Author Topic: EverDrive N8 and Nt Mini Noir (Firmware 1.2) issue  (Read 2181 times)

Offline jsianes

• View Profile
EverDrive N8 and Nt Mini Noir (Firmware 1.2) issue
« on: March 14, 2021, 10:53 PM »
Hi,

I'm experiencing an issue with the recently released Nt Mini Noir firmware version 1.2. With this firmware, my Everdrive N8 shows vertical dot-lines on the screen. I'm totally sure it's not an issue with the cartridge connection. Using this new version, my Everdrive N8 cartridge persistently fails showing this graphical glitch. Details:

Device Info:
-- OS ver: 1.25
-- Bios ver: 5
-- Cpld ver: 2
-- Adate: 30.01.18
-- Atime: 21:18

Example images showing the issue with the new firmware and how it works correctly on previous firmware:

Everdrive N8 device info:

Everdrive N8 and Nt Mini Noir with previous firmware (1.1) - it works fine:

Everdrive N8 and Nt Mini Noir with last firmware (1.2) - it fails showing graphical glitch:

With previous firmware (1.1) everything works fine. I can play with my Everdrive N8 without any issue. All games load as expected as well as original Famicom cartridges.
With new firmware (1.2) using original Famicom cartridges it works fine: no graphical glitches at all. But using Everdrive N8 it persistently shows the vertical dot-bars. Apart from the graphical glitch with the Everdrive N8, games seem to work fine.

For me, it looks like a firmware issue. But I would like also to get your feedback.

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2021, 10:55 PM by jsianes »

Offline jsianes

• View Profile
Re: EverDrive N8 and Nt Mini Noir (Firmware 1.2) issue
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2021, 11:21 PM »
Looking on previous threads, it seems that I'm not the only one suffering this issue: http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=10847.0

This enforces what I think: this looks like a firmware issue.

Support case created on Analogue. Waiting for an update from their side.

This is the second time I need to reach Analogue regarding issues with this console, and probably not the last one as I'm starting experiencing issue with Famicom cartridge port which is not able to load most of my original games at first try. I need to move them a bit after inserted and reset the console a couple of times until finally be able to play the game. It seems that this issue was also present in the original Nt Mini. For a premium console like this having so many issues is  pretty disappointed.

Looking forward for Analogue support updates.

Offline Uliner

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2021, 11:36 PM »
I'll add my own data to this thread once I've gotten a chance to test.  I have an N8-Pro and Nt Mini Noir myself so hopefully I can help.

I don't actually have any Famicom cartridges to test with, and only have NES cartridges.  I'm not sure if this will help, but does using the NES slot yield the same/different effects?

Offline stevo9389

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2021, 05:12 AM »
I have the same issue with the same model EverDrive and firmware on an NT Mini Noir with firmware 1.2 only after the update from 1.0. Some have suggested that the 3.6v cart option (for repros?) needs to be enabled for the N8 unless it is the PRO but does not make any difference.

Does yours also have an issue when using the reset keys on the controller? Mine (on firmware 1.1 and 1.2) has to be power cycled if the in-game reset or RUN CART is used to go back to the EverDrive menu. Sometimes you'll get lucky with performing multiple resets but more often than not all you get is a black screen. The issue didn't seem to be present on the 1.0 firmware.

Offline Uliner

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2021, 06:47 PM »
It's a known issue NT Mini Noir's firmware 1.2.  Analogue seems to be well aware of the issue with the EverDrive, so hopefully they have a fix in the works soon.  I also have a pending ticket with them.

Offline jsianes

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2021, 01:23 PM »
I also have a pending ticket in Analogue Support team (managed by "Jonie"). Last update was on March 15th saying:

"Hello Javier,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.  I have passed a message detailing this issue to our development team. Be sure to follow our firmware updates for a resolution to the problem. Please let me know if you have any additional information or questions concerning the issue."

In the interim, I'm using previous firmware (1.1) and at least for me, it's working fine. No issues running games, saving/restoring save-states or changing games. I'll stick to this version until the issue is (hopefully) resolved.

After more than a month without any update, I'll ping Jonie today to check if there is any progress. I guess no, but if something new shows up, I'll update this thread.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 01:30 PM by jsianes »

Offline onegoodsoul

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2021, 03:45 PM »
Same issues. Glad to hear others are experiencing the same issue. Was worried that I had a bad NES pin connector.

Offline jsianes

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2021, 07:58 PM »
Analogue support replied: " Kindly note that this is a known issue and will be addressed in future updates. "

Oct. 11th today and still no new firmware version to fix the problem. Not sure if I'll buy any new Analogue product as my experience as consumer is you are at your own if you have any issue.

Another update from Analogue support yesterday (Oct. 12th 2021):

"We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused. At this time, we do not have a specific date or timeframe for when the new firmware will be released. Rest assured however that our Development team is aware of the issues and working to have the issues fixed in the next firmware update."

So, let's keep waiting  >:(
« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 03:47 PM by jsianes »

Offline AMike

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2021, 01:12 PM »
Do these problems also occur with the Pro version of the Everdrive N38, or does the Pro version work with the NT Noir? Thanks