Author Topic: Mega ED Pro  (Read 31342 times)

Offline Relikk

• View Profile
Re: Mega ED Pro
« Reply #90 on: July 03, 2020, 03:12 PM »
That's great!

What about using IMG burn just to cue the ISO and mp3 tracks into a single cue?
The damage is already done on MP3 files from the start. Converting them to anything else doesn't bring back the data loss, therefore downloading them is a waste of time.

How are mp3 files damaged? That's the standard red book audio format, mp3. It's usually

Certainly not. Standard redbook audio when converted to a file is a 44.1kHz, 16-bit WAV file @ 1411kbps. MP3 is all those except it's encoded at a maximum of 320kbps. Compare 1411kbps with 320kbps. It's compressed by more than three quarters of it's original quality. Granted, the safety overhead in 1411kbps is quite large, and MP3 filters out frequencies that are unneeded and that are mostly inaudible to human ears, but it still filters frequencies and is what is called a "lossy" format.

Offline Sarge

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 04, 2020, 12:20 AM »
The real problem is repeated degradation - someone takes an MP3 version, puts it to CD, then re-rips to MP3 again. Yes, in most cases, the differences in MP3 if encoded at the highest rate are barely noticeable, but they are there.
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Discuss games ten years old or older! Now with a modern gaming section!

http://hardcoreretrogaming.boards.net/

Offline Jefferson Soares

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 04, 2020, 12:25 AM »
Hello Krikzz, congratulations on Everdrive PRO, you are awesome!

What is the capacity supported on Mega EverDrive PRO for Micro SD cards?

Regards from Brazil!

Offline zaphro72

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 04, 2020, 03:02 AM »
Hello Krikzz, congratulations on Everdrive PRO, you are awesome!

What is the capacity supported on Mega EverDrive PRO for Micro SD cards?

Regards from Brazil!

He said biggest he tried was 128GB but in theory there shouldn't be a limit

Offline Adrian Gauna

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 04, 2020, 01:36 PM »

The damage is already done on MP3 files from the start. Converting them to anything else doesn't bring back the data loss, therefore downloading them is a waste of time.

Certainly not. Standard redbook audio when converted to a file is a 44.1kHz, 16-bit WAV file @ 1411kbps. MP3 is all those except it's encoded at a maximum of 320kbps. Compare 1411kbps with 320kbps. It's compressed by more than three quarters of it's original quality. Granted, the safety overhead in 1411kbps is quite large, and MP3 filters out frequencies that are unneeded and that are mostly inaudible to human ears, but it still filters frequencies and is what is called a "lossy" format.
[/quote]

Okay i'm not arguing with you or any of you, you guys know more than me on this matter and I apologise for sounding dumb, i'm listening to you and I understand but I personally cannot get WAV files to play on an emulator, example is Kega Fushion (it's the only emulator that attempts to play Mega-CD games, Gens + won't even load) and the damn thing only accepts ISO and MP3 cued into a single file, if they're seperated the game usually has no music. I get an error message if it's a WAV file and some games come in IMG files that can't be extracted as someone else pointed out on this thread and they don't play on emulators.

I'll break it down in points:

To my knowledge and experience

Emulator - accepts only ISO and MP3 or ISO/MP3 cued.

Real Mega-CD/SEGA-CD attachment with files burned to CD-R accepts ISO, MP3 ISO/MP3 cued and IMG files that extract once written onto disc.

If and when I ever get a Mega EverDrive Pro i'll certainly try changing them to bin in a cued file. Makes sense actually seeing as cartridges take bin files with the Mega-CD core implemented.

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 04, 2020, 05:32 PM »
You are not dumb, I think most people aren't aware that MP3 is a format that has data removed, and that it's a bad format for CD rips such as used for game preservation. That's why I bought this up when someone mentioned MP3.

Kega Fusion and Gens are old emulators not updated in a long time and are probably the only ones that supports MP3. It's unfortunate that Sega systems doesn't have as many good modern emulators as NES and SNES has.
If the emulator you use requires MP3 and you only have 1:1 CD rips, you can just convert the WAV, FLAC, IMG, ISO or whatever you have to MP3, but keep a copy of the original 1:1 rip somewhere safe and don't touch it.

The Mega CD disc doesn't have a file system (burning a data CD with BIN, ISO, WAV or whatever will not work), it uses CD tracks just like PC Engine's CD system. The first track is a data track with the game program on (this is the BIN file in a BIN+WAV rip) and the rest are red book audio tracks (the WAV, FLAC or MP3 files). BIN, ISO or IMG doesn't matter, as long as it's a 1:1 rip of the CD you can always burn it on a CD-R and it should work on a real Mega CD. You may just need the right tools to do it.

When burning a CD-R you can technically use MP3 for the audio tracks and the game might even work at first, but the problem is that they are not exactly the same as the original digital data on the original CD, and that is a recipe for trouble that we just don't need. Ripping CDs and converting them to MP3 is a careless way to rip game CDs on, and not suitable at all for preservation. It was popular long ago when internet was slower and HDD space was more expensive, but it's something we tries to leave behind us.

MP3 is fine for music files that you just listen to in Winamp or an MP3 player, as long as your ears accepts the quality loss and you don't care that they are 1:1 with the tracks from the CD. But even here there is a problem, like Sarge said, repeatedly converting to or from lossy formats degrades the sound and the quality loss get more and more audible, for the same reason lossy image formats like JPG degrades if you keep saving them in that format when doing image editing.

Offline butfluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 06, 2020, 08:57 PM »
i have been running mega/sega cd games using neogenesis for xbox original which again uses iso/mp3 format.
 i downloaded the entire set again a few years back and most the games are in iso/wav format which can be converted using the tool krikzz posted but the img clone cd images i don't know about.
 maybe i will just re-download those ones in iso/wav format to be sure. i did not get a reply about the img format so i gather nobody has tried using these images on the pro.

Offline johnyept

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 06, 2020, 10:35 PM »
Just to clarify: Since both the Mega Everdrive Pro and the "other one" can run 32x games and Sega/Mega CD games, but not games that require both, do all Sega/Mega CD games enhanced with 32x also have versions without 32x requirement? I was checking the 32x games list at Wikipedia and by following these games links, they all seem to have both Sega/Mega CD versions and 32x Enhanced versions:
- Corpse Killer
- Fahrenheit
- Night Trap
- Slam City with Scottie Pippen
- Supreme Warrior
- Surgical Strike

EDIT: Sorry for the dumb question. As indicated in the Sega Retro:
Six games were released that require both add-on units in order to be played. All of these titles are full motion video based games, which were previously available as standalone Mega-CD games, and later had their FMV assets upgraded to take advantage of the 32X's improved graphics. As such, all six were released on CDs, with the cart slot of the 32X being unused during gameplay.
So yes, all CD games can be played (if compatible), except for the 2nd version of the 6 above which requires both addons. Nice!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 12:16 AM by johnyept »

Offline butfluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 13, 2020, 02:30 PM »
seems the latest os update has support for multi image files. hopefully the redump collection is compatible now without converting anything.
 the redump collection is in bin/wav format. does anyone know if the redump collection is compatible with the latest update?

Offline RetroRGB

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 13, 2020, 07:42 PM »
After the latest update, everything I tried from the redump set works:  https://www.retrorgb.com/mega-everdrive-pro-review.html

Offline johnyept

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 13, 2020, 10:44 PM »
Simply awesome! I prefer the Mega Everdrive Pro's regular cartridge format over the Mega SD's virtua racing cartridge format, the only downside was the image format support that now seems fixed.

This is just a personal taste and in no way a deal breaker, but I really like the Mega SD menu small window that shows snapshots of the ROMs, and I hope that the ED Pro could add this option in the future, plus a snapshot of each save file instead of a full screen preview. Even better, an option to switch between snapshot image, cartridge image, and game box image. Now THAT would make the Mega Everdrive Pro even greater!

Offline butfluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 14, 2020, 04:27 PM »
great news that the redump set works now.
 i'm going to get a mega everdrive pro for certain.
 regarding cosmetics such as screenshots and box arts. krikzz has never seemed interested in these features as far as i know.
 it would be a nice touch to have box art support. the jaguar gamedrive looks great with the boxarts in menu but the lack of cosmetics with krikzz products would never be a deal breaker.
 for me quality and functionality is the main thing.

Offline zem

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 15, 2020, 01:40 PM »
Two questions regarding compatibility with the "Analogue Mega Sg" in order not to buy something that I would regret later:

• Are "Mega EverDrive PRO" and "Mega EverDrive X7" compatible with it?
  • And what is the better choice, the "Mega EverDrive PRO" or "Mega EverDrive X7"?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 01:43 PM by zem »

Offline Chriss

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 16, 2020, 05:59 PM »
Two questions regarding compatibility with the "Analogue Mega Sg" in order not to buy something that I would regret later:

• And what is the better choice, the "Mega EverDrive PRO" or "Mega EverDrive X7"?

The Pro has all the features of the X7 + many more, for example Sega CD support.

Offline Assman

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 16, 2020, 06:43 PM »

If you have a Mega SG, you don't even need an Everdrive. Unless you really need save-states or Sega CD support, just use the jailbreak firmware which lets you load ROMs.[/list]