Author Topic: TBED v2.5 Graphic Glitches on RGB modded PCE - Finding a good MicroSD  (Read 9611 times)

Offline mallet

• View Profile
I got funky issues with my card deleting the OS.PCE file, and there was a 1.7GB file in the TBED folder...

My card 15/03/2016 date on it

Offline gojira54

• View Profile
@senkun
You have eliminated the following in your testing as they are not present or you have tried various with standard hucards working OK;
RGB mod
Region mod
PSU
Peripheral connected to ext bus

So that leaves;
Everdrive
MSD card

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I would say that I have have had no issues with a 2.4 TBED in various set ups, with the exception of SGX - when I use in SGX the console crashes consistently, I get no fault with original hucards, SCD attached or SSDS3 tho which suggests to me TBED incompatibility or insertion error...

Offline NeoMK

• View Profile
The seller I used have ensured me that there is no region mod on the PCE. So, it just has the RGB mod/amp and jailbar fix. Just finding out if the 'timvile' capacitor fix was done for this.

So its either:

Jailbar fix
RGB Amp Mod
TBED compatibility

I am doubting SD card due to feedback though I have a few more to testing and a new PSU on its way.

With the insertion issue, I could perhaps hold the card the maximum distance forward in the slot, but it naturally sits in the click position which should be fine if it was tested. I'll do a bit more testing here.

Offline NeoMK

• View Profile
I have now tested the TFW8B 9V 1.5A PSU and also additional MicroSD cards (SanDisk Edge 8Gb Class 4, SanDisk Ultra A1 16GB Class 10) but still the same crashing results. I therefore believe its definately nothing to do with power draw issues (PSU) or SD cards. I also do not suspect insertion issues as the only place the card is detected is 'at rest' in the default click position of the MicroSD slot holder.

Based on the other posts in this forum link, it draws to the conclusion of being the TBED itself, or an incompatibility with the RGB Mod or Amp (though I am assured by the my seller that the mod is isolated from the hucard slot and the amp draw is negligible. Both might be the case, but it still could be incompatible with the TBED.

Question:
Does anyone know for certain if the fiddle_se Ext Bus RGB cables are fully compatible with the TBED? Would any internal mod have to be taken out of the PCE unit before the cable could be used, or could the internal RGB mod simply be ignored? I can see there are other more expensive Ext Bus options (the SD Super System 3 for example which is ridiculously expensive), but most are no longer available and I like the look of the 'fiddle_se' option.

Anyone know if these issues about be fixed by a revised OS.PCE update or further TBED revision? One for Krikzz?

Thanks,
NeoMK

Offline SamIAm

• View Profile
Sure, without the cd-rom2 unit it should become just a glorified bulky composite AV out attachment. That's how I was testing my stock white PCE unit, as it only has RF out.

Then again, even with the cd unit attached, it should be dormant and not drawing any power unless there's a system card inserted.

I don't know enough about how the IFU unit works but find it strange that using TBED on a core unit attached to the IFU causes these insane graphical glitches.

The IFU contains all of the save-RAM, which is active even if the CD-ROM isn't attached. I don't know exactly what's going on at the connector, but the PCE is definitely not spitting out AV signals only.

Offline FeverDrive

• Blast Processing advocate
    • View Profile
Also, I know the Roms are fine. I have Mednafen on the PC and if I drag the 1943 Kai (or Darius Alpha) rom from the MicroSD card to the icon to run the emulator, the game loads from the MicroSD perfectly. So, its not the Roms - unless it does not like the naming convention?

The fact the roms play fine on emulators doesn't mean they are 100% compatible with the TurboED.
When I first got my TurboED the roms I had didn't work... I had to re-download them from other sources until they worked.
I suggest downloading the games from a different source.
WELCO
METOT
HENEX
TLEVEL

Offline NeoMK

• View Profile
I have tried a few roms now including the GoodPCE pack which contains several versions of the same game, but no improvement. There is still a great deal of inconsistency with the graphic glitches. I have never had Out Run running yet with out glitches, but the Galaga games always work. 1 in 20 times, 1943 Kai would work etc. Menus are always a problem.

I can also confirm that I don't think there is any insertion issues as I found no difference with small 1mm adjustments.

Sorry newbie questions.
Can the TBED be updated? Are firmware updates possible? Is this via a new version of the OS.PCE or by some other means?

I am thinking whether v2.5 could be further improved, or whether my only option is now to go for the fiddle_se cable?

Offline SmokeMonster

• Puzzle Bobbler
  • tsst tchh chh ch ch ch
    • View Profile
    • SmokeMonster YouTube Channel
GoodPCE is garbage for TED. Find No-Intro.

Offline NeoMK

• View Profile
Looks like I was using the No-Intro set originally - checked a fresh download. So, No-Intro or GoodPCE set, it does not matter. Same issues persist.