Author Topic: Region patch broken in Metroid after 1.0.8 and screen bobbing/jumping issue  (Read 1970 times)

Offline Svartluder

• View Profile
Hello! I have noticed that the region patch no longer works for Super Metroid after firmware version 1.0.8. I have tested both Firmware 1.0.9 and 1.10.3 which both fail to load the game, rolling back to 1.0.8 fixes the issue. Super Metroid is the only game I have found so far that does not load correctly.

I also have another issue in certain games, the screen bobs or jumps up and down during certain sections or when certain things happen. Sometimes in combination with my Framemeister loosing the video signal. I am currently looking into if this is caused by some sync, cable or issue with my chain but it seams odd to me that would only affect me SNES and none of my other systems. Sadly I do not own the affected games to try the real cartridges to compare. The issue is present using both PAL and NTSC ROMS in all affected games. I have had this issue since I purchased the device back in december of 2017 across all firmware versions but I discredited it as some software bug that would eventually be patched out.

Games tested with the issue:

Chrono Trigger - Screen jumps when text appears on screen.
Cybernator - Screen jumps constantly.
Demon's Crest - Screen jumps during the opening cinematic with the fire, but not in the intro that follows if left idle. It then starts jumping again in game. THe top en bottom rows of the image are distorted.

I will attach a video showcasing the problem once back home.

I am using a PAL 1-CHIP 02 SNES.
The SNES is routed through a GSCART Lite (outputing via the appropriate cable from RetroGamingCables).
The GSCART Lite is connected to a Framemeister (unknown older firmware and 2.0.4 tested) (outputing via an old but very high quality SCART cable).
The Framemeister is hooked up to an automated HDMI-switcher (ATEN VS0801HB)
The HDMI-switcher is connected to my TV.

Any insight or help would be appreciated, thanks!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2019, 12:53 PM by Svartluder »

Offline Link83

• View Profile
Does your SNES have a SuperCIC installed? If so is the SuperCIC detected correctly in the settings for pair mode?

Offline Richardragon87

• SNESAdvance Revival Coder
    • View Profile
Same thing happened to me, sadly there is now no way to fix it unless you have another SD2SNES and exclude the update that did it.

Summery - http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=8988.0
« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 02:41 AM by Richardragon87 »
[quote Random dating spambotJ

Post changed:

Great, the photo didn't load! Does anyone know how to fix this?
In any case, my other photos can be viewed here, I will be glad to meet you, I love flirt))

P.S Richardragon87! Don't write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!

Offline Svartluder

• View Profile
Link83: I do not have a superCIC installed. My console is unmodified.

Richardragon87: Actually you can just delete the files in the SD2SNES folder (excluding the save data one) and replace the firmware with 1.0.8 and it works just fine again. You know, besides loosing all the new fancy updates.

I have managed to resolve the jumpy image issue. This was just a some technical ignorance on my part, it seams the Framemeister does not like Sync on Luma and it only affects certain games in certain specific spot. I realized my GSCARTSW has a built in sync stripper, after I turned that on all is good, no issues what so ever in the affected games. Sync on Luma was the cable recommended by Retro Gaming Cables for the unit, I tested my Gamecube CSYNC cable just to test and it clearly sent an image that was way too dark and flat.

Offline Svartluder

• View Profile
Interesting development. I have noticed that if I start another NTSC game that is able to load successfully before Metroid, reset out back to the SD2SNES menu using the button command and then start Metroid it works just fine. If I turn the console off and on again it returns to not working.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 05:22 PM by Svartluder »