Author Topic: Transfer Pak  (Read 1908 times)

Offline jspinto

• View Profile
Transfer Pak
« on: June 11, 2021, 03:54 AM »
Hi, am very new to the everdrives and have some questions that I couldn't find help online.

So, from my understanding seems that neither of the EDGB (x3,x5,x7) works with the transfer pak because of the way they flash the rom (it will go inevitable to the menu?). My question is how this is not a problem for using the super Gameboy, and would be possible (at least in theory) to make it work (maybe running some custom code in the ed64?) or is a hard no.

The other thing is that, only the original EDGB was compatible with the transfer pak (+ you need the ed64 and modify the transfer). Since this is not longer available anywhere (or at least I couldn't find it) would a clone also be compatible? In particular these two cards are sold locally (I already have a ed64 and a transfer pak) :

1:

2:

any help is appreciated.

Offline Galron

• View Profile
Re: Transfer Pak
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2021, 05:52 AM »
Oh I have original EDGB in my collection. Tell me more about transfer pack 'hack'?

Offline Localhorst86

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2021, 09:39 AM »
Oh I have original EDGB in my collection. Tell me more about transfer pack 'hack'?
http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=1780.0

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2021, 07:41 PM »
So, from my understanding seems that neither of the EDGB (x3,x5,x7) works with the transfer pak because of the way they flash the rom (it will go inevitable to the menu?). My question is how this is not a problem for using the super Gameboy, and would be possible (at least in theory) to make it work (maybe running some custom code in the ed64?) or is a hard no.
The Super Gameboy contains the real Gameboy hardware (minus LCD, speaker and buttons), and it works just like a normal Gameboy but with a SNES ROM and some hardware that takes care of the interacting with the SNES hardware and video output.
The Gameboy Player works like this too but on the Gamecube. It contains the real GBA hardware (minus LCD, speaker and buttons).

The Transfer Pak on the other hand is no Gameboy, it's just a device that can read and write to the SRAM and read the ROM off the Gameboy cartridge. The Pokemon Stadium games allows you to play the Pokemon games on your N64, but this is just emulation. It dumps the ROM and SRAM and runs it in an emulator on the N64 hardware, not on any kind of real Gameboy hardware.
So obviously there is no way it could read the ROM from the Everdrives since they don't have any (not that can be programmed with a valid ROM image anyway). The Everdrives has RAM or FLASH that you load a game to from the menu. It probably can't be fixed without a redesign of the Everdrive's hardware.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 07:49 PM by nuu »

Offline jspinto

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2021, 09:20 PM »
Thanks a lot,
you must be right, but still there something that I am not sure. At some point the supergb has to know that is running a specific game (to read the borders) instead of just the kernel. If we could replicate the same with the n64 (arrive to the point were the edgb  = gameboy game) then it should work, but since we do not have the gb hardware in the tp we cant do it?

What if we try to run a gb emulator that boots to the edgb menu, select a game, quit the emulator, and then run the n64 game?

Offline saturnu

• ヽ(^o^)丿
    • View Profile
    • :D
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2021, 09:53 AM »
the idea passing "emulated" commands to the data lines of the cartridge is what the edgb loader app does - but it's flawed.
i think you can't really write to a specific register, think of the transfer pak more like a sd-card reader - like nuu pointed out.

you can read and write in 32byte blocks, so if certain registers are near to each other, you may write to both of them with one command.
in the end - it all depends on the way the state machine is written on the edgb x-series side.

but i might be wrong, the edgb loader app is based on reversed engineering of some n64 roms and some snippets found on the internet.
in the last years new leaked source code of the sdk appeard, maybe there is a way to command the tp to write only a specific part of the 32byte block to an address?
it's a bit ugly 'cause you have to communicate with the pif to let the tp send commands to the gb-cartridge - but maybe it's worth looking into that. yadayada.. :>

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2021, 10:38 AM »
The libgbpak tool also didn't work for me. I tried to backup the SRAM for Pocket Camera and Pokemon and both gave corrupt SRAM dumps.

you must be right, but still there something that I am not sure. At some point the supergb has to know that is running a specific game (to read the borders) instead of just the kernel.
The Everdrives uses the hardware reset pin to reset the system after loading a game so that the correct border from the game is loaded. Since the game is already loaded into the ROM memory at this point, and the ROM memory isn't cleared when just resetting without cutting the power, the game boots up on the SGB and the border and color data loads.

What the Everdrives needs is a bootable FLASHROM that can be programmed with a game so that it can act like a real cartridge. That would take care of all Transfer Pak and other linking problems that may exist. The GBA flashcart Omega Defenitive Edition and some Neo Geo flashcarts has this feature by removing the SD card or enabling a special mode. This fixes GBA-GC linking and GBA-DS linking which both has the same problem the Transfer Pak has. On the Neo Geo it's more for preventing the player from changing the game himself on an arcade cabinet I think, or maybe for booting into service menus with the game.

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2021, 08:35 PM »
If there was an EZ-flash Jr Definitive Addition that added 'rumble' (there over a dozen games with built in rumble, and the cartridges are generally big and bulky, so a miniturized cart would be great), NOR mode (for Transfer Pak linking), maybe a few more added features not in the x7, it would be total buy for me...

Maybe add 'half-size cart'  and extra GBA casing (like Omega series and other earlier Ezflash products that offered two size cases) so that it fits in a GBA sized cart, so it doesn't stick out on GBA,....
« Last Edit: June 15, 2021, 05:09 AM by Galron »

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2021, 10:09 AM »
No thanks to a half-sized EDGB. You wouldn't be able to push it out once inserted since the cartridge slot is made for a full-sized cartridge. Even making it a little bit shorter would just make it harder to push out. Gameboy carts has a grove for placing the thumb in when pushing it out, and this space must be adequately large.

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2021, 05:07 AM »
No thanks to a half-sized EDGB. You wouldn't be able to push it out once inserted since the cartridge slot is made for a full-sized cartridge. Even making it a little bit shorter would just make it harder to push out. Gameboy carts has a grove for placing the thumb in when pushing it out, and this space must be adequately large.

Half sized cart option would only be for GBA (with a similar shape to a GBA cart), one would be stupid to try to fit it into a GB or GBC....

Also it should be 'optional' alternate case like what was done with EZFlash Omega, and earlier. Although in that case it was a choice between GBA or DS Lite sized slots. Yes one would be stupid if they tried to fit DS Lite size anything into a GBA or DS Phat size slot....

It's something I've seen people speculate about from time to time, though there are potential hurdles to get over.....

https://gbatemp.net/threads/is-there-a-gb-gbc-flash-card-in-a-gba-cart-shell.582484/
« Last Edit: June 15, 2021, 05:12 AM by Galron »

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2021, 09:51 AM »
Oh it's like the DS Lite dustcover shell option that my M3 Lite GBA/DS flashcart had. I seldom used it as I wanted to be able to play GBA games on a GBA, and it required some screwing to change shells. The DS Lite dustcover shell is foolproof, you simply can't insert it in a GBA by mistake due to a tab on the side. To make a GBA-sized GB/GBC flashcart foolproof it would need to have the GBA shell with the protruding part which prevents it from fitting in a DMG/GBC and is also used for pushing it out with the thumbs, and have the width of a DMG cartridge so that it hits the GBC mode switch properly when inserting it into a GBA.

Lack of room for the required level shifters is a concern though, as GBC mode operates in 5V while many of the flashcart parts are 3.3V only. Only GBA flashcarts can do without level shifters as GBA mode operates in 3.3V.

It's still a no thanks for me as I prefer to play DMG games on my SGB2, but I understand that some people wants this.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2021, 09:55 AM by nuu »

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2021, 03:24 PM »
Ya, the dust cover option.

Personally I'm thinking of getting one of the regular Omega's (with the DS Lite dust cover) for use in my DS Lite, will probably use my oversized GBA X5 for use in my Gameboy Player, and the Omega Definitive Edition (which is a size 'inbetween') for most uses (GBA AGS-101 and other GBA in my collection).

I have several options for my Super Gameboy, between original Everdrive GB, and ED X7, as well as FPGA method on the SD2SNES Pro/FXPak Pro, etc... But I'd definitely buy a 'slim' option if it existed for carrying around for my GBA AGS-101, or other GBA's in my collection. It would be so much easier to carry around since it wouldn't stick out, or at least stick out as much (if they were forced to use Boktai or Yoshi's Topsy Turvy form factor).

Offline Richardragon87

• SNESAdvance Revival Coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2021, 10:07 PM »

Personally I'm thinking of getting one of the regular Omega's (with the DS Lite dust cover) for use in my DS Lite, will probably use my oversized GBA X5 for use in my Gameboy Player, and the Omega Definitive Edition (which is a size 'inbetween') for most uses (GBA AGS-101 and other GBA in my collection).

I have several options for my Super Gameboy, between original Everdrive GB, and ED X7, as well as FPGA method on the SD2SNES Pro/FXPak Pro, etc... But I'd definitely buy a 'slim' option if it existed for carrying around for my GBA AGS-101, or other GBA's in my collection. It would be so much easier to carry around since it wouldn't stick out, or at least stick out as much (if they were forced to use Boktai or Yoshi's Topsy Turvy form factor).

If they went with the Yoshi Topsy Turvy method on the GB Everdrive their would be no way to pull out the cart in the Super Gameboy also it wouldn't reach the pin connectors as it would need to be twice the length if it was a mini one.
[quote Random dating spambotJ

Post changed:

Great, the photo didn't load! Does anyone know how to fix this?
In any case, my other photos can be viewed here, I will be glad to meet you, I love flirt))

P.S Richardragon87! Don't write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2021, 04:51 AM »

If they went with the Yoshi Topsy Turvy method on the GB Everdrive their would be no way to pull out the cart in the Super Gameboy also it wouldn't reach the pin connectors as it would need to be twice the length if it was a mini one.

You are perhaps a little slow on the uptake, but as pointed out earlier people asking for this option on EZFlash don't want it for Super Gameboy, or old gameboys. They want a card option that fits more snugly in their GBA, GBA-SP, or Gameboy Player... Like the half DS-Lite size Dustcover GBA flashcarts fits snugly into DS-Lite without sticking out (see Omega, EZFlash IV lite, or EzFlash 3in1, etc)....

For those wanting the same card but to fit in a regular gameboy slot then it should have a regular sized case as well for older DMG/Pocket/Light/Color and super gameboy...

It's sort of similar to amount of people even on these forums asking for a GBA Everdrive X5 that's got dual-mode option of both GBA and classic gameboy on the 'same cartridge' via some kind of switching mechanism, but want it so they can have something that's 'slim fitting' with the GBA line, and only having to carry one cartridge around, that's also better than the terrible goomba emulation.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/ez-flash-iv-lite-review.36216/

« Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 08:06 AM by Galron »

Offline Richardragon87

• SNESAdvance Revival Coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2021, 03:35 PM »
You are perhaps a little slow on the uptake, but as pointed out earlier people asking for this option on EZFlash don't want it for Super Gameboy, or old gameboys. They want a card option that fits more snugly in their GBA, GBA-SP, or Gameboy Player... Like the half DS-Lite size Dustcover GBA flashcarts fits snugly into DS-Lite without sticking out (see Omega, EZFlash IV lite, or EzFlash 3in1, etc)....

For those wanting the same card but to fit in a regular gameboy slot then it should have a regular sized case as well for older DMG/Pocket/Light/Color and super gameboy...

It's sort of similar to amount of people even on these forums asking for a GBA Everdrive X5 that's got dual-mode option of both GBA and classic gameboy on the 'same cartridge' via some kind of switching mechanism, but want it so they can have something that's 'slim fitting' with the GBA line, and only having to carry one cartridge around, that's also better than the terrible goomba emulation.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/ez-flash-iv-lite-review.36216/

You know what... I used to be against getting a X5 GBA everdrive due to the reason it could never work on a SGB device I mean at the time the GB everdrive was great to play on your TV on your regular SNES you would have all boarders and stuff, could add as many hacks as possible to play through the hardest games or make your directories and play them on your own T.V screen. Even with the ability of the GBA Everdrive playing all sorts of formats via emulation the only reason why I got it was as it played SNES roms other than than I really haven't used it for anything else to this day.
[quote Random dating spambotJ

Post changed:

Great, the photo didn't load! Does anyone know how to fix this?
In any case, my other photos can be viewed here, I will be glad to meet you, I love flirt))

P.S Richardragon87! Don't write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!