Author Topic: NES N8 with CopyNES  (Read 6834 times)

Offline rimsky82

• Avid Cheater
    • View Profile
    • GameHacking.org
NES N8 with CopyNES
« on: May 30, 2013, 06:45 PM »
I got my NES N8 in the mail today.  I cut the hole in the clear shell I got from retrousb, put in my loaded sd card, and put it in my working original NES.  I got the light purple screen of death, and in addition to that the LED lights on the N8 do not light up.  I tried the cic recalibration thing anyway, but nothing happens.  I tried my original Karate Champ cart, works fine.  I tried with and without the sd card, but the board just appears to be dead.  Is there anything else that might be the problem, or should I look to get it replaced?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 05:33 PM by rimsky82 »

Offline Troyus

• View Profile
Re: NES N8 DOA?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 02:57 AM »
Is it upside down?

Clean/ check ur console pins. Just cause a game works don't mean a everdrive will

It is a nes console right?
Flash carts: game gear ED, megadrive ED, SNES ED, nintendo64 ED, N8 ED, GB ED, GBA ED, PSIO

Offline rimsky82

• Avid Cheater
    • View Profile
    • GameHacking.org
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 04:25 AM »
I don't believe it's upside-down.  It only fits in the cartridge shell a certain way, and all of the surface-mount chips and sd card are facing down when in the unit.  Yes, it's an original NES, with a replaced 72-pin cart connector.

I should mention that my NES does have a copyNES board in it, but I can't see how that would interfere.  I suppose I should test it in another NES just in case.

Offline flashaholic

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 04:31 AM »
What brand SD card are you using?

I tried using a Kingston in my N64 Everdrive and it didn't work at all until I used a Sandisk. No problems now.  Seems some types/brands of SD cards will cause problems.

Offline rimsky82

• Avid Cheater
    • View Profile
    • GameHacking.org
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2013, 05:43 AM »
It's a GSkill microSD Card.  I use the same card in my other everdrives.

After messing with it a bit more tonight, I believe the CopyNES board is interfering.  So in case anybody is wondering, even though I rarely hear of anybody with a copyNES, it seems the everdrive is incompatible with it.

I'm going to try to get ahold of somebody with a standard NES tonight to test it, just to make sure.

Offline flashaholic

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2013, 01:05 PM »
Just keep in mind that because an SD card works on other types of Everdrives, it might not work on all.

I know this first hand because the Kingston SD card that didn't work at all in my Everdrive 64 actually worked fine in my Mega Everdrive cart.

Offline rimsky82

• Avid Cheater
    • View Profile
    • GameHacking.org
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2013, 03:27 PM »
Huh, I will keep that in mind, thanks.

I took out my CopyNES board to see if that would work, but nothing worked after that.  I think it has to do with a cap replacement needed during the installation.  The way the board works is, if you leave the usb unplugged, the NES is supposed to operate normally.  If the usb is plugged in, then the system stays in a constant state of reset (solid red led) until you start controlling the board with the software.

When I put the everdrive in, it stays in reset mode as if the usb is plugged in, whether it is or not.  If I have it plugged in, the software doesn't recognize the board, so I can't tell it to run the cart.  I almost got it to work by starting the NES with Karate Champ, letting the software reset the board, then switching the game with the everdrive.  An LED in the ED came on, but I got a SD init error.

So, I'm pretty sure the ED is just incompatible with the CopyNES.  I'm going to get ahold of a normal NES today to test that theory.  Hopefully the conflicting voltages didn't burn out any of the ICs in the ED.

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2013, 04:16 PM »
probably copynes and edn8 maps registers, or something else, at same area

Offline rimsky82

• Avid Cheater
    • View Profile
    • GameHacking.org
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2013, 07:01 PM »
I have confirmed that my NES N8 works fine, and that it is incompatible with a system with the CopyNES installed.  No harm, no foul.

I just played some Tecmo Bowl 2013 Preseason, and it's great.  The Powerpak RAM cart I have for the CopyNES doesn't support TSB's mapper, so I'm ecstatic for the Everdrive!  Thanks Krikzz!