Author Topic: Release - Alt64 with stable, fully functional GameShark  (Read 67589 times)

Offline Hexatendo

• View Profile
Re: Release - Alt64 with stable, fully functional GameShark
« Reply #75 on: October 03, 2014, 04:34 AM »
No, you misunderstood. See, I want to hack ocarina of time v1.0 to enable map select. I want to use a hex editor. But I can only modify up to 2 digits. I want to apply gameshark codes to a hex editor like for example, 815A265B 4653. I cant modify this code because it only lets 2 digits, not 4.

Offline Modman

• View Profile
    • Kodewerx
« Reply #76 on: October 03, 2014, 06:11 AM »
What is this I don't even

« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 06:28 AM by Modman »

Offline Hexatendo

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 03, 2014, 07:46 PM »
Um, I don't understand your post! My question is: How do i convert gameshark codes to hex values? I want to make an automatic map select hack like the debug rom, but it's for 1.0 instead. Any help? Thanks!

Offline Modman

• View Profile
    • Kodewerx
« Reply #78 on: October 03, 2014, 08:53 PM »
Yeah, thanks, rimsky82! This is just perfect(assuming I can hex edit with the modifications)!  By the way, how can you hex edit codes like FF84? I want to enable zelda map select as a hack (like Debug rom), but there are codes like the example. I'm using Lspyro. (Hex editor is one of many mod type apps)

I'm not quite sure I follow you, but the .yml files are easier edited with a text editor.

If you mean you want to patch the rom with a certain code, I believe all N64 Gameshark codes modify RAM addresses.  Therefore, you can't directly patch a rom using them... you'd have to use a debugger to modify the ASM writing to the RAM address.

As Rimsky82 said, GameShark codes modify ram values, not Rom code. They can't just be converted into rom hacks. You need to learn assembly, disassemble the rom, trace to the area of the rom you want to modify, and modify it that way.

This thing you want to do is not quick and trivial. You have a long road ahead of you if you really want to see it through.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 08:59 PM by Modman »

Offline TheRetromancer

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 03, 2014, 09:08 PM »
No, you misunderstood. See, I want to hack ocarina of time v1.0 to enable map select. I want to use a hex editor. But I can only modify up to 2 digits. I want to apply gameshark codes to a hex editor like for example, 815A265B 4653. I cant modify this code because it only lets 2 digits, not 4.

Sounds like you need a bit of a primer on patching and Gameshark codes.

Those first two digits, 81, mean to write 2 bytes to the address defined by the next 6 digits, in this case 0x5A265B, with value 0x4653.

But you'll need to find the ROM address, which means you'll need to do a bit of subtraction.  So you take 5A265B, subtract 245000, and you get the address of 35D65B.  So you go to offset 0x35D65B and change its value to 4653.

This, however, changes the checksum, which will cause the game not to load, because all of the ROM range between 0x1000 and 0x100000 is checksum protected.  You can either use a checksum recalculator, or you can get rid of the CRC check entirely by NOPing out two instructions in the ROM:

0x066C: BNE A3, T0, 0x800001C8
0x0678: BNE S0, T0, 0x800001C8

https://sites.google.com/site/messiaen64/patching-gameshark-codes
Code is sacred to programmers - Krikzz' stuff is the holy grail.  It's literally like asking if you can stick your finger up the Pope's arse.

The best way to learn is to ask questions.  Remember, there are no stupid questions - only stupid people, and stupid people DON'T ASK QUESTIONS.

Offline Modman

• View Profile
    • Kodewerx
« Reply #80 on: October 03, 2014, 09:24 PM »
Oh, fair enough. Didn't realize you could trace the location so easily. Guess I need to brush up myself, that wasn't what came to mind for me at all. It has been years since I've touched this stuff, though.

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 03, 2014, 09:27 PM »
Hexatendo, I don't know how to do what you want, but this might help you:

http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=1620.msg16379

Offline rimsky82

• Avid Cheater
    • View Profile
    • GameHacking.org
« Reply #82 on: October 04, 2014, 03:56 AM »
We were right Modman, but so were they.  Evidently a lot of ASM is copied to certain parts of the RAM, so Gameshark codes that write to those areas can be patched to the ROM.  But not ALL codes, just the ones in the range described by that tutorial listed a couple of posts up.

Edit:  The code in question doesn't appear to be in that range.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 03:58 AM by rimsky82 »

Offline Modman

• View Profile
    • Kodewerx
« Reply #83 on: October 05, 2014, 05:44 AM »
So it is what it is. Hexatendo, what you want to do can be done, but not without an extensive and personal look into the game you wish to modify. Just go for it, dude. Turn reliance on everyone else into reliance on yourself.

Offline Shadow

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 07, 2014, 04:37 AM »
I'm having issues with the activator codes for San Fransisco Rush 2049.  At first I thought it was krikzz' menu so I tried Alt64 but no change.
I got it paired with max speed so the car goes super fast pressing the R button but then the buttons start pressing randomly like it's spazing out.  I tried different button presses and alternated between the 3 different activator codes with no success.  Anyone have the same issue?

Activator 1   D0037AA4 00??
Activator 2   D0037AA5 00??
Dual Activator   D1037AA4 ????

Speed Modifier2   8114A298 ????
Use these quantities only, and use with activator!
4333 - 146 mph, nice for a good joy ride.
4350 - 170 mph, a little faster, easy to control.
4380 - 210 mph, fast, harder to control.
4393 - 270 mph, INSANELY FAST, only use if you like to crash(BTW, the crashes are hilarious with this)

Activator 1 buttons

00 - No Buttons
          01 - D-Pad Right
          02 - D-Pad Lefft
          04 - D-Pad Down
          08 - D-Pad Up
          10 - Start
          20 - Z
          40 - B
          80 - A

Activator 2 buttons

00 - No Buttons
          01 - C-Right
          02 - C-Lefft
          04 - C-Down
          08 - C-Up
          10 - R
          20 - L

Offline Modman

• View Profile
    • Kodewerx
« Reply #85 on: October 07, 2014, 05:34 AM »
So the codes work in Krikzz's menu and in Alt64? That is, the codes take effect and do what they're supposed to, but the buttons start misbehaving after?

If the codes are working in both menus, and having the same issues in both menus, then it's probably not the GameShark engines. There are completely different implementations in both menus. More likely, there is a bug in the way the menus handle controller interrupts, or a bug with the compatibility of that specific game with the menus.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 05:44 AM by Modman »

Offline Shadow

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 07, 2014, 07:19 AM »
Ah ok,  dang it.   I did unplug the controller too and it still goes berserk.  You mean the game menus?  If so then I know that it doesn't do this on project 64.

EDIT:  So far with my testing its the only game that does it.  I can't say for the other games except for the ones I've tried.  The moon jump activator code by pressing L works on Mario 64.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 08:16 AM by Shadow »

Offline Modman

• View Profile
    • Kodewerx
« Reply #87 on: October 07, 2014, 08:34 AM »
Yeah, we did a lot of testing before we released, but we didn't test every code with every game. For example, the Hit Anywhere code for super smash bros works fine on a real GameShark, but doesn't work on Alt64. That's the only legitimate code I know of that doesn't work properly, but there may be more. That being said, if a code isn't working in Alt64, it's not going to work at all. If it's working (doing what it's supposed to), but there are other unintended side affects, like the buttons going crazy, it's probably something unique about the game that just needs to be figured out and patched in an upcoming menu version.

And, no, not the game menus. The menu, as I refer to it, is either Alt64, Alternative ED64 menu, or OS 2.05. Whichever is appropriate in context.

And we are not sure at all why the Hit Anywhere code isn't working in Alt64. By everything we've seen, it should be.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 08:42 AM by Modman »

Offline Shadow

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 07, 2014, 09:39 AM »
I think I'm going to sit down and test virtually every game with most of the wanted codes and provide you guys a list.  Maybe by that list you can correlate and determine what the issues could be.  I'm not thinking of testing codes that glitch the games like menu freezing and what not but codes that are actually helpful.
Would that help out?

Offline Modman

• View Profile
    • Kodewerx
« Reply #89 on: October 07, 2014, 05:42 PM »
That would be awesome! Getting codes like Hit Anywhere for Super Smash Bros and the button activators for the game you listed to work may turn out to be a two fold operation requiring both upgrades to the GS engine as well as improvements in game compatibility with the Everdrive menus. Getting an idea of which codes work and any codes that might act up will allow us to zero in on where the issues lie. All of the other codes I've tested for Super Smash Bros, for example, work flawlessly. This could be an issue with the GameShark, but it could also be an issue with some small glitch in the menu.

Just keep in mind that there are codes that don't work properly in Alt64 or on a real N64 GameShark, like the Infinite Eggs as soon as you pick one up code for Yoshi's Story. If I'm not mistaken, that is an example of an assembly hack code that was made in an emulator. The same freeze that happens during gameplay with that code enabled in Alt64 happens on a real GameShark as well.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 05:48 PM by Modman »