Author Topic: Release - Alt64 with stable, fully functional GameShark  (Read 66604 times)

Online Kerr Avon

• View Profile
Re: Release - Alt64 with stable, fully functional GameShark
« Reply #60 on: September 26, 2014, 05:11 PM »
hm, i think it would be an easy task, if the functions are ready to port it afterwards to a standalone tool, too.

That would be *great*  :)

another thing i'm thinking about is a standalone gnuboy64 port, i already have one ready, but i don't want to release it without fixing the sound first.

Not my thing, personally, but I'm sure quite a few people would like that, specially if it supported game save and load.

Offline MockyLock

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 26, 2014, 06:26 PM »
For sure, standalone versions would be the best. Copy/cut, easy update. Great, great !

Offline Hexatendo

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 27, 2014, 12:23 AM »
Yeah, If that's the case, I want to have ONLINE CAPABILITY on my everdrive provided I have the hardware (meaning similar design to the RANDNET capture cartridge) and coding skills necessary to program it. Do you know what programming language the OS uses? I'd love to play SUPER SMASH BROS. online! (Maybe a stupid question if the ONLY hardware with online is 64DD)

...Not sure if you're being serious or sarcastic here...
Yeah I am SERIOUS! I was thinking kaillera and emulator imperfections when it came to mind!

Offline TheRetromancer

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 27, 2014, 01:19 AM »
Yeah I am SERIOUS! I was thinking kaillera and emulator imperfections when it came to mind!

I see.  Tell me something, Hexatendo.  How familiar are you with coding in ASM?  In addition, how skilled are you at circuit design?  At web protocol?  Because you'll need an awful lot of skill in those areas (and likely others)if you ever want to make this dream a reality.

I'm not saying it's impossible, because I've seen people do similar things with the NES.  But I am saying that it's nearly impossible, extremely unlikely, and how many games do you really envision are going to be made to take advantage of the feature?  Again, I'm not trying to dissuade you...you just come across as both wildly optimistic and a little naive.
Code is sacred to programmers - Krikzz' stuff is the holy grail.  It's literally like asking if you can stick your finger up the Pope's arse.

The best way to learn is to ask questions.  Remember, there are no stupid questions - only stupid people, and stupid people DON'T ASK QUESTIONS.

Offline Hexatendo

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 27, 2014, 06:02 AM »
That's what I meant by coding

I see.  Tell me something, Hexatendo.  How familiar are you with coding in ASM?  In addition, how skilled are you at circuit design?  At web protocol?  Because you'll need an awful lot of skill in those areas (and likely others)if you ever want to make this dream a reality.

I'm not saying it's impossible, because I've seen people do similar things with the NES.  But I am saying that it's nearly impossible, extremely unlikely, and how many games do you really envision are going to be made to take advantage of the feature?  Again, I'm not trying to dissuade you...you just come across as both wildly optimistic and a little naive.

Yeah, what I meant is i need to LEARN how to code, THAT's what I meant. Although, I have LOTS of Ideas, and unfortunately, this idea might be like the most that's forgotten. In other words, an idea, think about it for a couple of days, and then forget. I see that 2.05 is FINALLY out. I JUST downloaded it.

Offline TheRetromancer

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 27, 2014, 07:04 AM »
Alright, then - as long as you are fully aware of what you're putting yourself up for, then I can do nothing but offer you every encouragement.  I don't think you'll be able to manage it.

But I want you to prove me wrong, and then rub it in my face.  In fact, I'll make a bet with you:  If you ever (and I mean EVER, in the span of both of our life-times) get this working in the real world (connecting to the internet, net-based multiplayer, etc), then I promise that I will fly out to your home city, and I will buy you and a friend dinner and drinks.

Go for it!
Code is sacred to programmers - Krikzz' stuff is the holy grail.  It's literally like asking if you can stick your finger up the Pope's arse.

The best way to learn is to ask questions.  Remember, there are no stupid questions - only stupid people, and stupid people DON'T ASK QUESTIONS.

Offline rimsky82

• Avid Cheater
    • View Profile
    • GameHacking.org
« Reply #66 on: September 29, 2014, 06:27 PM »
rimsky82 from gamehacking.org here...

I added yaml as an export on our site.  That means you can find your game, select the codes you want, and download them as a yaml file for use with this cheat engine.  I have an ED64v2 myself, and tested it.  Quick and easy.

http://gamehacking.org
http://gamehacking.org/?sys=n64

Offline Paulweeze

• Video Game Connoisseur
  • Music and Games are good for the soul.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 29, 2014, 06:39 PM »
Thanks Rimsky82! I have not personally tested the alt64 os, but now im encouraged to fiddle with it. Your site is awesome btw.
Everdrives I own: ED64, Mega Everdrive, EDGB, EDGG, N8, Master Everdrive

Other Flashcarts: SD2SNES

Offline Hexatendo

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 29, 2014, 07:56 PM »
Yeah, thanks! Although I might not use it because I want certain codes at certain times. Alt64 CAN'T do that!

Offline Modman

• View Profile
    • Kodewerx
« Reply #69 on: September 29, 2014, 10:55 PM »
You seem incredibly passionate about that feature, Hexatendo. You'd be the perfect person to add that functionality!

Offline rimsky82

• Avid Cheater
    • View Profile
    • GameHacking.org
« Reply #70 on: September 30, 2014, 01:21 AM »
Yeah, thanks! Although I might not use it because I want certain codes at certain times. Alt64 CAN'T do that!

Well, you can select the codes you want on the site, so you can get a new one at any time with different cheats.  At least there wouldn't be any editing involved!

Offline Modman

• View Profile
    • Kodewerx
« Reply #71 on: September 30, 2014, 02:21 AM »
Thank you, rimsky82, that's an awesome tool that you've made.

Online Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 30, 2014, 03:53 PM »
rimsky82 from gamehacking.org here...

I added yaml as an export on our site.  That means you can find your game, select the codes you want, and download them as a yaml file for use with this cheat engine.  I have an ED64v2 myself, and tested it.  Quick and easy.

http://gamehacking.org
http://gamehacking.org/?sys=n64

That is brilliant, mate! Thanks.

Offline Hexatendo

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 01, 2014, 08:32 PM »
Yeah, thanks, rimsky82! This is just perfect(assuming I can hex edit with the modifications)!  By the way, how can you hex edit codes like FF84? I want to enable zelda map select as a hack (like Debug rom), but there are codes like the example. I'm using Lspyro. (Hex editor is one of many mod type apps)

Offline rimsky82

• Avid Cheater
    • View Profile
    • GameHacking.org
« Reply #74 on: October 03, 2014, 03:12 AM »
Yeah, thanks, rimsky82! This is just perfect(assuming I can hex edit with the modifications)!  By the way, how can you hex edit codes like FF84? I want to enable zelda map select as a hack (like Debug rom), but there are codes like the example. I'm using Lspyro. (Hex editor is one of many mod type apps)

I'm not quite sure I follow you, but the .yml files are easier edited with a text editor.

If you mean you want to patch the rom with a certain code, I believe all N64 Gameshark codes modify RAM addresses.  Therefore, you can't directly patch a rom using them... you'd have to use a debugger to modify the ASM writing to the RAM address.