Author Topic: Can't get Mega Everdrive X7 to boot on 32x, various color screens  (Read 4122 times)

Offline MOfoSlayer

• View Profile
Hello,

I'm looking for any assistance with getting my Mega Everdrive X7 (OS 3.13 on Sandisk microSD card, purchased from Stone Age Gamer in December 2018) to boot on my 32x.

My Genesis is a Model 2 VA 1 with a Triple Bypass Board installed. My Sega CD is a Model 2 (metal plate/clips installed).

My 32x is MK-84000A. The sub board is VA0 and the main board is VA1. I have the spacer (always used) and metal clips. All the jumper wires seem to be connected but I primarily focused on the orange wire and resistor going to the cart port. Some pictures of the 32x can be seen at https://imgur.com/a/vUzQfbK

I'm using MK-2103 power supplies for the Genesis and 32x and a MK-1602 for the CD. The passthrough video cable is one of the aftermarket 8 pin ones.

I have gone through all the forum posts I could find online and still haven't had any luck. I've removed both ends of both white ribbon cables and reconnected them at least 5 times and have cleaned them at least 3. I have removed the bottom casing and cleaned the contacts going to the Genesis, the contacts in the Genesis cart slot and the contacts in the 32x cart slot.

Genesis games play fine on the 32x, the Sega CD BIOS boots with no cart inserted with the 32x connected, and the Everdrive is fine on the Genesis with or without the CD. I picked up a copy of Virtua Racing Deluxe just to see if the 32x works at all with 32x games. Virtua Racing Deluxe does boot and play but I've noticed I get a black screen after the "Produced by or under License from Sega" screen on the first power up sometimes if the power has been disconnected for a little bit. The game will then work after turning the Genesis off and on without touching the cart at all (cart might just be dirty or maybe cap/power issue?). Virtua Racing Deluxe was purchased after the cleaning described below.

When initially testing the Everdrive I was usually getting a black screen or red screen (CD connected). I got the "Produced by or under License from Sega" screen 2 or 3 times but haven't seen it with the 32x since. At the time I was using the metal clips on the Genesis cartridge slot covers but have removed them since due to having to remove the 32x so much for cleaning and checking cartridge contact.

After the first few cleanings and playing the with the ribbon cables I started getting the various colored screens. I've seen red, green, purple, blue, cyan, white, black, and black with extreme gray waves with the CD connected. I have never seen the colors change it's always one single colored screen when powering on. I continued cleaning and messing with the cables and at this point with the CD disconnected I'm getting mostly a black screen, sometimes white/gray, blue, or cyan screen, or very rarely a purple screen. With the CD connected I'm just getting a black screen or maybe a white screen when I jiggle the Everdrive (just saw yellow once). I've also never seen the "OS Init" message on any of these screens. The Everdrive cart still works normally in the Genesis (rotates red, green, and blue screens a few times and boots to the menu). Virtua Racing Deluxe still works fine in the 32x.

I'm kind of out of ideas at this point. Are the metal clips or top shield cover of the 32x being removed (coil is very noisy with shield) having any effect? Is it a power supply issue (no change when swapping the MK-2103's around)? Is it a capacitor issue or the passthrough cable causing the Everdrive to not get enough power? Is it something with the ribbon cables? Something else I'm not considering? Or do my 32x and Everdrive just hate each other?

I appreciate any help. Thank you.

Offline Marteicos

• View Profile
Re: Can't get Mega Everdrive X7 to boot on 32x, various color screens
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2020, 03:39 AM »
Insert the ribbon cables fully and try again.
The Everdrives needs a good connection on the 32x ribbon cable to work properly.

Virtua Racing Deluxe is not the best game to test. Different games behave differently.

Cosmic Carnage for example, if something is wrong the game starts fine but crashes on the character select screen.

Offline MOfoSlayer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2020, 07:02 AM »
Cleaned the cables and re-connected them a few more times on both ends but no dice. I've also swapped the cables around at this time. Got a red screen once, and a garbled yellow screen once, but mostly black or black with some slight waves. Will continue trying.

Offline Marteicos

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2020, 03:39 PM »
It is only guaranteed to work on unmodified consoles and cables.

I'm starting to blame that aftermarket 32x cable. You only need the ground, audio left, audio right, audio mono, c-sync, red, green and blue pins connected.

Any extra can cause issues.
The bypass itself maybe will not cause issues.
Can you test on another console to test this?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 03:41 PM by Marteicos »

Offline RetroRGB

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2020, 05:25 PM »
I have the same issue sometimes, but the problem follows the 32x.  Said differently, if my x7 works with a 32x, it'll work on any Genesis I connect it to. 

If the x7 has issues with one 32x, it won't work on anything - That 32x won't work on original & unmodded consoles, triple bypass'd consoles, whatever. 

I'm trying to figure out exactly what the issue is, but my gut's telling me there's a hardware issue with certain 32x revisions.  I'll keep looking.

Offline MOfoSlayer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2020, 12:12 AM »
I feel like it's down to certain 32x revisions as well. All the jumper wires seemed ok when I continuity tested them, assuming they were hooked up right in the factory. I've seen a post or 2 online where it seems people have had Everdrive problems with certain 32x's but not others (but that could be for a multitude of reasons in itself). I bought the MK-84000A hoping it'd be the better choice.

I only have an additional Genesis for testing and it's a Model 2 VA 0. I've tried it a few times and it's mostly the same thing, Virtua Racing Deluxe works, Everdrive gives a black screen.

I just bought caps from Digikey to do the video noise fix that got posted the other day because the noise out of the 32x is pretty bad right now and stays consistent after each ribbon cable re-seating. Seeing the Sega Service Manual stuff has me questioning how troublesome this could be to pinpoint with how much was wrong with these boards.

I also have a full recap kit on the way just to try something else for the Everdrive.

This is the patch cable I've been using: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sega-Genesis-32X-link-patch-cable-for-model-2-system-NEW-USA-seller-8-PIN-GOLD/172904126463

I was using a HDRetrovision cable for Component but I've recently started to use a cheap composite, mono cable now because I don't want to wear out the Component cable.

I may try re-seating the ribbon cables a few more times but they are starting to get weaker and I don't want to wear or loosen the connectors either. Would Cosmic Carnage be the best cheap 32x game to get for testing?

Thanks again for any help.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 12:15 AM by MOfoSlayer »

Offline MOfoSlayer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2020, 05:49 PM »
I have about a week or so to return the 32x still on eBay. Wondering if I should just do that at this point and get a VA0/MK-84000?

Offline RetroRGB

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2020, 06:19 PM »
I'm sorry, but I still don't have a solution.  I gave my problematic 32x to a friend and it worked for him.  I'd assume the issue was somehow my fault, but I've tested across many consoles, with different PSU's, different video cables, etc.  Heck, I even tested on the Mega Sg + DAC and neither 32x worked.

I hope I can figure out a solution.

Offline Marteicos

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2020, 12:12 PM »
Did your friend used the same aftermarket cable to connect his console to your 32x?

Offline MOfoSlayer

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2020, 07:03 PM »
@Marteicos Has anyone reported any Everdrive issue's with that seller's cable in the past?

@RetroRGB Was that 32x a VA0 or a VA1? Just wondering for curiosity's sake. I'll probably have to get another 32x at this point if I can snag a cheap one on eBay.

It'd be nice if we could gather enough evidence for the developer if this is an issue with some 32x's. Buying another 32x isn't a true solution. The only things stopping me from definitively saying it's an Everdrive issue is that I don't have additional games for testing and I know how finicky the 32x seems to be from reading posts here and elsewhere.

Offline RetroRGB

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2020, 04:35 PM »
All my 32x's are with someone who can help diagnose and repair at the moment.  We're all pretty busy lately, but if there's any progress or diagnosis, I'll let you know. 

Also, the aftermarket cable shouldn't matter*, as the 32x can power up without a video cable at all.  You can even just plug video into the Genesis only and boot a 32x game - It's actually pretty cool to see which layers of a game the Genesis creates, vs which layers the 32x creates.

*shouldn't matter unless it has a short, of course.  And yes, I did test with no cable plugged in just to double check :)

Offline Marteicos

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2020, 12:59 AM »
Recently I connected only the csync pin of the cable connection and using 32x av out, only the 32x layers appears, it is pretty cool.

Disconnect the cables from sub pcb and test where the connections go using the service manual.

I had trouble with games not saving when using the 32x and found a bad contact. Check address lines, then data lines.

Offline MOfoSlayer

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2021, 12:34 AM »
Whew lads, got a Mega Everdrive Pro. It's working first time with the 32x (after I adjusted it a couple times and got Virtua Racing running again, had it all put away since last year). I was able to play Chaotix (froze on title intro first time, but I think that's normal with 32x/CD, need to check again, 32x needs a recap too). What a waste of time and abuse of the ribbon cables. I think I need to adjust the service bulletin/VA1 resistors back to how they were originally soldered when I got the 32x from eBay as well.

This along with what I'm about to post in an N8 thread is kind of proving there were faulty batches of both Mega Everdrives and N8's, or bugs in certain board revisions, or for certain console revisions, etc.

Krikzz if you care I'm trading both my Mega EverDrive X7 and Everdrive N8 into Stone Age. Have them ship to Ukraine.

Offline dplc81

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2021, 05:17 PM »
Maybe an OS update with the CD add-on disabled would solve these 32X issues. I still have the same freezing/gitching issues with my MED Pro.

Offline MOfoSlayer

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2021, 01:00 AM »
I've played the 32x a lot the last few weeks. Don't get me wrong the 32x is a touchy POS between the ribbon cables, and both cartridge connectors. Chaotix will freeze sometimes after playing for a while but I've seen that occur in videos of retail copies. I was able to complete Kolibri. It froze (music still playing) twice after being on for a few hours on the 3rd to last and last level. That I can't tell if it's the Everdrive, the game itself, or the 32x connections. The only other game I've played for a while was Tempo which has been fine.

Once I got the Everdrive working I went on to do the Kevtris video fix and coil replacement mods (you have to get the surface mount ones, the console5 ones are useless, the surface mount one got rid of all the audio hiss from the power line, I'm not smart enough to get into why it works I trust the guys explanation, maybe the caps in both my MK-2103 are bad too idk). I replaced other caps while waiting for the surface mount coil but they made no difference.

I leave my Model 2 Sega CD attached as well.

https://nowab.blogspot.com/2018/06/32x-squeal-fix.html

https://www.arrow.com/en/products/mbh12282c-331map3/murata-manufacturing