Author Topic: Import .fla save file to PJ64 from Everdrive64  (Read 428 times)

Offline blitz

• View Profile
Import .fla save file to PJ64 from Everdrive64
« on: April 11, 2021, 11:18 AM »
I got an Everdrive64 X7 in which I've been playing Pokemon Stadium for a few months now. It works perfectly, but I wanted to use some non-rental Pokemon from GB Roms that I have on my computer (with the help of Project64's N-Rage Plugin which emulates a Transfer Pak from a PC file, place the 'Mons on the 64 Box, save the game, pass the save file back to ED64 and keep playing there).

I connected my ED64 SD Card in my PC, went into ED64/save and copied the Pokemon Stadium .fla file into the Project 64 save folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\Project64 2.3\Save), only changing the name of the file to the one Project 64 uses as the extension is .fla in both. I made sure PJ64 is reading the saves from that folder and even created a dummy save file which indeed was a .fla file called "POKEMON STADIUM.fla", the same name I unsuccessfully used. :'(

I have tried saturnu's Save Swap to see if I could "back swap" ED64 -> PJ64, but to no avail. Can anyone help me understand what am I doing wrong or if this is even possible at all?

See attached my save file for reproducibility purposes, the ROM I can't upload it for size reasons. It's listed in PJ64 as "Pokemon Stadium (U) (V1.0)". (IMPORTANT: I'm using the same ROM on both the ED64 and PJ64).

Offline nuu

• View Profile
Re: Import .fla save file to PJ64 from Everdrive64
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2021, 12:08 PM »
Possible things you do wrong:

1. The .fla save file you uploaded is 128kB but it's filled with 0xAA. It seems there is no monster data in it.

2. The .fla save file you uploaded doesn't have the same name as the ROM you say you used. Did you really use the same name on both files?

3. Why would you "back swap" ED64 -> PJ64 for? I thought you want to transfer the PJ64 file to your ED64? You would need to swap PJ64 -> ED64.

4. You seem to use goodn64 ROMs instead of the recommended no-intro ROMs.

Offline blitz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2021, 03:33 AM »
Hey, just to clarify some things: I wanted to transfer first the PJ64 to ED64 (this is easily achieved using saturnu's tool) and then transfer back that file to my PJ64, to use my own rental pokemon at PKMN Stadium.

I managed to solve the problem so I will post it here for further help. I did changed the name for the .fla file I uploaded because in PJ64 the save file name is "POKEMON STADIUM", while in ED64 is the name of the ROM I used, in this case "Pokemon Stadium (U) [!]".

The first thing I did is use the SaveSwap to do word-swap and byte-swap (don't know if the latter is necessary, but I did it anyways).

As you see in the file I uploaded, the size of the save is 128 kB which is appropiate for ED64 but not for PJ64. I did a dummy save file on the emulator and I found that the file size must be around 126 kB for it to be read, so I downloaded HxD Hex editor and opened both files and manually erased the later bytes on the heavier file (128 kB) to match the lighter one (I believe for Pokemon Stadium is the row 0001F870 the last one to be filled with data).

After that I saved and verified the size of the one I manipulated matched the dummy, I opened on PJ64 and my progress from ED64 was reflected there. That way I used N-Rage to register my GB Pokemon and clear the Cups EASILY.

It's a really complicated and rather long method, so if you know how to do this automatically or in a more simple fashion, please comment it here.

Also,
Possible things you do wrong:

1. The .fla save file you uploaded is 128kB but it's filled with 0xAA. It seems there is no monster data in it.

2. The .fla save file you uploaded doesn't have the same name as the ROM you say you used. Did you really use the same name on both files?

3. Why would you "back swap" ED64 -> PJ64 for? I thought you want to transfer the PJ64 file to your ED64? You would need to swap PJ64 -> ED64.

4. You seem to use goodn64 ROMs instead of the recommended no-intro ROMs.

I didn't understand what monster data is nor what's the difference between goodn64 and no-intro ROMs. I just got a pack with multiple N64 ROMs.

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2021, 12:21 PM »
Pocket monster data, the data of the monsters from the game that you put in there. :) I checked again and this time I did find that the data was there, sorry about that.

No-intro is a ROM dumping group. Your ROMs seems to come from the old goodset which contains many badly dumped and mislabeled ROMs, so the no-intro romset is usually recommended. Since you got it to work it might not matter, but it's good to have in mind. Sometimes they are even mislabeled as [!] although they are really bad.

You are right that PJ64 seems to trim the save files. I thought Saturnu's tool would take care of the differences but apparently not. If you are skilled in a programming language you could make a tool, or at least write a batch/bash script that automates the process for you for Pokemon Stadium save files.