it in a loop but I'm not 100% sure. At first I thought it was the different resolutions of the game and menu causing issues and switched it to 240 and back but luck, in fact, changing any of the settings had absolutely no change.

I don't know if that's even something you can address with your project but I'm putting it out there on the off chance you either have the same card and can troubleshoot why it's happening or you know why it's happening without and can possibly fix this. I should mention that GoldenEye sometimes boots into the game and works fine up until you select a level then it loses the signal. So far this is the only game that actually loads. I should also mention standard N64 carts load just fine which is why I'm thinking the process from switching from ED menu to game throws it off.

I haven't tried your newest  preview release yet but I did see you can autoboot into games which would fix the issue but it's going to be a pain to go into that file everytime just to specify one game that can be played. Not even mentioning I use the horrible built-in SD reader on my PC which either doesn't recognize it or it stops recognizing it after about 3 minutes before requiring a system reboot.

So anyway, bottom line, there's the issue and I'm hoping you can work out some kind of miracle, doc.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2021, 03:07 AM by The Renegadist »

Offline Trevor

• Goldfinger64 Dev Location:UK
  • Everdrive64 v2 (PAL)
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 17, 2021, 02:07 PM »
I remember v2.13 official OS from Krikzz actually had 640x480p resolution in the menu, which looks way cleaner/sharper than 640x480i through my CRT TV that I use. Wondering if it's possible to somehow implement 480p menu resolution like old v2.13 OS?

You remember wrongly as the official OS has the same resolutions as this version. On top of that there is a physical reason for this to be wrong, the N64 ONLY supports 480i output.
240p is achieved by the N64 not switching fields between re-traces.

Trev

Offline IRL Random Hajile

• Bounty Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 17, 2021, 10:38 PM »
You remember wrongly as the official OS has the same resolutions as this version. On top of that there is a physical reason for this to be wrong, the N64 ONLY supports 480i output.

Trev
Is the changelog for Krikzz's v2.13 incorrect in what it says? It clearly states this info on his site:
"2.13
1) Menu video mode changed to 240p/480p.
2) All four controller ports is active in menu."

Temporarily switching the OS64.v64 file with the Official v2.13 version, I can confirm that v2.13's 640x480 option does in fact look better, and even makes the menu background look less blurry to look at. Perhaps there's some visual trick being pulled off that makes 640x480 resolution look sharper in v2.13 firmware than it does here?
"BH75001, Random Hajile... that's
R-A-N-D-O-M H-A-J-I-L-E."

Offline jonesalmighty

• View Profile
    • GitHub
« Reply #63 on: May 18, 2021, 03:01 AM »

Trev
Is the changelog for Krikzz's v2.13 incorrect in what it says? It clearly states this info on his site:
"2.13
1) Menu video mode changed to 240p/480p.
2) All four controller ports is active in menu."

Temporarily switching the OS64.v64 file with the Official v2.13 version, I can confirm that v2.13's 640x480 option does in fact look better, and even makes the menu background look less blurry to look at. Perhaps there's some visual trick being pulled off that makes 640x480 resolution look sharper in v2.13 firmware than it does here?

Trevor is correct in the fact that the N64 is incapable of outputting 480p (so perhaps krikzz just named it wrong and meant 480i). However, I was playing around with the configuration for the display when getting ready for font improvements, so could have made the output worse... I will look into it (would be worth seeing if my older OS releases also look better).

I think I have just fixed the issue you reported about the expansion pak, but not (quite) ready for another preview yet...
Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth...

• Bounty Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 18, 2021, 05:23 AM »
Trevor is correct in the fact that the N64 is incapable of outputting 480p (so perhaps krikzz just named it wrong and meant 480i). However, I was playing around with the configuration for the display when getting ready for font improvements, so could have made the output worse... I will look into it (would be worth seeing if my older OS releases also look better).

I think I have just fixed the issue you reported about the expansion pak, but not (quite) ready for another preview yet...
It's a possibility that Krikzz may have mistitled it, the changelog written by Krikzz gave me the initial impression that 480p could be done on N64... I would like a definitive answer from the man himself to see how he did it and why it ends up looking clearer.
I think it would be worth looking into as Official OS v2.13's 640x480 menu resolution does look significantly sharper than Official OS v2.12's 640x480 menu resolution. The difference in visual clarity is even more noticeable when using S-Video or better. (S-Video is what I use for my N64, better than composite!)

Also good to hear about that Expansion Pak bug being fixed. So far I haven't come across any other issues using your latest public PREVIEW release, and have been able to play games on here without problem. If I do happen to stumble across another bug or something like that, I'll let you know!

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 18, 2021, 01:06 PM »
It's probably a typo. The development manual only mentions a low resolution (320x240) and a high resolution (640x480) mode, and the high one is always interlaced: https://ultra64.ca/files/documentation/online-manuals/man-v5-1/pro-man/pro29/29-01.htm#03

Offline Trevor

• Everdrive64 v2 (PAL)
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 18, 2021, 11:02 PM »
And de-flickered interlace averages odd and even fields so that no one field line has pixel data on it that the opposite field does not (which would otherwise flash at 30hz).
So the "sharpest" image is 480i "Normal" - with tops and bottom of text usually flickering slightly (and any other px high elements)
De-Flickered is almost an "expensive 240p" except it achieves vertical AA.

Trev

Offline jonesalmighty

• View Profile
    • GitHub
« Reply #67 on: May 24, 2021, 06:13 PM »
2.12.9 Preview 2 released... please provide feedback (taking into account the original preview release).

Hopefully this one will change to the full release as it stands, if no one finds any issues with it!

Also, feedback around the changes to menu filelist colours appreciated (for better or worse) as it is subjective and want to get it as right as I can!
« Last Edit: May 24, 2021, 06:27 PM by jonesalmighty »
Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth...

• Bounty Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 24, 2021, 07:47 PM »
2.12.9 Preview 2 released... please provide feedback (taking into account the original preview release).

Hopefully this one will change to the full release as it stands, if no one finds any issues with it!

Also, feedback around the changes to menu filelist colours appreciated (for better or worse) as it is subjective and want to get it as right as I can!
Solid! Just wanted to pop by and provide a little feedback.
I really like the blue-ish color of the filenames in the menu instead of gray (might be a bit biased on that part though due to blue being my favorite color). Though personally, I would prefer the color of the folders/directories to be of a different color (either back to the original yellow, or maybe a different color like green or something, to contrast from the ROM filenames).
Before, it was easier to quickly glance at the screen knowing what was a directory vs. what was a ROM without having to look at the right side. With both directories and ROMs being of a blue color, it starts looking kinda samey with a lengthy list of files. An extra color would make a difference.
Also, the fix for Expansion Pak detection doesn't seem to be working right. Booted up Doubutsu no Mori for a bit, resetted back to the menu to check the Expansion Pak detection, and it says "Not Installed".

Offline jonesalmighty

• View Profile
    • GitHub
« Reply #69 on: May 26, 2021, 10:36 PM »

Solid! Just wanted to pop by and provide a little feedback.
I really like the blue-ish color of the filenames in the menu instead of gray (might be a bit biased on that part though due to blue being my favorite color). Though personally, I would prefer the color of the folders/directories to be of a different color (either back to the original yellow, or maybe a different color like green or something, to contrast from the ROM filenames).
Before, it was easier to quickly glance at the screen knowing what was a directory vs. what was a ROM without having to look at the right side. With both directories and ROMs being of a blue color, it starts looking kinda samey with a lengthy list of files. An extra color would make a difference.
Also, the fix for Expansion Pak detection doesn't seem to be working right. Booted up Doubutsu no Mori for a bit, resetted back to the menu to check the Expansion Pak detection, and it says "Not Installed".
I have changed the folders to a slightly darker blue. I need to check the issue with Doubutsu no Mori still, but dont see that as a blocking issue as it is probably present in all previous OS releases (and probably Krikzz official ones...).

I take further silence as a reason for a stable release... The only current blocker is whether I need to change the "N64 Digital" feature in any way...

But FOR THOSE INTERESTED:
V2.12.9.preview.3
IS NOW AVAILABLE!

Offline jonesalmighty

• View Profile
    • GitHub
« Reply #70 on: June 02, 2021, 06:24 PM »
V2.12.9 has now been released.

Please see the first post for link and changelog.

Offline johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 07, 2021, 03:54 AM »
Thank you, but I do not understand the structure of the folders,I already read the first post,   sorry  :-[ , could you post a zip file with the folder arrangement or an image? please

• Bounty Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 07, 2021, 08:53 AM »
Thank you, but I do not understand the structure of the folders,I already read the first post,   sorry  :-[ , could you post a zip file with the folder arrangement or an image? please
This is how I've personally got my files/folders structured within the "ED64" OS folder using this firmware:

BGR               (folder where a collection of 320x240/640x480 wallpapers in .bmp format are stashed)
CHEATS        (folder where Gameshark codes are stored via .txt files, matching a ROM's filename)
EMU              (folder where emulators like Neon64's emu.nes or GB64's emu.gb / emu.gbc are placed)
PATCHER     (folder where .ips / .aps patches are stored for soft patching purposes)
SAVE             (folder where .eep / .srm / .fla cartridge saves and .mpk Controller Pak files are created)
OS64.v64     (file is self explanatory)
save_db.txt  (file where all the CRC HI / ROM ID magic ensues)

That's how I've had mine structured for a while now and it's been working well.

Offline johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 07, 2021, 08:16 PM »
thank you IRL Random Hajile

Offline Trevor

• Everdrive64 v2 (PAL)
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 11, 2021, 06:44 PM »
oh wow, new updates, its a tad annoying that the forum does not keep threads marked as unread until actually read (or "mark forum as read").
The forum seems to only show unreads for the current day.

Anyway, I will test this asap

Thank you for your continued development,
Trev