Author Topic: MSU-1 hacks...  (Read 205014 times)

Offline mrpopsicleman

• View Profile
Re: MSU-1 hacks...
« Reply #60 on: August 24, 2015, 10:23 AM »
Actually, we're in the final stages of BSZ and AST right now over at the BS Zelda forums - we got a bunch of voice actors together and hunted down the original broadcast music for them all, and all we're waiting on now is the audio guys to put all the voice files and backing tracks together for release.  Current word is that BSZ will be out in a week or two, with AST following after.

That's fantastic! I look forward to seeing your work.

Offline RetroDanâ„¢

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 31, 2015, 10:05 AM »
http://z9.invisionfree.com/bszelda/index.php?showtopic=1549

Talk of the devil...week 1's tentative final is available.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 06:53 AM by RetroDanâ„¢ »

Offline Captain N

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 12, 2015, 04:19 AM »
I'm probably just an idiot, but I can't get most of the MSU hacks to work even though I feel that I've followed the instructions very close.

The Super Metroid on seems to work. And so does the Rock'n Roll Racer.

But I've tried so many times with the Zelda MSU on to no avail. It plays the opening title screen, but when I press start, the screen goes black and nothing happens.
The Mega Man X and Donkey Kong Country 2 ones don't even boot up at all.
I really don't know what I'm doing wrong here. Kinda wish there were just a finished zip that is ready to unpack and just works.
There were also one with Bad Apple, but that looks like something you have to compile yourself, which I don't know the first thing about doing. :/

Offline RetroDanâ„¢

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 13, 2015, 03:27 AM »
I'm probably just an idiot, but I can't get most of the MSU hacks to work even though I feel that I've followed the instructions very close.

The Super Metroid on seems to work. And so does the Rock'n Roll Racer.

But I've tried so many times with the Zelda MSU on to no avail. It plays the opening title screen, but when I press start, the screen goes black and nothing happens.
The Mega Man X and Donkey Kong Country 2 ones don't even boot up at all.
I really don't know what I'm doing wrong here. Kinda wish there were just a finished zip that is ready to unpack and just works.
There were also one with Bad Apple, but that looks like something you have to compile yourself, which I don't know the first thing about doing. :/

Give us some hardware details.  Are you trying this on Higan/BSNES or the SD2SNES flash cart?  Are you applying the patch to a headered or unheadered ROM?  Where do you have the music files unzipped to?

Offline Captain N

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 13, 2015, 04:19 AM »
I don't have a clue about the header stuff. I just took what seemed as the most plain version of the rom and applied the patch with Lunar IPS and put it into the same folder as the SNES music files along with a blank file called [romname].msu

I'm trying to get it to work on the SD2SNES.
The newest firmware didn't work well for me, so I believe I'm running the v0.6.

Offline RetroDanâ„¢

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 13, 2015, 05:24 AM »
As far as the Zelda Rom is concerned, you need to expand the ROM to 1.5Mb (12 Mbit) before applying the patch - user LunarExpand, easily found on romhacking.net.

http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/27/

The newest firmware for SD2SNES is brilliant, so my first thought is "is your SD2SNES legit?"

Offline Captain N

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 13, 2015, 12:53 PM »
Okay, so I've expanded a new alttp rom to 1.5mb and then patched it, but the problem is the same. After I press start on the title screen, it just goes black.

I bought my SD2SNES from StoneAgeGamer, and haven't had any trouble with it so far. But these MSU hacks is giving me a lot of problems for some reason.
I've gotten some of them to work, but Zelda, Mega Man, DKC2 and Bad Apple just wont.

Offline RetroDanâ„¢

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 13, 2015, 11:42 PM »
If I might make a suggestion, get your ROM from emuparadise - you might be applying the patch to a headered ROM, and if I recall correctly, the patch needs to go on an UNheadered ROM.  Some tools, like SNESROMUTIL, can strip that header away.

Offline mrpopsicleman

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 21, 2015, 01:33 PM »
Chrono Trigger MSU-1 v1.0 by DarkShock
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O91Okxv6PVs

Offline XC-3730C

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 27, 2015, 01:47 AM »
I would love to see a Secret of Evermore MSU-1 hack...

Offline RetroDanâ„¢

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 27, 2015, 03:39 AM »

You and me both, buddy.

I'd like to see Secret of Evermore, Final Fantasy IV, V, and VI, Terranigma, MegaMan VII, and MegaMan X2 done.

Offline XC-3730C

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 27, 2015, 06:00 AM »

You and me both, buddy.

I'd like to see Secret of Evermore, Final Fantasy IV, V, and VI, Terranigma, MegaMan VII, and MegaMan X2 done.
I am surprised nobody has suggested Super Castlevania IV as a possible MSU-1 hack...

Also, are cutscenes in existing games now possible?

Offline RetroDanâ„¢

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 27, 2015, 06:28 AM »
I am surprised nobody has suggested Super Castlevania IV as a possible MSU-1 hack...

As to Super Castlevania IV...well, I hate that game more than almost any other game.  I can't exactly say I'm holding my breath for an MSU-1 patch for it.

As far as I know, yes, cutscenes are possible.  It would involve hijacking code during an in-game event to call up a video and run the audio with it, and then resuming the normal in-game operations where it had been hijacked.

Offline Gumball

• Gumball Bunny
  • Heavy Metal Rabbit
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 27, 2015, 04:51 PM »

As to Super Castlevania IV...well, I hate that game more than almost any other game.  I can't exactly say I'm holding my breath for an MSU-1 patch for it.

As far as I know, yes, cutscenes are possible.  It would involve hijacking code during an in-game event to call up a video and run the audio with it, and then resuming the normal in-game operations where it had been hijacked.
Ok...why do you hate Super Castlevania IV? That game is fantastic and considered one of the best Castlevania's in the series. I've never heard anyone say they hated it.
All I wanna do is shred.

Offline saturnu

• ヽ(^o^)丿
    • View Profile
    • :D
« Reply #74 on: September 27, 2015, 05:53 PM »
Super Castlevania IV has one of the best SNES soundstracks, it's the last game that "needs" a msu1 patch. ^^

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sX3fjpkFwk