Author Topic: Yakouchuu II N64 Translation  (Read 5174 times)

Offline ozidual

• View Profile
Yakouchuu II N64 Translation
« on: October 01, 2020, 05:55 PM »
Translator: whowasphone

-------

I'll just put this right... over... here! 

A translator approached me a couple months back to do some translation work on Yakouchuu II, so we worked together to sort out the alphabet.  There are over 3300 letters in this alphabet that I prepped, took screenshots of, passed on to the translator, he identified and threw into a spreadsheet.  With that I pulled an initial text dump and passed it on to him.  While he worked on that, I identified some command characters for future reference.

That was the end of it for a while for me.  Half of August and almost all of September was crazy busy between work and family.  Just last night I finally carved out some time to take a look at it.  More on that in the first post.

Like me, the translator has other projects including N64 manual translations and walkthroughs.  You can see his work here:

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/community/whowasphone404/contributions/faqs

In fact, he's already done some initial translation work on Yakouchuu II's manual and a walkthrough. If you're at all curious about what Yakouchuu II is about you can read the back of the box in the manual translation in the above link.  For the rest of you, simplistically it's a mystery visual novel set aboard a ship.

In some ways, Yakouchuu II is the reason I started working with Gaming Alexandria to scan in high quality scans of gaming stuff.  I wanted to share how amazing the box art and manual for Yakouchuu II looked with everyone

but my first attempts on my own looked horrible.  Trying to scan in black, glossy pages leads to a gray, crinkly mess.  The above image was after getting a better scanner (not too expensive) and a scanning target to help with color matching.  Between that and the text challenge (see first post), I've wanted to translate this game for a while.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2020, 06:47 AM by ozidual »
Projects: Zelda OoT GCtoN64, Doshin the Giant, SSSV, Sim City 64, Getter Love, Shiren
Flash Carts: EverDrive64 2.5, EverDrive N8, SD2SNES

Offline ozidual

• View Profile
Re: Yakouchuu II N64 Translation
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2020, 05:55 PM »
With most games, my first challenge after doing a text dump is figuring out a VWF, but not with this game.  You may have seen a little bit here or there about Yakouchuu II.  It's the game where the text is written top to bottom from right to left onto the screen.

So that was my first challenge.  But it didn't turn out to be too bad.  I got it sorted out in a couple hours.

Not without some hiccups along the way :)

Aww... I didn't capture that one.  I had the text going from left to right, but bottom to top.  Ah well.  Use your imagination :)

That's where we are today.  Shiren 2 is still my primary focus, and I currently have at least 4 semi-active translation projects going right now.  It's a long process, but the first few steps have been taken!
Projects: Zelda OoT GCtoN64, Doshin the Giant, SSSV, Sim City 64, Getter Love, Shiren

Offline JoDark00

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2020, 11:33 PM »
Really looking forward to this, and you did/are doing a tremendous job on the Shiren patches.

Trying to curb my curiosity and avoid watching too many spoiler-filled Yakouchuu videos in the meantime, please keep us posted!

Offline rlstine

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2020, 11:48 PM »
This is so cool! I've tinkered with playing the japanese rom but there's no way to know what's going on. Can't wait to try this out.

Offline IRL Random Hajile

• Bounty Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2020, 02:06 AM »
Neato! Been curious about this game in the past when I was randomly browsing some Japanese exclusive N64 titles. Tried it out before untranslated, but wasn't able to get far due to the language barrier, but even so, the game is quite intriguing. Love to be able to play through a fully translated ROM when the time comes!
"BH75001, Random Hajile... that's
R-A-N-D-O-M H-A-J-I-L-E."

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2020, 12:41 PM »
This is awesome, I'd love to play it...

ANyone plan to translate the recently leaked gameboy color version?

Offline whowasphone

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2020, 07:41 AM »
Thanks for making this thread Ozidual!

I'm the translator working on the project. I'm really into horror games, especially Japanese ones so I hope I can deliver a scary translation! I run a horror channel on youtube about Japanese ghost stories, so a lot of that vocabulary will come in useful I expect!

As Ozidual said I have many translation projects on the go. I hope by translating game manuals that many other games can become playable without the need for translation patches. At the very least it is great to learn more information about many of these games which were never even previewed in English magazines back in the day.

Anyone plan to translate the recently leaked gameboy color version?

I can't promise anything, but I am very interested in playing and translating more of these sound novel horror games. There are so many!
Dark Japan - Ghost stories, urban legends and untold horror....
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCh7TaAmKURxhk3cxQbTa6zQ

Offline Akagi

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2021, 08:25 AM »
Hey, I was wondering if anything has happened with this project in the last few months.

I've taught myself Japanese over the last few years and I love fan translation projects. The N64 is my all-time favourite system and I was finally able to play through this game and understand all of it in its original Japanese, and I had an absolute blast.

I see that this game already has a designated translator, but even so, I would love to offer my time to assist in the translation. I work as a proofreader (of English texts) so I know I could help out with the task of making a translated Japanese text sound 'better' in English (a huge challenge in Japanese-English translation).

Either way, I would love to see a text dump of this game. If you could send me this, I would hugely appreciate it.

Cheers

Offline ozidual

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2021, 09:52 PM »
Hey, I was wondering if anything has happened with this project in the last few months.

I've taught myself Japanese over the last few years and I love fan translation projects. The N64 is my all-time favourite system and I was finally able to play through this game and understand all of it in its original Japanese, and I had an absolute blast.

I see that this game already has a designated translator, but even so, I would love to offer my time to assist in the translation. I work as a proofreader (of English texts) so I know I could help out with the task of making a translated Japanese text sound 'better' in English (a huge challenge in Japanese-English translation).

Either way, I would love to see a text dump of this game. If you could send me this, I would hugely appreciate it.

Cheers

I appreciate the offer, but I think we're good for now.  I'll definitely let you know if anything changes though!

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2021, 03:31 PM »
Akagi, I've sent you a PM, please have a look when you have the time.

Offline conker

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2021, 11:32 AM »
One of the few visual novels for the N64 is getting translated? Great news hopefully will be a good work. You have my support

Offline Akagi

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2021, 03:56 PM »
I just thought I'd share what I already made for this game, translation wise. I transcribed all of the game's text from the opening sequence, (everything up until the opening credits) translated it, and placed it in the HTML file I've attached.

It took a long time, so I'm really not motivated to transcribe and translate any more than this lol.

BUT I wanted to share this to give people a taste of what kind of game this is, sitting there untranslated, one that could be enjoyed by all N64 enthusiasts.

We all like to try and find 'hidden gems' for consoles, but let's be real, the N64 doesn't have too many. It just doesn't have that deep of a library of Japanese exclusives like other consoles. That said, I feel like Yakouchuu II is one of those 'hidden gems'. It has a genuinely interesting story, a totally unique feel, and takes only a little over an hour to beat and enjoy to its fullest.

I've attached my English translation of the opening sequence, and I hope someone enjoys reading it. I believe it would make for a good 'proof of concept' for an English translation patch. It's free for anyone to use.

Cheers
« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 03:25 AM by Akagi »

Offline whowasphone

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2021, 10:39 AM »
Sorry for the lack of updates.

As you can see from my Gamefaqs contributions page I have been doing a lot of other translation work on the N64 library. I have translated 21 manuals for Japan exclusive N64 games. These translations were made possible because Ozidual kindly scanned and uploaded the manuals to archive dot org. I have also also written several other translation guides for other N64 Japanese exclusive games. My hope is that people will be able to try and play the more obscure games on the system without requiring a whole translation patch for each game.

Which is to say that the translation of this game has not progressed much. I was somewhat overwhelmed by checking the whole text dump for incorrect kanji. Now that I have finished writing guides for most of the Japan exclusives, I intend to get back to working on this game.

Thank you for posting your translation Akagi! I also taught myself Japanese over a number of years, so I know how hard it is. You have my respect! Your translation is really excellent. I think there would be many hackers out there who would be thrilled to work with you on untranslated games. You are clearly very passionate about this game. If we need any more help you will be the first person we ask!

Offline whowasphone

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2021, 10:36 AM »
Update 1

Screens Translated 183 / 2330

First Draft 7.8%

I made a separate copy of the text dump and began removing the markers that the game uses to control screen transitions and the text scrolling. This made it much easier to read the text. At the end I will have to insert the text back in between all those markers which will take some time, but it can't be helped.

I have been trying to translate at least 10 screens a day, and it is going well. I will keep updating this thread at least once a month. But if people would like weekly posts, I could probably do that too.

As you may be able to tell by my posts I am British. I am trying to split the difference between American and British English. But that may be difficult at points. Please don't worry, only one Monty Python reference has slipped into the text so far. This is just my personal opinion, but the way Japanese people tend to beat about the bush and talk formally most of the time seems to suit British English better than American English.

The creatures that feature in the game's title, appear in the text as well. For this reason I have tentatively gone with the translation of Mareel. This is a word derived from Old Norse which means Sea Fire. The previous game in the series also had the same title, and also took place on a boat I believe. The word Mareel scans better in the text than a long scientific word like Noctiluca scintillans. I think it sounds strange for our teenage protagonist to suddenly pull out such a specific word. I think Mareel also sounds a bit strange and gross, which fits the horror theme better than "Sea Sparkle".

Despite my best efforts, quite a number of incorrect kanji slipped into the text dump. Some of them are so similar to the correct kanji it is almost impossible to see the difference in the game's font. See if you can tell these apart! The kanji on the right are the correct ones!

頜   頷
吞   呑
曈   瞳
瘦   痩
摇   揺
網   綱
類   頬
騷   騒
搔   掻

In the next post I want to talk about the difficulties of translating a parrot's dialog.

James

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2021, 03:33 AM »
Great stuff... WIshes there were someone who could get aroudn to translating the Visual NOvels on the GBA too! Was sorting through the no intro set for japanese games found like 10-20 different visual novels for the system altogether! I think only Silent Hill, LOve Hina, and Ace Attorney 3 have fan translations... and Riviera had an official release.