Author Topic: Feature to pick and start random ROM  (Read 3453 times)

Offline crabfists

• View Profile
Feature to pick and start random ROM
« on: September 06, 2016, 08:32 PM »
Is there any plan to add a "pick a random ROM and load it" feature to the SuperEverdrive? I noticed there is a similar feature for the GBA Everdrive.
:)

Offline 4i0n

• Ascended Master Blaster
  • "...pressing START since 1988!"
    • View Profile
    • 4i0n.com
Re: Feature to pick and start random ROM
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2016, 06:39 AM »
I too second this notion, it would be nice to be able to write little shell scripts, possibly in C or even ASM if available, maybe XML to create playlist folders that picks a random rom from a designated txt file, using a numbered list.

Just a thought... I love my Super Everdrive and would truly like to customize and automate it's UX.

Offline 4i0n

• Ascended Master Blaster
  • "...pressing START since 1988!"
    • View Profile
    • 4i0n.com
Re: Feature to pick and start random ROM
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 10:03 AM »
I too second this notion, it would be nice to be able to write little shell scripts, possibly in C or even ASM if available, maybe XML to create playlist folders that picks a random rom from a designated txt file, using a numbered list.

Just a thought... I love my Super Everdrive and would truly like to customize and automate it's UX.

Yes! I am no ASM dev, but I do know my share of code, and from what I understand;

Code: [Select]
LB�������8���ʆ����J�L��"X������������e~���e~��L��;ikApply codes?ApplyCancelModifyGame Genie CodesPress B+Dpad to change^^ijklqrstopabcduvwxefghmnFlash patching...Settings reset to defaultPress any keydisk init...fat init...spedsaveMalloc Overflow!DO NOT TURN OFF THE SYSTEM!----------------------------ROM type: HIROMLOROMokDUNGEON MASTERTOP GEAR 3000PLANETS CHAMPPILOTWINGSErase...Write..usb...Flash erase...Flash Write....smc.sfc.binSave SRAM... 0xLoad SRAM... 0xDSP1B   BINDSP2    BINDSP3    BINDSP4    BINDSP1    BINDSP     RBFThere are no filesOKERROR:0x**SD card not foundSD IO errorFAT system not foundFAT errorFolder not found:/SPED/Folder not found:/SPED/SAVE/File is too bigDSP firmware not foundRequired DSP dumps:DSP1B.BIN,DSP1.BIN,DSP2.BIN,DSP3.BIN,DSP4.BINPut these files to SPED folderFPGA firmware not foundUnexpected errorMain MenuOptionsCheatsDevice InfoAboutOFF  DSP1BDSP2 DSP3 DSP4 DSP1 OptionsMap Mode: %%%%%ROM Size: %%%%%RAM Size: %%%%%RAM:      %%%%%DSP:      %%%%%Reset:    %%%%%Sorting:  %%%%%HIROMLOROM??256K 512K 1M   2M   4M   8M  ??2K   4K   8K   16K  32K ??OFF  ON  ??OFF  ON  ??OFF  ON  ??System InformationCPLD Version:  OS Version:   PPU Type:NTSCPAL vAssembly Date:..Assembly Time:::Super EverDrive V2Developed by I. GolubovskiySupport:biokrik@gmail.comhttp://krikzz.comControl:LEFT/RIGHT - switch pageSTART - reload last gameB - file menuA - backSELECT - main menuSN:RC:Offset: --------------------------------File MenuLoad And StartLoad OnlyHex ViewFile MenuLoad CheatsHex ViewFile MenuCancelCopy File To SRAMCopy SRAM To FileHex ViewFile MenuROM file must be unzipped.txt.zip.srm .smc.sfc.fig

the presence of this snippet was excerpted from the current OS.SMC binary, which amongst many lines of machine code, are strings that may or may not be able to be altered/"hacked." It depends on how the FPGA handles it's bootloader protocols, if there is a checksum that occurs prior to loading the OS, then I see altering any information via a external resource editor to be futile. On the other hand, if there was a way to inject some form of an abstraction layer, a rudimentary framework can be conceptualized.

In order to enhance any UX, it starts by allowing the user/customer/player to feel a stronger connection to their device. This is achieved in various ways, for instance; customization or at the very least personalization of the UI, device to user inquiry (ratings, playlists, macros, file command), extendability with other devices (*Everdrive Commander - I way to change an assortment of preferences [font colors, activity logs (for checking cumulative playtime etc), profile management for friends and/or children, box art (highly doubt this one)] and a selection of tools to maintain their carts via the USB port).

Once again let me be clear, I have no idea what FPGAs are capable of, especially the ones used on the EverDrives (the Super Everdrive particularly in this case), but after seeing what was being done by a user called saturnu and another called parasyte for the ED64, there is the natural assumption that something remotely similar is possible.

*Does not exist, although one can imagine/dream.[/font]