Author Topic: Everdrive N8 (original model) random freezing issue on firmware v1.23  (Read 8737 times)

Offline v4d3z

• View Profile
Shatterhand has MMC3, no? I have crashes with that title. Changes were made to MMC3 at v 1.20, perhaps start there?

Offline madhighgamer

• View Profile
i updated my fw while installing toe expansion mod and after i def noticed a bunch of lockups that wasnt happening before. specifically of a translated sweet home rom. i played for hours with no freezes then i couldnt play longer than about 30 mins. forced me to save every  ten minutes. thank god i fopund this thread. changed back to the 1.16fw and just played  that game for a few hours w no issues. thanks for this thread!!!

Offline grimacefry

• View Profile
Same issue - doesn't look like any solution has been found, sharing my setup

PAL NES (NESE-001 AUS)
CIC pin cut
ETIM NESRGB mod
Blinking Light Win kit

v1.16 works, v1.20+ causes freezing and glitches. 2.x beta will not boot at all throwing random errors or graphical glitches.

Offline ecmyers

• View Profile
Re: Everdrive N8 (original model) random freezing issue on firmware v1.23
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2020, 04:18 PM »
Any updates on this situation? I have been noticing similar behavior on my EverDrive N8, a couple of weeks ago with Double Dragon and just last night with Contra. In the first case, the game was paused at the beginning os stage 4, and in Contra, the game was just running in attract mode on the title screen, so I wonder if leaving it running without any inputs is related to the issue; I also had been switching in and out of games, and had been playing for about half an hour before the game glitched and froze

As for my setup, I noticed the issues when I was playing on my RetroUSB AVS. I am running the latest EverDrive firmware, 1.23. I can check the model and year info, but I bought mine in August 2017 from Stone Age Gamer.

Offline TorqueEmPup

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2020, 11:19 AM »
I have a Famicom N8 and use a Honeybee adapter on a NTSC frontloader NES with the lockout chip disabled.

Also experiencing frequent random game freezes for certain games using v1.23.
I haven't tried 1.24 yet, but like krikkz said in an earlier post, it's nothing but MMC5 and FDS fixes.

Game I was experiencing this with is with is with a verified dump of Super Mario Bros 2 (USA) (REV A) that I personally dumped from my own original copy. Original cart plays fine, random freezes on 1.23.

Possibly motherboard revision related? My NES has the last revision, the NES-CPU-11 motherboard.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 11:25 AM by TorqueEmPup »

Offline MOfoSlayer

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2020, 03:09 AM »
Just giving a dump of my experience with this issue. I originally typed this up roughly 6 months ago when I was going to send in my Everdrive N8 but I never went through with sending it.

"I'm having freezing issues with my Stone Age Gamer Everdrive N8 (1.4N Board) on OS 1.23. The issue is the same or similar to what is described in these forum posts:

http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=9046.0

https://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=9775.15

https://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=8090.0

After a random amount of time (usually 20 - 30 minutes) the game will freeze, the graphics will shift or get garbled some of time, and the audio will freeze on the last sound/note or go silent. This has happened while playing games (I've mostly been playing Super Mario Bros, Mike Tyson's Punch-Out, Lagrange Point (Translated) and Castlevania III (Translated)) and at the title screen of Super Mario Bros., but I'm assuming it's an issue with all games (I think it's happened in Darkwing Duck and Super Mario Bros.3 as well).

I've been able to make the game freeze consistently in the terminal room/save room in Lagrange Point when sitting idle at the "Your battle rewards are x korons." screen after 20 - 40 minutes. The image doesn't shift, just freezes and the audio goes out. Sitting idle at the Super Mario Bros. title screen usually also cause a freeze but the time range varies greatly.

My NES is a NTSC Front Loader (CPU-07) with a NESRGB, Borti I/O Board, and a Blinking Light Win. It is also expansion audio modded. I have an ENIO v1.2 modded to work with the Cassette Adapter (disconnecting ENIO doesn't help). I am using ROMs from the EverDrive N8 & PowePak v6.2 ROM pack. My SD card is a 16GB Sandisk Class 10 MicroSD in a SD adapter

I have tried cleaning the Blinking Light Win, Everdrive, and the cartridge connector on the motherboard multiple times as well as done my best to make sure there are no grounding issues. I have also done a full reformat of my SD card (32kb cluster size) which hasn't helped.

Most importantly, I recently tried OS v1.16 as I had been using v1.23 and Lagrange Point doesn't seem to freeze.

Is the CIC chip on the Blinking Light Win an issue on original Everdrive N8's on OS's past v1.16 or does my Everdrive N8 just need to be replaced due to some issue with v1.23? I've seen various responses."

Offline Dailyskeptic

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2021, 07:49 AM »
I just received an original N8 from  Stone Age Gamer earlier today. My NES froze with multiple ROMs, across multiple cards, on 1.25. I downloaded 1.16, and haven't yet had an issue.

I have an NES frontloader with a Blinking Light Win pin adapter. CIC pin is cut. Both the pin adapter and cartridge pins are clean.  I used an original Nintendo power supply, as well as, a DC power supply.

Is there anything else I could do? Is my cart defective?
« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 07:53 AM by Dailyskeptic »

Offline soulspawn

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2021, 02:54 PM »
I have been using my old N8 recently too, and trying different OS and SD Cards I noticed the following on my NES PAL with CIC chip cut:

- On v14 and v15 mostly everything runs perfect (but Contra freezed after a playing time - 30mins more or less)
- On v16 after playing a few mins Mega Man 2 resets. Castlevania III freezes when pausing for a long time.
- Versions after v20 have the same issues than v16, freezes more often and I can't reset the console to menu.

I like the fix for castlevania III sunken city stage water from OS v21 an on but it works better for me staying in v14.
I'd love this issues being fixed at some point, but... Let's see if Krikzz is able to to it.

Offline Dailyskeptic

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2021, 05:30 PM »
1.16 is not working for me. It sometimes lasts a little longer, but will freeze after about 5 minutes. I'll try 1.14.

Edit:
I have been using my top loader without an issue. So it seems like it must be the blinking light win - or perhaps my front loader.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 09:50 PM by Dailyskeptic »

Offline MOfoSlayer

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2021, 09:26 AM »
I haven't had problems with 1.16 but I haven't done much testing with it either.

I'm leaning towards the BLW being the problem, but I don't have any other ideas other than something being wrong with the Everdrive.

I did find an article from 2015 mentioning the BLW possibly causing instability with the Everdrive due to thin power line traces.

https://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/2015/07/blinking-light-win-quality-solution-to.html

"Not all may be perfect, however.  krikzz, creator of the EverDrive N8, has criticized the "ridiculously thin wires at power supply lines" of the BLW.  While the traces are slightly thicker than the regular signal lines, he has raised concerns that the thinness of the traces may lead to instability when using an EverDrive because it is a much more complex device than a regular cartridge.  He suggests soldering thick wires to pins 1, 36 and 72 to solve any instability issues."

Offline nra0707

• View Profile
Same issues here. NES Toploader with Hi-Def NES installed. Original N8 (ADate: 13.06.16). Firmware 1.25 causes graphical glitches (almost like horizontal line or screen ripple) and freezing. Tried Super Mario Bros. (World) rom and it freezes on 1-2 every time. Other roms just give black screen after loading. I reverted back to 1.16 and was able to do a quick run through to the end skipping worlds. I've tried the same roms again that gave me black screen and those work too. Something in the 1.2* updates is buggering up (what sounds like) older N8s.

Offline MOfoSlayer

• View Profile
Now this is very preliminary but I recently got a Everdrive N8 Pro and it may be stable. 🙃

I left Super Mario Bros. on the start screen for 2 hours last night and Lagrange Point in a Save Room for an hour and didn't have any freezes. I have tens of hours testing on the original N8 so like I said preliminary. If anyone else tries a N8 Pro I'd be very interested in the results, particularly MHzBurglar.

Offline ELahrairah

• View Profile
I have the same issue. Horizontal lines in SMB and after gameplay time that may vary It freezes or the video becomes garbled. Tried a real SMB cart, no issues whatsoever.  Using FW 1.26