Author Topic: Mega Man II, has anyone gotten this game launch using game genie cheats?  (Read 7557 times)

Offline BaNd1t

• View Profile
Hi all,
  I was wondering if anyone has gotten Mega Man II to launch/run after using game genie codes? The title screen comes up and freezes for me, so I am not sure if I did something incorrectly by using a code that prevents the game from launching because it is loaded or if this particular game isn't working. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Offline Kyle

• Game Genie Guy
    • View Profile
Did you get Shantae or Mario Land working?

Offline BaNd1t

• View Profile
Kyle,
  The code you posted for Super Mario Land did not work in the EDGB. I am thinking it might have to do with how the EDGB is programmed as Krikzz mentioned that only rom codes work and not ram ones. I was unaware that game genie I guess does both ram and rom codes, even though I don't know how to tell the difference between the two if it's coded as a game genie code overall. As for Shantae, I don't have a PC(Mac user)so I can't patch the rom as I have not seen any mac based patchers. Like I said, Krikzz is probably onto something maybe with the ram as opposed to the rom codes, but I am not quite sure how one can tell which code is which when it comes to game genie.

Thanks

Offline saturnu

• ヽ(^o^)丿
    • View Profile
    • :D
keep in mind, that there might be different rom versions out there. ^^
offset address 0x14C in the header stands for the rom version number,
for super mario land, there is a 00h version which represents v1.0 and a 01h version which represents v1.1.

for different versions of the game, it's possible or even likely that you need different cheat codes.

Offline nuu

• View Profile
I don't have a PC(Mac user)so I can't patch the rom as I have not seen any mac based patchers.
Just google for a Mac patching program. MultiPatch can take many common patching formats.

Offline BaNd1t

• View Profile
Nuu,
  Thanks for the suggestion. I googled your suggestion, and found the program, but I am confused as to how it works exactly? Like how do I add the cheats and stuff. For example do I take said .gb file as one file, then open said .txt file and hit patch? How do I go about getting the game genie codes in is what I am confused about.

Thanks.

Offline rimsky82

• Avid Cheater
    • View Profile
    • GameHacking.org
Game Genie is only rom codes.  Krikzz said the EDGB only supports rom codes, because that's all game genie does is patch rom.

I believe there is something wrong with the game genie feature, perhaps dealing with offsets or something.  I could be wrong.

Offline nuu

• View Profile
Nuu,
  Thanks for the suggestion. I googled your suggestion, and found the program, but I am confused as to how it works exactly? Like how do I add the cheats and stuff. For example do I take said .gb file as one file, then open said .txt file and hit patch? How do I go about getting the game genie codes in is what I am confused about.

Thanks.
You can't just patch game genie codes with a normal patcher like that. I thought you had an ips patch or something.

Game Genie Guy can patch roms with game genie codes but I don't know if there's a Mac version of that program.

Offline Kyle

• Game Genie Guy
    • View Profile
Game Genie Guy ran fine on Linux via Wine. Should be the same for OSX.