Author Topic: Test programs for your ED64  (Read 2095 times)

Offline skankcore

• View Profile
Test programs for your ED64
« on: August 23, 2020, 10:26 PM »
I recently got an Everdrive 64 2.5 and I'm beyond happy with it. I thought I would share a couple test apps that I had been looking forward to using ever since I ordered it. They can be found by Google searching and digging through years old posts and dead links, so here is a convenient zip file with both of them, confirmed working on my ED64 2.5. Contained within are:

240p Test Suite Alpha - This is a super limited port of the famous 240p Test Suite, but it has the essentials for testing your CRT. Flicker test, grid, and color tests are all working just fine. It's too bad the project has been seemingly dropped by the author long ago but it was very helpful in adjusting my CRT geometry with confidence!

Controller Test - This is the N64 Controller test made by sanni for NEO Retro Coding Compo 2012. I had modded one of my terribly loose analog sticks with a round plastic piece drilled, cut, and molded around the ball of the stick to fix and tighten it with fantastic results. I was curious to see how it fared in the controller test and it's not bad at all. Almost as good as my other like new analog stick, which gets numbers only +/- 3 of an original new one.

Hopefully this will come in handy for some of you, enjoy! Link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_lj9wTS6Qw1b162Nepdlt4AYNTJ3i08l/view?usp=sharing

Online Kerr Avon

• View Profile
Re: Test programs for your ED64
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2020, 02:14 PM »
Thanks for these, mate.

Offline rlstine

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2020, 04:12 PM »
Thank you! I had no idea know these programs existed, and they will be very useful.

Offline supersign

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2020, 05:45 PM »
Alternatively, the test suite can also be found from the author's tweet.

The controller test rom can also be found at Sanni's Github.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 12:27 PM by supersign »

Offline supersign

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2020, 12:22 PM »
I apologize for my previous message if people took it the wrong way. I don't know what I was thinking there. I did share the other links in case if google drive goes off for maintenance or something. I'll try to be careful next time, ok?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 12:31 PM by supersign »

Online Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2020, 03:20 PM »
Skankcore, I'm quite certain that Supersign didn't mean to imply anything bad, and I can't see how you could infer otherwise from his post. This is a friendly forum (mainly because it's a forum for fans of a game console that's a quarter of a century old, which means that there aren't many active posters, and also that we tend to be old enough that we don't have the in-your-face-and-trying-to-look-big childish attitude that pollutes forums based around newer machines), and if Supersign had been deliberately offensive to you then it's quite likely that others members would have posted responses pulling him up about it.

Please keep on posting things of interest if you don't see them already posted here, as we're always interested to see new (either genuinely new, or just new to us) N64 related news, items, hacks, etc. Unfortunately, there is no central Internet site for N64 related stuff, so often things related to the N64 get released on the 'net and most of us never find out about it.

Offline skankcore

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2020, 02:34 AM »
You’re right, I definitely took it as dismissive when that wasn’t the intent, deleted my message, no worries.

Offline Shadow_Zero

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2021, 12:05 PM »
So I'm fiddling with the 240p test suite now, can someone enlighten me what this message means exactly:
"The Nintendo 64 system can not display the full 320x240 information drawn into the frame buffer. As a result, several pixels are never shown on screen. This is completely normal, and official games have this same behaviour. As such it is recommended you don't use these tests for multi console setups, but they work perfectly fine for Nintendo 64."

In a multi console setup (NES through Wii + PS2 in my case), which console would be best to use the 240p test suite then??

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2021, 12:06 PM »
Like it says the maximum video resolution that the N64 can generate is smaller than 320x240 pixels, so if you adjust your TV using the N64 version of the test suite it might not be ideal on other consoles with a larger resolution.

Either the Gamecube or Wii should be fine for a more global setup, as they are more flexible in their resolutions. The PC Engine is also very flexible but it can't do interlaced which is needed for some of the tests. I think the Megadrive and Playstation should all be able to do the full 320x240 and can also do interlaced so I think they should be fine in most cases. SNES might also work as I think it can do 320x239 in a high-res mode, and also interlace. If you want to be sure you should probably run them all after adjusting the TV to make sure that all consoles works fine with it.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2021, 12:08 PM by nuu »

Offline Shadow_Zero

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2021, 05:18 PM »
Thanks!
How does it work for N64 exactly then? The wiki page states the resolution is 320x240:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_64

...?

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2021, 12:11 PM »
I don't know but I assume those are not exact numbers of its exact resolution. And 640x480 is most likely interlaced (480i) as the N64 can't do 480p like the Dreamcast, Gamecube and PS2 can, so it's no different from the SNES' interlaced mode. 240p and 480i is the same resolution timing-wise and the only thing a normal 15kHz SDTV accepts.
I just remembered that the NTSC Megadrives also can't do the full 240p, as they only do 320x224. Only the PAL Megadrive can do the full 320x240.