Author Topic: Is this screen junk caused by the everdrive?  (Read 2376 times)

Offline Tzakiel

• View Profile
Is this screen junk caused by the everdrive?
« on: June 11, 2019, 12:37 AM »
https://youtu.be/9tEEKyfQX30

Dots / flicker in middle of screen during “scene” changes. Any game. Wondering if it’s a known ED issue or if I should go about recapping my genesis. I don’t have a real cart unfortunately to try. Sega cd attached does not do this with its games. No problem there which means video cable and path to tv is fine.

Offline Marteicos

• View Profile
Re: Is this screen junk caused by the everdrive?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2019, 01:23 AM »
I think it's the software.

Not a problem.

Offline Tzakiel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2019, 03:44 AM »
Nah, this happens in every game, and doesn’t happen on capture footage of other consoles of the same scenes I can make it happen during.

Offline Assman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2019, 05:26 AM »
That just looks like CRAM dots to me. It's the hardware, not the ED. The same thing happens on my setup, and would happen on any legitimate Genesis variation. If you're looking for it, you'll see the same thing occur in other games.

Offline Tzakiel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2019, 11:21 AM »
That just looks like CRAM dots to me. It's the hardware, not the ED. The same thing happens on my setup, and would happen on any legitimate Genesis variation. If you're looking for it, you'll see the same thing occur in other games.

You get dots right in the middle of the screen like this during cut to black scenes?

Offline Marteicos

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2019, 02:03 PM »
That behavior is normal. If you have a Sega CD burn the disc version of the video tester and you will see it doing the same thing.

Most tv sets are ok with the console resolution change but capture devices are more finicky. Some games change resolution on the fly.

Offline Assman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2019, 03:35 PM »
You get dots right in the middle of the screen like this during cut to black scenes?

During the exact same scene in the exact same ROM as your video, yes. It's a bug of sorts with the hardware. The explanation, as I understand it, is that when new palette entries are written, these dots appear on screen. Some developers tried to move these into the overscan area of the screen or somewhere less noticeable and some didn't. Look at Labyrinth Zone in Sonic 1; the same flickering dots appear at the water level (this is where the palettes are being swapped mid-screen to increase the amount of colors you see).