Author Topic: Reset to main menu w/ 32X and MS functionality  (Read 2953 times)

Offline tjstogy

• View Profile
Reset to main menu w/ 32X and MS functionality
« on: February 23, 2018, 07:28 AM »
As some of you probably know:

- With the 32X plugged in, you cannot play Master System games.
and
- You cannot reset to the main menu (via the controller) when playing 32x or master system games

There are fixes for this:

1. It's possible to mod your 32X to accept Master System games: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?28550-Technical-Explanation-for-Power-Base-Converter-not-working-on-the-32X&p=687032&viewfull=1#post687032

and

2. Mod your Genesis with an IGR (reset with a button combination). This will bring you back to the main menu of the everdrive with the 32X attached.
Borti's: https://github.com/borti4938/Switchless-Mods/blob/master/Sega/MegaDrive_IGR/md_igr_simple.asm
MegaDrivePlus: https://github.com/SukkoPera/MegaDrivePlusPlus/wiki/Installation

With these two mods, you should be able to play all genesis, 32x, and master system games from your everdrive-- while also being able to reset back to the main menu with the controller.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 12:38 AM by tjstogy »

Offline Marteicos

• View Profile
Re: Reset to main menu w/ 32X and MS functionality
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 09:10 AM »
You can reset to menu when playing 32x Games, using the reset button you can.

When playing Master System games without a 32x connected, the reset button returns to the menu too.

Of course that you need the option "reset to menu" enabled or else the reset button will only soft reset the game.

The igr mod operates the console hard reset button through a controller button combo. The Mega Everdrive does the same when you reset from a Master System game or 32x game. With Standard genesis the system soft reset to menu.

The mod to run Master System games don't work reliably. The Master system game will only run in a couple model 2 genesis and fails on all model 1 consoles. Some games don't load or have graphical glitches.

Also, when playing 32x games or Homebrews, it is advisable to disable the Megakey option as some games fails with it enabled.

The only thing that worked fine was reconnecting the Dtack signal to the 32x cart conector, this made Virtua Racing for Mega Drive works with 32x.

Offline tjstogy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2018, 12:40 AM »
You can reset to menu when playing 32x Games, using the reset button you can.

When playing Master System games without a 32x connected, the reset button returns to the menu too.
The mod to run Master System games don't work reliably. The Master system game will only run in a couple model 2 genesis and fails on all model 1 consoles. Some games don't load or have graphical glitches.

Whoops- I meant reset from the controller to go back to the main menu. Not "the reset button doesn't work". I edited my verbiage a bit.

And as you mentioned, I read that it only works on the Model 2-- but wanted to post the possibilities in case someone smarter than me is up for investigating this mod with other versions.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 12:41 AM by tjstogy »

Offline Marteicos

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2018, 03:13 AM »
I tried tapping other pins directly from Mega Drive and didn't had any success, almost damaged my 32x permanently. Not worth the risk in my opinion. Something on 32x circuitry messes up with signaling needed for Master System mode to work properly.

Even the Mega Everdrive isn't fully compatible withaster System mode. Some games fail to load.