Author Topic: EDGB X7 : "Recently played list" mystery, bug?  (Read 4198 times)

Offline TheShadowRunner

• View Profile
EDGB X7 : "Recently played list" mystery, bug?
« on: November 07, 2017, 09:58 AM »
So I was testing a small homebrew ROM, 32kb and then decided to delete it from my microSD card.
But it was still listed in the "Recently played list", so I tried to launch it out of curiosity, and guess what, it actually launched although it was deleted from the microSD.

So I tried to overwrite the full 8mb flash with the biggest ROM: Densha De Go 2.
Went back to recently played list, launched the deleted hombrew ROM again, it worked......
How is that even possible?
How does the "Recently played list" exactly work, how does it point to ROMs? It's not per path, it's impossible since the homebrew rom was deleted, yet it still loaded.

Krikkz please shed some light on this.
Also a function to empty the "Recently played list" completely would be welcome, like holding the SELECT button for 3 seconds while it's displayed, or something.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 06:59 PM by TheShadowRunner »

Offline traal

• View Profile
Re: EDGB X7 : "Recently played list" extreme mystery, bug?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2017, 06:54 AM »
Maybe the EverDrive stores a link to the location on the SD card so when you try to play the game, it loads from the old location. (Remember, deleting a file only marks it as deleted, but the contents are still there until they're overwritten.)

Could you fill up the SD card with something, or defragment it, and then try again? If it crashes then it's a real bug.

Offline TheShadowRunner

• View Profile
Re: EDGB X7 : "Recently played list" extreme mystery, bug?
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2017, 05:29 PM »
Maybe the EverDrive stores a link to the location on the SD card so when you try to play the game, it loads from the old location. (Remember, deleting a file only marks it as deleted, but the contents are still there until they're overwritten.)
That's the thing, it cannot be a path to the location as the file doesn't exist anymore!
I wonder what method is used then.

Could you fill up the SD card with something, or defragment it, and then try again? If it crashes then it's a real bug.
Yes I tried to fill up the card, and as you expected it crashed (when attempting to load the deleted homebrew from the "Recently played" list). The Nintendo logo was completely corrupted and the system froze.
I think it's a bug. If the file doesn't exist anymore (marked as deleted), the EverDrive shouldn't attempt to load it at all.

Again I think a feature to manually clean up the "Recently played" list would be welcome, there are so many roms to try that it clutters the list very fast (and deleting the history file from PC isn't so handy).
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 05:35 PM by TheShadowRunner »

Offline traal

• View Profile
Re: EDGB X7 : "Recently played list" mystery, bug?
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 08:44 AM »
Probably the easiest thing to do is, if you try to play a deleted game, the menu should tell you the game was deleted and ask if you want to remove it from the recently played list.

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2017, 06:50 PM »
EverDrive  remembers physical location of rom file on the disk and game name (for save files handling). Cartridge do not remember full path of file an do not trying to find file in file system. This way OS working faster and require less memory resources.
After file deleting, system only remove record about file from file system, but actual data still here, so you can still load it with, because everdrive know physical location of of file on the disk. But this way you probably can load only very small files, which fits in one disk cluster, because after file removing, clusters table of file will be removed also.

Offline TheShadowRunner

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2017, 02:57 PM »
I understand, thank you very much for your explanation.
It still would make sense for a way for the EverDrive to check if the file has been marked as deleted, and to not load it to avoid a crash, don't you think?

Also can we hope for a feature to manually clear/empty the "Recently played" list? Again, maybe a button combo, or holding the Select button for a few seconds could do the trick. ^^
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 02:59 PM by TheShadowRunner »