Author Topic: Japanese games with extra sound channels such as Castlevania III  (Read 5745 times)

Offline Tzakiel

• View Profile
I put a rom of akamajou densetsu (cv iii Japanese version) on the everdrive and the sound is off. Is this because the Japanese cart actually had a special chip supported by famicom? So it can't work with the full sound on a US NES?

Offline Atse

• View Profile
Re: Japanese games with extra sound channels such as Castlevania III
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 11:57 AM »
Those pins arent connect in the NES, a mod is required to be able to hear famicom expansion sound.

Link below how to fix it, only a resistor is needed.

http://www.retrofixes.com/2014/05/open-hidden-sound-channels-in-nes.html

Offline Tzakiel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2017, 12:12 AM »
Thanks for hat info. Any idea what resistor is best for the everdrives output?

Offline FrenchyToasty

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2017, 05:02 AM »
If you grab an Hi-DEF NES it'll work great.

not an easy install.

Offline Tzakiel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2017, 06:10 AM »
If you grab an Hi-DEF NES it'll work great.

not an easy install.

I'm not sure I understand? It appears to be one transistor soldered to 2 large pins.

Offline Sarge

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2017, 12:58 AM »
I'm guessing he means installing the Hi-Def NES kit is difficult, not the resistor.

For mine, I believe I used a 47K resistor.  There are some arguments on what the proper value is, especially if you're using real carts as well as the EverDrive.  You might want to consider a potentiometer in that case, so you can adjust the sound balance to your liking.  I may go back into mine one day and do so.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 01:02 AM by Sarge »
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Discuss games ten years old or older! Now with a modern gaming section!

http://hardcoreretrogaming.boards.net/

Offline FBX

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2017, 08:30 AM »
With the recent firmware forcing "Hi" audio mode in the Everdrive N8, I decided to develop my own method for mixing the sound of Akumajou Densetsu into the audio output of my NESRGB-modded front-loader NES. Now the normal method of getting those extra sounds from the Everdrive N8 is to bridge pin#3 and #9 with a resistor (I had used a 56k for this), but the problem with that mod is it only pipes the sound to the external RCA jack and completely bypasses the NESRGB. My new method now just tacks a wire to pin #9 (I removed the resistor bridge to #3 as it is not needed for this), then I soldered a 470 ohm resistor to the wire and then wired that to the "O" pad on the NESRGB board. I made sure I was getting optimal mix levels by testing different resistance, and 470 ohm was as good as it could get. This works pretty well as a temporary measure, but I'm thinking about going a step further and isolating the NERGB audio output with a cap so the expansion audio cannot crawl up the line into the NESRGB. This would effectively force the expansion audio to only go down the line to the multi-AV port. This may even change the resistance value needed, and I'm thinking I might even go with a pot knob so this mod would be flexible for real Japanese carts.

Offline Tzakiel

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2017, 05:22 AM »
With the recent firmware forcing "Hi" audio mode in the Everdrive N8, I decided to develop my own method for mixing the sound of Akumajou Densetsu into the audio output of my NESRGB-modded front-loader NES. Now the normal method of getting those extra sounds from the Everdrive N8 is to bridge pin#3 and #9 with a resistor (I had used a 56k for this), but the problem with that mod is it only pipes the sound to the external RCA jack and completely bypasses the NESRGB. My new method now just tacks a wire to pin #9 (I removed the resistor bridge to #3 as it is not needed for this), then I soldered a 470 ohm resistor to the wire and then wired that to the "O" pad on the NESRGB board. I made sure I was getting optimal mix levels by testing different resistance, and 470 ohm was as good as it could get. This works pretty well as a temporary measure, but I'm thinking about going a step further and isolating the NERGB audio output with a cap so the expansion audio cannot crawl up the line into the NESRGB. This would effectively force the expansion audio to only go down the line to the multi-AV port. This may even change the resistance value needed, and I'm thinking I might even go with a pot knob so this mod would be flexible for real Japanese carts.

That all sounds really awesome. Wish I had any soldering skills at all :) This is the way I would go for sure, as I only use SCART cable out.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 05:24 AM by Tzakiel »

Offline FBX

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2017, 03:41 PM »
I've since switched to Slamy's 100% volume VRC6 mapper as his version sounds FAR superior to the default one that comes with the N8. In this case, I had to up the resistance to 690 Ohms, but it sounds great. I've ordered some potentiometers with dials so I can replace the resistors with those. This should give me flexibility to adjust the resistance using the potentiometer, so I can set mixing levels for other mappers and real carts with expansion audio.

I'll post how that works out once the package arrives in a couple days.

Offline FrenchyToasty

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2017, 02:18 AM »
Yeah installing the Hi-Def NES kit will make your nes compatible with all audio mappers, no additional mods needed.

it's not a small install, but it's not complicated, though unsoldering both PPU and CPU and then soldering the Interposers isn,t for the faint of heart.