Author Topic: Sd2SNES and online multiplayer? Ethernet port? Xband?  (Read 7949 times)

Offline mrGREEK360

• View Profile
    • mrGREEK360's Tech & Gaming YouTube Channel
Sd2SNES has a USB port like the mega everdrive, is it possible we can start seeing online multiplayer like the xband from back in the day for today with the SD2SNES.  Is it possible to put a usb to Ethernet adapter and program that emulates what xband did?

What about in the next revisions they add a Ethernet port directly onto the cart, I really hope there are people out there trying to figure out how to do this, as it was possible with the mega everdrive with a pong test game......

I hope Ikari or Krikzz could figure this out, it has a potential to build a retro online game network, and that would be amazing.

If the SD2SNES can't do this, is there a possibility that Krikzz or Ikari make a product that essentially is a new age XBAND.
Stone Age Gamer Deluxe Flash Carts I Own - Everdrive N8 (Dark Classic) - SD2SNES (Ultra Purple) - Mega Everdrive (Fire Red) - Everdrive 64 (Cobalt Blue) - Everdrive GB (Charcoal Gray)

Other Flash Carts - EZ Flash IV (GBA), Passcard 3 (DS), Gateway (3DS), R4i (DS)

http://www.youtube.com/liquidg

Offline Wildstar

• View Profile
Re: Sd2SNES and online multiplayer? Ethernet port? Xband?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2014, 06:17 AM »
Actually, I may consider some kind of module that plugs into the SNES expansion port. One option I am considering is using a GreenArray GA144 Evaluation board. The EVB-001 evaluation board with two GA144A12 chips.

http://www.greenarraychips.com/home/products/index.html

Specifically:
http://www.greenarraychips.com/home/documents/greg/DB003-110926-EVB001.pdf

If I can bridge the communication between SNES and this board. Imagine a high performance FORTH-based cpu that functions as a high-performance computation number cruncher. Of course, that is an expensive board for just ethernet but if you want to use it for more than ethernet.

I also consider the cartridge slot but how to implement it with a pass-thru port for cartridges such as the SD2SNES with its chip emulation and be able to support it. Although the SNES expansion port would keep this GreenArrays EVB001 from being mapped into the SNES support chips space... I am entirely uncertain of the port's bandwidth other than it is 5 bits wide and only a handful of address registers.

Offline Wildstar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2014, 07:12 AM »
Qwertymodo et al,

I would be interested in your adapter module because I can make appropriate connection and other stuff such as project box and what not to put the board inside or whatever so that the SNES can sit on top but not on to the EVB-001 board itself as it is smaller than the footprint of the SNES case.

I'm talking about this:

http://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=9386&start=90
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 07:22 AM by Wildstar »

Offline Fmamarksman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2014, 07:16 PM »
I don't see why you couldn't just use a wi-fi SD card. I mean, this would make it possible without having to revise the SD2SNES board and no other accessories are required.
"Father of the four winds fill my sails, cross the sea of years. With no provision, but an open face along the straits of fear."

Offline Mattroid

• Deluxe Edition
  • So many games, too little time
    • View Profile
    • Arcade Crusade
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2014, 07:29 PM »
I don't see why you couldn't just use a wi-fi SD card. I mean, this would make it possible without having to revise the SD2SNES board and no other accessories are required.
There still has to be something that interfaces with that connection on the card and knows what to do with it. I'm not sure if that's something that the SD2SNES can do, but it'd be pretty great if it could.

Rumor has it there may be some sort of networking device for SNES upcoming, but I've no idea what the goal of it may be as nothing has been announced yet.
2600-Harmony Encore; NES-PowerPak, EverDrive N8; GB-EverDrive GB v1; SNES-Super ED v1, SD2SNES; GEN-Mega ED v1; N64-ED64 v2; NGPC-Bung 32Mb, NeoFlashMasta, NeoFlashMasta USB, NGP SD; GBA-EZ-Flash II 256Mb, EZ-Flash IV Redux, ED GBA X5; NDS-R4

Offline Wildstar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2014, 10:55 AM »
Mattroid,

Good points there.

Fmamarksman,  if I use a WiFi SD card, I wouldn't be able to have an SD card module containing the programs such as a game or application that would be using the WiFi for example.

I could a Wifi module on the GreenArray EVB-001, no problem. Easy enough to do. Just write a Forth program and so forth. As for using WiFi via USB on te SD2SNES would be possibly ideal. Leaving the EVB-001 for other stuff instead of routing Wifi data but it could be routed, though with a Forth program to move the data through the array of Forth CPUs.

I am not sure if the SD2SNES can use USB as a communication class device. If it can, okay. What can we do with the USB. Is it  just a USB "JTAG" and therefore invisible from the SNES perspective or is it visible to the SNES and the option to connect to a Wiznet Wifi module such as one of those WiFi to RS232 bridge and than via some kind of USB to RS232 cable.... talk to the Wiznet WiFi module.

However, one can perhaps make a Wifi module that plugs into the expansion port. Very easily to drive that bus as a sort of UART. This port is almost identical to an AMIGA clock port on paper (pinouts diagram). There is already an Ethernet module for C64 called RR-NET that connects via a clock port interface via a cartridge on the C64 but could connect to an Amiga directly to a clock port. The only thing is the RR-NET module doesn't have TCP stack. But that's no problem. Another module - a SilverSurfer RS232 connects to the Amiga clock port and provides RS-232 and then one can use an RS232 /Ethernet (or Wifi bridge) and connect.

Using the GreenArrays EVB-001 board as an accessory , although pricy however could provide more than just ethernet or even Wifi to the SNES as I could easily use any of those with built in TCP stack support but having 288 "18-bit forth computers" nodes on TWO GA144A12 chips... each at ~666.67 MHz. Both GA144A12 combined is capable of providing upt to 192 BILLION 18-bit Forth instructions per second. Basically 192 Billion Instructions per second. Just a single ONE of these 18-bit Forth "computer" nodes are up to 500 TIMES faster than the 65c816 bit into the SNES. One node providing 666.67 MIPS of processing power.

Although, it doesn't increase colors or resolutions of the PPU or necessarily increase its performance in that respect, it can be used to process heavy duty mathematics that the SA-1 or any other enhancement chip on any cart couldn't even dream of being able to do. Imagine what using only 8 or 18 nodes can do. 

Of course, I would support any easily adaptable WiFi support with and without needing to use EVB001.

Just for a personal project, I would use the EVB001 from GreenArrays. It is probably not so much for ethernet/Wifi connection as much as providing additional processing power beyond anything ever for SNES.