Author Topic: Brand new N8 Pro Famicom issue  (Read 333 times)

Offline itman312

• View Profile
Brand new N8 Pro Famicom issue
« on: September 26, 2021, 06:18 PM »
I have an AV Famicom that has the NESRGB mod. Regular Famicom cartridges work fine. The regular N8 Everdrive also works fine. The N8 Pro cartridge, however, does NOT work at all on my modded system. It works great on my other unmodded Famicom systems though.

I read that there were issues with earlier revisions, particularly those from Stone Age Gamer, which is where mine was from. It was long past whatever warranty period there is, so I dropped almost $200 for a new N8 Pro from Amazon, which arrived today. This doesn't work either.

Given how popular the NESRGB mod is, this cartridge should be compatible, especially if the regular N8 Everdrive is compatible. How can this problem be solved?

Offline zaphro72

• View Profile
Re: Brand new N8 Pro Famicom issue
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2021, 06:39 PM »
I have an AV Famicom that has the NESRGB mod. Regular Famicom cartridges work fine. The regular N8 Everdrive also works fine. The N8 Pro cartridge, however, does NOT work at all on my modded system. It works great on my other unmodded Famicom systems though.

I read that there were issues with earlier revisions, particularly those from Stone Age Gamer, which is where mine was from. It was long past whatever warranty period there is, so I dropped almost $200 for a new N8 Pro from Amazon, which arrived today. This doesn't work either.

Given how popular the NESRGB mod is, this cartridge should be compatible, especially if the regular N8 Everdrive is compatible. How can this problem be solved?

I seem to remember something about a firmware update for one of the RGB mods and that fixed the issue, but since I don't have one myself I can't remember the details.

Offline Nemok

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2021, 01:16 AM »
More likely hardware related. On that matter, Voultar has said that the problem is likely the IC used for voltage translation. Krikzz recommended to check the jumper on bottom right corner of cart pcb. On early version it populated at 5v position and it isn't working well with modded systems. If jumper populated at 3v position then it should work fine with modded systems.

Offline itman312

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2021, 09:51 AM »
I checked that. It is already on 3v.

Offline Nemok

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2021, 01:35 PM »
Is IGR installed?

Offline itman312

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2021, 08:16 PM »
No, I chose not to install it specifically to avoid this exact issue.

Offline Nemok

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2021, 11:39 PM »
Then there is no workaround for the end user to my knowledge.

And even if there was one at some point, I would still get a refund from Amazon, since I already owned a non fully-working N8 Pro!