Author Topic: Which ROM Types Supported (X5)?  (Read 649 times)

Offline Greenhawk84

• View Profile
Which ROM Types Supported (X5)?
« on: July 06, 2021, 04:29 PM »
Hello,

Recently I pulled out my X5 from 2016 which was working great, apparently with ROMs mostly named .md at the time.  I noticed that the program was updated over the years so I placed those files in the MEGA folder.  I have a Retropie with way more ROMs on it so I moved them to the SD card for my X5, and none of them are working.  A lot of them are named .gen and work fine on the Retropie using the GenesisGX emulator.  Even some that are named .md are not working.  When testing, I am seeing that those old ROMs that I had there in the first place are working, but even Xmen.md and Xmen2.md are not.  Does anyone know what happened?

Offline nuu

• View Profile
Re: Which ROM Types Supported (X5)?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2021, 05:19 PM »
The ROMs you moved might be bad dumps? Emulators are more forgiving with bad dumps than a real Mega Drive is. No-intro ROMs are usually recommended for most systems.

Offline Greenhawk84

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2021, 05:47 PM »
No-intro ROMs are usually recommended for most systems.

Thank you for the reply.  I am not sure what No-intro ROMs are?  What is the best way to confirm "good dump" roms?

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2021, 11:07 AM »
No-intro is a dumping group that aims to make perfect dumps of ROMs. Search the internet for a No-intro Mega Drive ROM set.
Older ROMs floating the internet are usually managed and named by the goodtools. Those ROM sets (often called goodsets) contains all types of ROMs, good, bad hacks, pirates etc, and although the [!] symbol is supposed to mark a good dump by goodtools, this is not always correct. So avoid goodsets and look for No-intro sets. You can use their DAT-o-matic to check if a particular ROM you have is verified good or not.
https://datomatic.no-intro.org/index.php?page=search&op=datset&s=32&sel_s=32&text=&where=1&button=Search
If it has the same hash (you may need a special program to check that, google it) it should be the exact same file.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2021, 11:09 AM by nuu »

Offline Greenhawk84

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2021, 04:59 PM »
Much appreciated information, I actually found a no-intro set that looks like it matches the Dat-o-matic list.  Some of these ROMs are still loading a black screen for me.  Some of them work, and some of them don't.

Update: I think they are indeed the ROM dumps causing the issue.  I found another source that appears to have some other working ROMs.  I also changed the SD card and had the same results, both with older MEGA files and now with the new 3.14 version.  I guess the Everdrives truly are picky about the dumps.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2021, 04:25 AM by Greenhawk84 »

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2021, 10:40 AM »
Sounds like you found a bad source of ROMs if some of them were bad.

It has nothing to do with the Everdrive. Bad ROMs wouldn't work on any console, it's simply not possible for it to support something that doesn't follow the hardware specs. You need 1:1 dumps of ROMs. Emulators that don't enforce the specs may be able to load broken ROMs, but more accurate emulators will not load them either. Unfortunately Mega Drive emulators are currently still behind those of Nintendo's 8-bit and 16-bit consoles.