Author Topic: Use SMS controller to navigate menu in Mega ED  (Read 1121 times)

Offline bola

• View Profile
Use SMS controller to navigate menu in Mega ED
« on: July 17, 2020, 05:09 PM »
When I want to play certain SMS games that insist on a SMS controller (wonderboy, road rash, etc) I find myself having to do the following:

• plug ordinary controller in
  • navigate to game & start it
  • hot unplug controller and insert SMS controller
  • play game

I don't like hotswapping things - so I'd rather not have to do this. Could it be fixed so I can navigate the Mega ED menu using the SMS controller?

Offline Assman

• View Profile
Re: Use SMS controller to navigate menu in Mega ED
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2020, 07:11 PM »
Huygens created patches for these games so that you can play them with a Genesis controller:

http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=1203.0

Offline bola

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2020, 07:22 PM »
I know this.

But:

1) I want to use the original controller
2) I want to use the PAL versions - can't remember but don't think the patches work with these
3) I shouldn't have do this - I consider it a bug that I can't use a SMS controller to navigate the Mega ED menu when it supports SMS games

Offline Assman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2020, 04:21 PM »
Will it let you navigate the menu with the second controller port? Krikzz was toying with the idea of adding that ability at some point but I don't know if it ever happened. If you don't have the newest OS version I'd probably check it out just to be sure.

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2020, 05:25 PM »
I agree with bola, the Everdrive should be able to use SMS controllers for its menus. There are many reasons why you would like to use them, and hotswapping should be avoided if possible on systems that aren't designed for it.

Other Everdrives and the SD2SNES has the same problem with some games that expects certain accessories like a mouse to be the only controller plugged in when booting. But that's more complicated to solve than the SMS controller problem is.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 11:54 PM by nuu »

Offline JP32

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2020, 08:19 PM »
Yeah I find this problem with other consoles too, especially when I want to play game that doesn't use standard controller, like light gun for example and the game want to use the non-standard controller in the first slot.