Author Topic: SD2SNES on the verge of death?  (Read 3709 times)

Offline the_randomizer

• View Profile
SD2SNES on the verge of death?
« on: October 04, 2019, 04:05 AM »
So, okay, currently using a Super NT on latest firmware, version 4.9 I think. Well, so I turn on the console, and  up till this point, the SD2SNES has been running flawlessly, but not today, all I get is a black screen, so I turned the console off, reseated the cart and SD card, and it turned on fine. But this time, it asks me to enter the time/date, something that it hasn't done in all the time I owned it. Okay, I thought, nothing to be worried about, so I play a game, then I go back to the Super NT menu, load Super Turrican 2 then the SD2SNES again. Well, this time, it asks me to enter the date for a second time, I'm thinking the SRAM batter is either dying or the cart itself is dying. I mean, yes, I did get secondhand from a friend, at a discount, but damn, I don't know what it means in all honesty.  :'(

Edit: May be a battery that needs to be replaced but since I don't want to spend money for that or a soldering iron, ugh.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 04:20 AM by the_randomizer »

Offline protheanbeacon

• View Profile
Re: SD2SNES on the verge of death?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2019, 04:29 AM »
Pretty sure krikzz/ikari have set up SD2SNES like the rest of krikzz Everdrive line to the best of my knowledge meaning you don't need a soldering iron to replace the batteries in these things, you just need the particular screwdriver an Everdrive or SD2SNES in your possession requires to get the shell apart then you basically carefully poke the battery out of its clip enclosure with the end of said screwdriver or alternative thin poking tool of your choosing and slide a new battery into place, then rescrew the shell, plug the cartridge back into the console and make sure it boots up and you're done.  :P

I did exactly this with my GBA Everdrive X5 after the poster FeverDrive told me I needed a new battery for it a long while ago.
krikzz products I own: SD2SNES, Joyzz, Everdrive GB X7, Everdrive GBA X5, Mega Everdrive X7, Everdrive 64 v3, Everdrive N8, Turbo Everdrive v2, Master Everdrive X7.

Offline the_randomizer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2019, 04:39 AM »
Pretty sure krikzz/ikari have set up SD2SNES like the rest of krikzz Everdrive line to the best of my knowledge meaning you don't need a soldering iron to replace the batteries in these things, you just need the particular screwdriver an Everdrive or SD2SNES in your possession requires to get the shell apart then you basically carefully poke the battery out of its clip enclosure with the end of said screwdriver or alternative thin poking tool of your choosing and slide a new battery into place, then rescrew the shell, plug the cartridge back into the console and make sure it boots up and you're done.  :P

I did exactly this with my GBA Everdrive X5 after the poster FeverDrive told me I needed a new battery for it a long while ago.

Is the time/date refusing to save internally indicative of the battery being dead? I mean, it boots just fine, I get the selection of ROMs and all, custom menu works well too, games boot up, but the battery itself may be kaput. I don't even know what kind of battery it uses, or what kind of screwdriver it needs. I hope it's not one of those bloody tri-wing ones. I just don't want to fork out 200 bones if the entire unit is failing, don't have the means to do that. If I can find someone to service the flashcart, I'd be happy to pay for that.

How do I test the hardware of the cart?

Offline FeverDrive

• Blast Processing advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2019, 05:33 AM »
Is the time/date refusing to save internally indicative of the battery being dead?
Yep.

I just don't want to fork out 200 bones if the entire unit is failing, don't have the means to do that.
Compared to a new SD2SNES a new battery is cheap. Try replacing the battery first.

You can test the hardware with the custom diagnostics firmware, you can download that here: https://sd2snes.de/blog/cool-stuff/sd2snes-diagnostics
WELCO
METOT
HENEX
TLEVEL

Offline the_randomizer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2019, 06:15 AM »
Is the time/date refusing to save internally indicative of the battery being dead?
Yep.

I just don't want to fork out 200 bones if the entire unit is failing, don't have the means to do that.
Compared to a new SD2SNES a new battery is cheap. Try replacing the battery first.

You can test the hardware with the custom diagnostics firmware, you can download that here: https://sd2snes.de/blog/cool-stuff/sd2snes-diagnostics

Ugh, I feel like I've wasted everyone's time >.> turns out it WAS the battery. I found a Walgreen's around here, got a CR2032 battery for a few bucks, took the shell apart, popped the battery off and replaced it. Works flawlessly now, thank you all of you, for being patient with me :3

Offline protheanbeacon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2019, 12:20 AM »
Just curious randomizer but did you really play your SD2SNES a lot before this happened or did you not play it all that much and this happened?

I ask because when I asked FeverDrive about my GBA X5 I'd played it a bit here and there but it wasn't like I was finishing Castlevania games, all the Mario's and various RPG's and fighting games left and right.

I was a play a few minutes kind of guy and then shut it off usually and never really sat down and put hours into it at that point save for maybe an hour or two of Double Dragon Advance (badass co op game possibly the best in the series that everyone should try out thats into fighting games btw).

So anyway before I digress it seemed shortly after buying my GBA X5 from krikzz the battery died or started to die so just wondering if you think you just got a rare "lemon" so to speak as I believe I did?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 12:24 AM by protheanbeacon »
krikzz products I own: SD2SNES, Joyzz, Everdrive GB X7, Everdrive GBA X5, Mega Everdrive X7, Everdrive 64 v3, Everdrive N8, Turbo Everdrive v2, Master Everdrive X7.

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2019, 12:35 AM »
I don't think battery drain is significantly affected from how much you play. Judging by forum posts over the years it's not too uncommon that Everdrives ships with bad batteries that dies early.

Offline the_randomizer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2019, 01:51 AM »
I don't think battery drain is significantly affected from how much you play. Judging by forum posts over the years it's not too uncommon that Everdrives ships with bad batteries that dies early.

I meant to update this, SD2SNES is working fine. Replaced the CR2032 battery and works as it should, it just died is all.

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2019, 12:06 AM »
You just said the exact same thing again though.