Author Topic: Has anyone gotten EverDrive GB to work on Retron 5?  (Read 12796 times)

Offline BaNd1t

• View Profile
Has anyone gotten EverDrive GB to work on Retron 5?
« on: May 30, 2014, 08:51 PM »
Hi all,
  So I tried to get my EDGB to work on my Retron 5, and it reads the card fine, I just can't get it to go to the screen where you select the roms and such. I haven't installed the new firmware that was released today, so I don't know if that fixes any problems or not, but I was curious if anyone has had any success with the EDGB working on the Retron 5 yet. Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

PS And for those who say the Retron 5 ISN'T OUT YET, I INDEED DO HAVE ONE THAT WAS PURCHASED FROM LUNA VIDEO GAMES IN OCEAN BEACH, CA so they are out now.

Offline Paulweeze

• Video Game Connoisseur
  • Music and Games are good for the soul.
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone gotten EverDrive GB to work on Retron 5?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 09:54 PM »
http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=908.0
This topic was of course started before anyone had a R5 (quite honestly, I didnt think it really would have came out this summer). Please keep us updated on the pros and cons of the R5, but i dont think some everdrives (if not all) will work.
Everdrives I own: ED64, Mega Everdrive, EDGB, EDGG, N8, Master Everdrive

Other Flashcarts: SD2SNES

Offline Kyle

• Game Genie Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 10:33 PM »
You should not expect this to work. The Retron 5 downloads the contents of the cart and compares it against a database to see if it is a known game. It then throws it in their emulator. Hyperkin has said multiple times they don't support it.

Offline tokumaru

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 10:46 PM »
Based on all the information we have about the Retron 5 (apparently it uses emulators running on Android), Flash carts are very unlikely to work. The Retron 5 probably dumps the cartridge once and then launches the appropriate emulator. This matches the behavior you describe: The Retron 5 is able to dump the basic EDGB ROM and starts running the program, but since the hardware is not accessed again, the emulated ROM can't possibly see the contents of the Micro SD card and much less load a new ROM. I don't think this can be fixed with firmware updates, this limitation is an inherent characteristic of the way the hardware was designed, which treats the cartridge as a simple storage media instead of an active hardware add-on. This limitation might also affect new homebrew releases.

What could be done with firmware updates is have the Retron 5 itself load ROMs from an SD card, since it's already able to run ROMs it dumps from actual cartridges. This would completely eliminate the need for Flash carts, but I imagine the maintainers of the Retron 5 are not interest in associating their product with piracy.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 10:49 PM by tokumaru »

Offline Kyle

• Game Genie Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2014, 10:57 PM »
Yes it would take a hacked firmware to make that happen. They said no roms from SD. Most people are saying to buy an OUYA if you want to play roms.

Offline wilykat

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2014, 04:53 AM »
Sounds like it won't work with xxx-in-1 multicarts either.  The multicart also loads the menu first and you select the game. The menu software then sets the memory bank to the selected block that has the game but I doubt Retron would reload the cart for the memory block and thus switching games will fail.

I can't wait to see if there's irate users who can't get Super Mario Bros/Duck Hunt working at all.

Offline Paulweeze

• Video Game Connoisseur
  • Music and Games are good for the soul.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2014, 05:00 AM »
Sounds like it won't work with xxx-in-1 multicarts either.  The multicart also loads the menu first and you select the game. The menu software then sets the memory bank to the selected block that has the game but I doubt Retron would reload the cart for the memory block and thus switching games will fail.

I can't wait to see if there's irate users who can't get Super Mario Bros/Duck Hunt working at all.
Man that blows  :-\. Doesnt sound like anything but retail carts will play on this thing.
Everdrives I own: ED64, Mega Everdrive, EDGB, EDGG, N8, Master Everdrive

Other Flashcarts: SD2SNES

Offline tokumaru

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2014, 05:40 AM »
Sounds like it won't work with xxx-in-1 multicarts either.

I would expect some of them to fail, but not for the reason you think. ;)

The multicart also loads the menu first and you select the game. The menu software then sets the memory bank to the selected block that has the game but I doubt Retron would reload the cart for the memory block and thus switching games will fail.

If this was the case, anything with bankswitching would fail. XXX-in-1 carts use nothing more than plain old bankswitching to change games, meaning that all game data is already in the PRG and CHR chips, while Flash carts have special hardware to access memory other than the PRG and CHR (i.e. the SD card) so it can fill the PRG and CHR with the ROM file you choose. If the Retron knows the mapper used in your XXX-in-1 game, it will be able to play it.

The hardware must know the mapper in order to know which register writes it has to do in order to dump the full cart, and then the software (emulator) has to know the mapper in order to simulate it and allow the ROM to work. If the Retron 5 firmware is actively maintained, carts like obscure XXX-in-1 or new homebrew games might fail at first, but be supported later, when the Retron team has had time to properly catalog the new games and update the firmware.

I would expect SMB/DH to work, being an official release and all. Bankswitching is bankswitching, regardless of whether it's being used to load a new level or an entire new game... Consoles and emulators don't care about what's being loaded, they'll just switch to the new banks when told to.

Offline Missingno255

• hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2014, 10:16 AM »
No Everdrive should have to suffer sitting through the horrible fate that is the RetroN5. :(
Owned Everdrives: Everdrive MD, Mega Everdrive, Everdrive N8, Everdrive GB X5, Turbo Everdrive, Super Everdrive, Everdrive GBA

Misc Flashcarts: SD2SNES

Offline rimsky82

• Avid Cheater
    • View Profile
    • GameHacking.org
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2014, 03:39 AM »
I can confirm the the EDGB does not work.  It loops between resetting settings and the disk init screen.

I haven't tried the other everdrives.

Offline strider1911

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2014, 03:30 AM »
Someone will probably make a custom firmware for that thing that will enable loading roms straight from the SD card.

Offline tokumaru

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2014, 08:43 AM »
Someone will probably make a custom firmware for that thing that will enable loading roms straight from the SD card.

Yeah, that would be the way to go. Using a Flash cart to load a ROM into a memory chip so that a dumper can read from it and recreate the ROM file sounds damn silly if you think about it. It's much simpler to just load the ROM from SD straight into the emulator.

Forget about Flash carts on the Retron 5, it will never happen. The way the Retron 5 is designed makes it impossible for it to access cartridges in real time.