Author Topic: Running Pier Solar rom  (Read 45460 times)

Offline darkfalzx

• View Profile
Running Pier Solar rom
« on: April 18, 2013, 08:01 PM »
Hey guys!
As you might know - Pier Solar - the 64Mbit RPG that came out for Genny/MD two years ago has finally been dumped and is playable under MESS.
I have tried running it in Mega Everdrive, but it wouldn't get past the trademark screen - like the bad dump before it.

Any idea of how to get it to work?

(the rom is a little hard to find on teh internets - try Piratebay)

Offline rimsky82

• Avid Cheater
    • View Profile
    • GameHacking.org
Re: Running Pier Solar rom
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 09:17 PM »
I intend to help you out with this.  I had to dig up the rom I found a year or so ago, let me do some testing and get back.

Offline rimsky82

• Avid Cheater
    • View Profile
    • GameHacking.org
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 10:39 PM »
I've been looking at the asm for a bit, but haven't really tested anything yet.  It would be nice to be able to trace using the usb port.

Krikzz - is this possible?  To trace the asm and dump it to a file using the usb port?  Or even sd card I guess...

Offline darkfalzx

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 12:21 AM »
I don't think the rom from a year ago was complete - it basically dumped 8meg worth of the same memory page. There was a much more recent development where the rom was dumped properly, and is only supported by MESS at the moment. As I said - check this: http://thepiratebay.se/torrent/7982710/mess_-_pier_solar_-_full_rom

Offline rimsky82

• Avid Cheater
    • View Profile
    • GameHacking.org
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 12:48 AM »
8MB == 64Mb

The rom I had was only 2 days older then the rom in that torrent.  It does have a different hash, and they seem quite different.  They both boot in MESS.

To humor you, I'll work on getting the version you have to work.

Offline Chilly Willy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 01:18 AM »
Polo Solo had a couple different versions - the difference is the languages supported by the cart. They needed different carts for all the languages to keep the rom from getting too big. At one point, they thought about one image with all the languages, but then they got too many languages and the number of lines got too big.

Offline rimsky82

• Avid Cheater
    • View Profile
    • GameHacking.org
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2013, 05:24 PM »
For anyone interested, I've been posting about this at gamehacking.org.

http://gamehacking.org/vb/threads/7942-Gen-Pier-Solar-and-the-Great-Architects-%28World%29-%28En-Fr-De%29-%28Rev-A%29-%28Unl%29

There was already a thread for some cheats for this game, so I decided to document my progress there.  If I ever find out what's hanging the rom on the M-ED, I'll post the result here.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 05:26 PM by rimsky82 »

Offline AugustusMojarro

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2014, 12:36 PM »
Hey guys!
As you might know - Pier solar panels - the 64Mbit RPG that came out for Genny/MD two years ago has finally been dumped and is playable under MESS.
I have tried running it in Mega Everdrive, but it wouldn't get past the trademark screen - like the bad dump before it.

Any idea of how to get it to work?

(the rom is a little hard to find on teh internets - try Piratebay)

No idea.. Were you able to run the game? I have tried many a times but it did not worked at all.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 07:37 AM by AugustusMojarro »

Offline thx1138

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2014, 10:47 AM »
any news on this , just look the game up would like to play it

Offline butfluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2014, 01:35 PM »
i think the game has some sort of protection and it seems like the game is still being sold. maybe thats why nobody has attempted to crack it yet or why krikzz has not figured a way to to add game support to mega everdrive OS (if it's even possible that is) maybe things will change in the future when the game is not for sale anymore and piracy is not an issue.
 seems to be more and more non free homebrew games being developed and they are quite expensive aswell. some get dumped (battle kid 2 on nes for example) but not all.
 i like the look of study hall for nes which just came out but thats another non free one. tbh i wish there was an option to just purchase the roms because i don't want to start accumulating lot's of carts these days. everything loaded onto sd card with an n8 is way better.
 there is an option to purchase scared line rom for the megadrive but i did not see any paypal link and didn't know how secure the payment would be and that put me off tbh :(

Offline DBloke

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2014, 02:36 PM »
I have had the demo of it running on my Everdrive MD
Takes ages for it to load

Problem is it trys to pack in to much detail to the point it hurts my eyes
TNOG.ORG - Games nights in Manchester - https://www.youtube.com/user/Darkprinny

Offline phoenixdownita

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2014, 01:48 AM »
Krikzz at a point said explicitly he would not support it as it is still being sold.
His point is that people (the developers) are making money out of it so no piracy, for older title that are no longer for sale and are almost out of copyrights there really is no issue ... I think.

Offline butfluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2014, 03:09 AM »
Krikzz at a point said explicitly he would not support it as it is still being sold.
His point is that people (the developers) are making money out of it so no piracy, for older title that are no longer for sale and are almost out of copyrights there really is no issue ... I think.

problem is that a lot of games which are supported by flashcarts are being sold right now in one form or another. some on psn network, xbox live, lots being sold on nintendo's virtual console store and also various compilation disks like sonics greatest megadrive hits or whatever it's called so maybe one could argue whats the difference?
 i guess all those classic games made money from sales the first time around all those years ago and i for one am glad that flashcarts allow us to play such titles but the arguement still remains.
 there seems to be an increasing trend in homebrew titles being released for sale rather than free fun downloads and they are fairly expensive. i remember when homebrew games were free and fun to try out someones creation. maybe the games that are being sold these days are more complex than some old school homebrew titles and more like retail games and thats why. sturmwind for dreamcast is a good example of this point.

Offline Chilly Willy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2014, 02:30 AM »
problem is that a lot of games which are supported by flashcarts are being sold right now in one form or another. some on psn network, xbox live, lots being sold on nintendo's virtual console store and also various compilation disks like sonics greatest megadrive hits or whatever it's called so maybe one could argue whats the difference?

The difference is that the original devs aren't making money, huge soulless mega-corps are. We don't give a DAMN if Microsoft or Sony can't squeeze yet another $20 off their poor customers for a 20 year-old game. We DO give a damn if a developer of a NEW game can make money for their hard work.

Offline butfluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2014, 07:47 PM »

The difference is that the original devs aren't making money, huge soulless mega-corps are. We don't give a DAMN if Microsoft or Sony can't squeeze yet another $20 off their poor customers for a 20 year-old game. We DO give a damn if a developer of a NEW game can make money for their hard work.

thats what i was thinking tbh. they are greedy corporations, i don't see why they don't offer clasic old games as free downloads as a bonus for people that support the latest console, instead they charge £8 for resident evil or £5 for wonderboy and so on, it's just downright greed.
 the other factor with homebrew games being for sale rather than free downloads is the overall professional quality of the game. some seem like they may be worth the expense and others maybe not so.
 i just hope the homebrew thing don't go down the route of hobbyist devs trying to charge for incomplete buggy not so fun games, those types of projects i like to download for free out of curiosity more than anything.