Author Topic: An uncensored version of Conker's Bad Fur Day has been released!  (Read 1836 times)

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
An uncensored version of Conker's Bad Fur Day is finally available! Quite a few people have wanted this, over the years, so this should please some people greatly.

If you've not played CBFD, then it's an 'adult' game that's mostly very juvenile, but a lot of fun. It's really mostly a 3D platform game, with some third person shooting, and very simple problem solving. What makes it stand out, though is the quality and originality of the game. The humour is often really good (it's by far the funniest non-adventure* game that I've ever played), the scenes and enemies are really inventive and well designed, the gameplay is often really entertaining, and the multiplayer modes are varied and mostly extremely enjoyable to play, whether you play them alone (against the really good computer controlled bots) or against a friend or two. And it has probably the best graphics and sound of any game on the Nintendo 64.

On the minus side, some of the jokes just aren't funny (at least to me), a few of the scenes (an area where you must perform a certain gameplay mechanic) are dull or irritating, and the shooting mechanics in parts of the single player campaign really could have done with some streamlining (they can be finicky) before the game's release. But overall it's a fantastic game, both single player and in the multiplayer modes, and every N64 fan should give it a go. And now you can play it with the censorship removed, if you like, so you can hear all of the swearing.

Personally I prefer the swearing to be censored, as that helps it  feel more 'cartoonish' somehow. But it's your choice.

Read more about it here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Roms/comments/or8at1/conkers_bad_fur_day_uncensored_finally_dumped/

Offline SG333gg

• View Profile
I find it hilarious that the original sound files where not censored with a cut or edit, but simply played a noise over them.

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
I find it hilarious that the original sound files where not censored with a cut or edit, but simply played a noise over them.

Yes, I doubt it occurred to anyone that Rare had done it this way. I can only assume that the reason Rare did it this way, instead of taking the easier route of pre-censoring the audio files, was that they had intended to add a cheat whereby you could unlock a 'swearing' mode'.  Most likely Nintendo then forced them to remove the swearing mode as Nintendo want to be seen as family friendly and inoffensive.

Offline Goemon

• View Profile
are the voice lines really uncut? I think I have read somewhere that the uncut parts were rerecorded by the hacker?
Could be wrong of course.

Offline SG333gg

• View Profile
are the voice lines really uncut? I think I have read somewhere that the uncut parts were rerecorded by the hacker?

Nope, it was by the voice actors, seems rare really tried to push a uncensored game and its on every cart.

Offline Cyberlink420

• View Profile
I've actually read that same rumor, but I've never gotten a concrete answer one way or the other. I suppose the only way to be sure is if someone else hacked in and extracted the audio files themselves to verify.

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
It's a pity ConkerGuru no longer posts here, as he/she would be the person to ask about the sound files on the cartridge. I wonder what happened to ConkerGuru anyway? He/she wrote some very interesting posts, made some great hacks for CBFD, then just stopped posting here, for some reason.

Offline BolinCaker

• View Profile
    • CakerBaby
Re: An uncensored version of Conker's Bad Fur Day has been released!
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2021, 07:34 AM »
That's awesome!

Offline markrjones1970

• Ex-Ocean Software staff member&original N64 owner
    • View Profile
    • Ocean Software Facebook page
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2021, 11:11 AM »
I tried this on a real N64 via my Everdrive and there's a lot of flickering backgrounds evident. Is there a specific setting I need to set to avoid this?
Mark R. Jones

Offline SG333gg

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2021, 12:03 AM »
I tried this on a real N64 via my Everdrive and there's a lot of flickering backgrounds evident. Is there a specific setting I need to set to avoid this?

I havn't ran into any issues like that yet, but so far ive just gotten to meet the cheese rat.

Offline markrjones1970

• Ex-Ocean Software staff member&original N64 owner
    • View Profile
    • Ocean Software Facebook page
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2021, 09:30 PM »

I havn't ran into any issues like that yet, but so far ive just gotten to meet the cheese rat.

I was experiencing it as soon as the game started.
Mark R. Jones

Offline jonesalmighty

• View Profile
    • GitHub
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2021, 11:40 PM »
Bear in mind that this is an NTSC ROM, and PAL consoles might have issues... I have not had issues with the sound or flickering on my NTSC console (yet), but still need to try it on my (main) pal console!

Of note... I think I prefer the semi censored version... it seems to add more (childhood) atmosphere... I have also just heard the idle conker playing a gameboy game, and totally forgot about that (rofl)!
« Last Edit: August 24, 2021, 12:27 AM by jonesalmighty »
Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth...