Author Topic: [RESOLVED] SD2SNES reads but doesn't write anymore  (Read 3996 times)

Offline supersign

• View Profile
[RESOLVED] SD2SNES reads but doesn't write anymore
« on: June 21, 2018, 05:29 AM »
13 September 2018 Update: My cartridge has returned from repairs and now works again! Thank you all guys so much.♡

So I got My SD2SNES (Rev.H) back in November 2017 from the Krikzz store and it worked perfectly with v0.1.7e; reading, writing and all...but recently this month it seems to only able to read my saves but not writing them. And my 'Recent games' list is frozen, so I deleted the lastgame.cfg file and after playing a game it now just shows nothing but '?' all the way down. I also tried resetting back to the menu to save but it didn't work.

I tried running the diagnostic test but it did not save a log file. (it can't write, see? ^^) I got the Red-to-green screen as expected and when the test finished, the green LED light was quite dim? Is there any other way to check its condition?

I use a 32GB SDHC Sandisk Ultra class 10 card with the lock off and I did format the card with the SD card formatter from sdcard(dot)org. My computer read & write the card no problem.

I tried another SD card and it either works with only reading the saves or just shows "No SD Card found!". More-or-less the same.

Maybe the slot is faulty and it doesn't seem to hold the SD card down enough sometimes? Is there a way to fix the spring?

The built-in clock works ok.

Tested both on my NTSC SNES with the Sega MD1 PSU & my PAL SNES with the OEM PSU and the issue's still there.

I also tried the GSU-v10 firmware and...no luck. (The GSU though works great, btw)

Any ideas? If the worst comes to the worst, It's likely that I'll have to send my SD2SNES back to you guys to see what the issue is and hopefully it can be fixed or replaced.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 04:29 AM by superbite »

Offline FeverDrive

• Blast Processing advocate
    • View Profile
Re: SD2SNES reads but doesn't write anymore
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2018, 07:22 AM »
Have you tried cleaning the cartridge contacts?
WELCO
METOT
HENEX
TLEVEL

Offline supersign

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2018, 01:36 PM »
Contacts are perfectly fine.

Offline ikari_01

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2018, 03:47 PM »
I can think of two scenarios:

1. The contact between the SD card slot's Write Protect pin and the microcontroller is broken.
2. The cards' LOCK sliders have loosened and slide into the LOCK position when inserted into the slot.

Given that you are also getting card detection errors with one of the cards it looks more like a contact problem, not only with the Write Protect pin but also with the Card Detect pin.
The two pins on the SD card slot are located at its right edge, see the attachments for general location and the routing of the PCB traces to check. The pins are named in the second attachment - WP = Write Protect; DT = Card Detect.

Offline supersign

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2018, 06:08 PM »
I would say scenario 1. My SD card is new from last December and therefore the lock slider is quite tight.
So do you think it's doable enough to have it fixed at my local computer shop if it's just a SD contact issue or is it a more complicated issue?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 05:23 PM by superbite »

Offline ikari_01

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2018, 09:52 AM »
Not sure how good computer shops are at soldering these days but might be worth a shot. Maybe ask them first if they feel confident about it. ;)

Offline supersign

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2018, 03:38 PM »
Ok, I'll give that a shot then. Change of plan; I think I'll contact the Krikzz Store instead.

Thank you Ikari!

Update 11/Sep/2018: My SD2SNES is on its way back from repairs, hopefully It'll be here this week.

See 1st post for new update.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 04:37 AM by superbite »