Author Topic: Question on SD memory cards for EverDrive cross-carting  (Read 19215 times)

Offline unseenforces

• Stop all the downloading.
    • View Profile
    • Bounty Hunter 4 Hire
Question on SD memory cards for EverDrive cross-carting
« on: February 17, 2014, 08:44 PM »
Hey guys,

I was wondering, since I don't own these EverDrives yet, but am looking to pick up the ED64 V2, ED N8, and Super ED, do I really need to have separate SD cards for each? Or can I just buy 1x 32GB class 10 card and folder the games separately and it still work for each system?

Or do I need to have a designated SD card per cart per system?

ALSO while I'm here... I know everyone prefers original hardware, but for the sake of my apartment entertainment system area (and my nagging wife) does anyone know if the EverDrive carts work for the RetroN 2 that is a toploader NES / SNES combo?

Thanks guys, really appreciate the info!

friggin' proud to see you OG gamers holding it together like this in such an epic proportion. Super happy to contribute my money and word of mouth on Krikzz success. This coming from an 80's kid with the konami code tatted up his right arm :)

Kind regards

JC
Audaces Fortuna Juvat

Offline stonie

• the red eye'd mage
    • View Profile
Re: Question on SD memory cards for EverDrive cross-carting
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 04:36 AM »
i could be wrong but i have doubts that most the everdrives would accept 32GB just cuz there is no need for one so big. maybe on the 64 one but even still the games are that huge. i bet you can do it with a smaller card but do you really want to do it that way. i guess this is more of a big deal for me though cuz i made my everdrives so that the sd card doesn't stick out of the cart it is all packed inside lol.
flashcarts- acecard 2i, everdrive md, everdrive n8, cyclo ievolution

Offline unseenforces

• View Profile
    • Bounty Hunter 4 Hire
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 05:41 AM »
i could be wrong but i have doubts that most the everdrives would accept 32GB just cuz there is no need for one so big. maybe on the 64 one but even still the games are that huge. i bet you can do it with a smaller card but do you really want to do it that way. i guess this is more of a big deal for me though cuz i made my everdrives so that the sd card doesn't stick out of the cart it is all packed inside lol.

That's actually pretty cool idea... keeping them inside.

So what's the recommended SD card size per cart then?

would you say

2GB NES
4GB SNES
8GB N64?

What I was thinking about doing was just having 8GB that would hold ALL roms and then I would just put it in whatever cart I need. But Having it self contained is actually pretty cool too!
Audaces Fortuna Juvat

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 02:23 PM »
2GB is probably enough for several romsets on the NES.
4GB might be enough for SNES.
8GB is definitely not enough for all N64 roms. The complete no-intro set is about 20GB and it's missing a few games.

If you are going one SD for them all, just remember that some Everdrives take micro SD. Micro SD usually comes with an SD card adapter though. I think most Everdrives (all?) supports SDHC so 32GB shouldn't be a problem.

If you are going self contained, just remember you'll have to open the shell every time you want to update it, or put a new homebrew/hack on it. And Everdrives gets updates fairly frequently.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 02:27 PM by nuu »

Offline esmith13

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 11:48 PM »
I have SDHC (16GB) cards in both my N8 and my Super EDv2. If they work fine (which they do) then 32GB would also be supported as it is also SDHC.
As far as card sharing, I did try that with my NES and SNES EDs using one 16GB card and it worked fine. The OSs for each ED are stored in a folder uniquely named for each flashcart and all fashcart created files (like save data) are stored within that OS folder. For my own sanity I created two folders at the root level "NES" and "SNES" and did my alphabetized folders for each system nested within them.

Thant being said I paid about $12 each for SanDisk 16GB SDHC Class 10 microSD cards with SD adapters included. I bought four of them. One for each ED (I have the EDMDv3 on the way) and one for my PSP I use for emulation.

If you can pay for a few EverDrives, what's $12 more per ED for a good SD card?

Offline FriendofSonic

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 07:45 PM »
I just got them all their own cards because they're so cheap, especially the smaller sized ones that'll work fine for NES and SNES. And between the different mods and the full library, I filled up the 32GB card a good chunk for the N64 games. Not all the way, but I like knowing there's space in case the N64 hacking community explodes in the coming years.

Offline unseenforces

• View Profile
    • Bounty Hunter 4 Hire
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2014, 09:41 PM »
wonderful replies guys, for some reason I thought all the everdrives accepted standard SD card sizes, it's actually cheaper on ebay to get the micro ones, so if they all take micro I should be good to go :)

I'm going to get 32GB for all 3, since it's the most commonly available and pretty cheap as well on ebay

there wont be any issues with class either right? Going to get C10s since they seem the fastest.

thanks again!!!

UNSEEN
Audaces Fortuna Juvat

Offline unseenforces

• View Profile
    • Bounty Hunter 4 Hire
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2014, 09:50 PM »
I'm sorry... I think I miss-read... only SOME everdrives take micro sd cards.

out of the the follow, which take Micro, and which standard?

N8

Super

N64

this is only for purposes of whether I will need a multi memory card reader, or just 1 micro reader

thanks again!
Audaces Fortuna Juvat

Offline esmith13

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2014, 09:52 PM »
They do not all take microSD natively. I suggest you do buy all microSD cards but insure they come with full size SD adapters.

I have a Super Everdrive v2, Everdrive MD v3 and a N8 Everdrive and all three of them take FULL SIZE SD cards.

Offline esmith13

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2014, 09:55 PM »
I'm sorry... I think I miss-read... only SOME everdrives take micro sd cards.

out of the the follow, which take Micro, and which standard?

N8

Super

N64

this is only for purposes of whether I will need a multi memory card reader, or just 1 micro reader

thanks again!

All three of those need full size SD cards or a microSD card with an SD adapter (which is what I use).

This is assuming for super nintendo you meant the super everdrive not SD2SNES which I'm not sure about...

Offline unseenforces

• View Profile
    • Bounty Hunter 4 Hire
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2014, 09:58 PM »
cool, and looking at the three at stoneagedgamer.. looks like they all support SDHC.

I think I'm good now! three 32gb C10 SDHC cards with adapters, and 1 Micro Reader :)

this micro reader seems pretty cool, vintage gaming looking almost! and a whopping 1 dollar lol
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Diamond-USB-2-0-High-Speed-Micro-SD-SDHC-TF-Card-Reader-Support-128MB-32GB-HMY-/111200792749?pt=US_Memory_Card_Readers_Adapters&hash=item19e41570ad
Audaces Fortuna Juvat

Offline esmith13

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2014, 10:09 PM »
Not to burst your bubble but since every everdrive you plan to buy is full size SD I recommend you consider getting a reader that accepts both sizes or at least full size SD. Pulling the microSD card out of the SD adapter over and over can increase risk of damage/failure. The full size SD adapter is far less fragile.

For example:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Micro-SD-TF-SDHC-T-flash-MMC-SDHC-RSMMC-M2-MS-PRO-Duo-Memory-Card-Reader-SY-568-/231109455652?pt=US_Memory_Card_Readers_Adapters&hash=item35cf326f24

This one can read both full size cards on one side and the micro card itself on the other side as well as a few others.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 10:12 PM by esmith13 »

Offline unseenforces

• View Profile
    • Bounty Hunter 4 Hire
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2014, 10:27 PM »
Not to burst your bubble but since every everdrive you plan to buy is full size SD I recommend you consider getting a reader that accepts both sizes or at least full size SD. Pulling the microSD card out of the SD adapter over and over can increase risk of damage/failure. The full size SD adapter is far less fragile.

For example:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Micro-SD-TF-SDHC-T-flash-MMC-SDHC-RSMMC-M2-MS-PRO-Duo-Memory-Card-Reader-SY-568-/231109455652?pt=US_Memory_Card_Readers_Adapters&hash=item35cf326f24

This one can read both full size cards on one side and the micro card itself on the other side as well as a few others.

excellent advice. You sir are a champion among nerf herders.

much appreciated.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 10:30 PM by unseenforces »
Audaces Fortuna Juvat

Offline unseenforces

• View Profile
    • Bounty Hunter 4 Hire
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2014, 10:34 PM »
since I'm all about visual stimulation (I'm a graphic designer btw)

these multi card readers look pretty awesome!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-All-in-One-USB-2-0-Multi-Memory-Card-Reader-Mini-SD-SDHC-MMC-TF-MS-M2-/150800016624?pt=US_Memory_Card_Readers_Adapters&hash=item231c61a4f0
Audaces Fortuna Juvat

Offline unseenforces

• View Profile
    • Bounty Hunter 4 Hire
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2014, 11:02 PM »
I just got them all their own cards because they're so cheap, especially the smaller sized ones that'll work fine for NES and SNES. And between the different mods and the full library, I filled up the 32GB card a good chunk for the N64 games. Not all the way, but I like knowing there's space in case the N64 hacking community explodes in the coming years.

that would be AMAZING... well looking here I can see most if not all of my N64 games that I'd want are all here - http://www.theoldcomputer.com/roms/index.php?folder=Nintendo/N64/USA

and the entire complete list is under 4GB, tack on another 4GB for save game date for safe measure, I'm still half way through a 16GB card. Just wondering where somebody was saying there's a good 20GB in games alone? Are these like unreleased japanese games or something? Don't see that many games out there!

Audaces Fortuna Juvat