Author Topic: Upcomming Everdrives?  (Read 602988 times)

Offline Duo_r

• View Profile
Re: Upcomming Everdrives?
« Reply #630 on: June 23, 2013, 06:22 PM »
We can't backup save data on N64? I am pretty sure I saved my game just fine :-)

Ok I vote for a Gameboy portable flash cart next. I have a GBA but there never was a good solution for original GBA / GBC.

Offline Grambo

• View Profile
« Reply #631 on: June 23, 2013, 07:52 PM »
We already have a new ED64...its called v2 cant get any better than that, krikzz already helps in the production of SD2SNES so... ::)
For example with ED64  we cant backup save data from original cartridges. I want all my time trials records from Mario Kart, Diddy Kong Racing. I want my masks, weapons, hearts from TLOZ Majoras Mask

Save datas are more important than roms. Save datas are time spent

I agree with dvd; Maybe for the 64, it'd be nice to have control pak data backed up automatically like SRAM data is, but that would just be an OS update. There's no need for a new Super ED or ED64.

I am pretty sure I saved my game just fine :-)
Yup.

Offline MockyLock

• View Profile
« Reply #632 on: June 23, 2013, 08:09 PM »
magnus87 should be talking about backup from cartridge save itself, and not only controller pack.
it's a really good suggestion, but maybe not so easy to code/set up.

Offline dvd2vcd

• View Profile
« Reply #633 on: June 23, 2013, 08:14 PM »
For example with ED64  we cant backup save data from original cartridges
well of course you cant, why would anyone wanna do that if they have the original carts anyway, it dont make no sense what so ever..
ED64 v2.5 - MEGAED X7 - TED v2.4 - SD2SNES rev F - EDN8 fami - EDGB X7 rev B

Offline dvd2vcd

• View Profile
« Reply #634 on: June 23, 2013, 08:16 PM »
magnus87 should be talking about backup from cartridge save itself, and not only controller pack.
and how would u stick the original cart to the ED64? i dont think krikzz wud want his ED64 looking like that crappy ED64plus or a myth cart lol dont make sense anyway, if u have original carts then why even bother with ED64  ::)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 08:18 PM by dvd2vcd »

Offline dvd2vcd

• View Profile
« Reply #635 on: June 23, 2013, 08:31 PM »
I have a GBA but there never was a good solution for original GBA
actually there was, ezflash4 is the best so far

Offline MockyLock

• View Profile
« Reply #636 on: June 23, 2013, 08:33 PM »
well of course you cant, why would anyone wanna do that if they have the original carts anyway, it dont make no sense what so ever..
Because save data are due to batteries that can be down. You should know that, and you can find many how-to on internet to change them.
Because many videogame sites offer save sharing for anyone who would try any special option won with a full-game save.
It's not because you don't care about it that nobody won't care too...

Offline reprep

• View Profile
« Reply #637 on: June 23, 2013, 08:36 PM »
none of my flashcards have an option to backup saves from original carts. you generally have to buy additional hardware for it, like "mega memory card" for gb. or there are some cartridge readers which can also backup and rewrite saves to original cartridges and can be connected via usb to pc.

so it is hard (and probably expensive too) to add this functionality to flash cards.
PM me if you want to sell your Everdrive MD.

Offline dvd2vcd

• View Profile
« Reply #638 on: June 23, 2013, 08:37 PM »
Because many videogame sites offer save sharing for anyone who would try any special option won with a full-game save.
yes ppl upload saves which they did while playing games on a emulator or a flash device, backing up sram from originals aint never gonna happen i cant see krikzz ever considering another revision because of it, you may have to look elsewhere, if you care about it so much im sure there is expensive equipment you can buy so u can share ur saves over the internet LOL nuff sed about it now its ridiculous  :o
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 08:54 PM by dvd2vcd »

Offline butfluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #639 on: June 23, 2013, 09:00 PM »
you can backup some save types if you have an old style copier and the right software. there was a program for the doctor v64 which allows you to backup 4k eeprom which is most common cart type save from cart to mempak. then of course with ed64 you can backup saves from mempak to sd card, i think the function only backs up complete mempak images though not individual save files. this program could be used on other copiers also.
 there was another tool for the cd64 only which allowed you to backup all cart save types (4k eeprom, 16k eeprom, 32k sram and 1m flashram). while linking the cd64 to your pac you transfered the saves that way. i think this tool may have been compatible with the old doctor v64 jnr flashcarts aswell.
 all this is kinda irrelevant unless you already have an old copier because even when you track one down these backup units can be kinda expensive these days. but yes with the right hardware it can be done. i have never seen a cartridge reader like reprep mentioned for the n64 though, would be an handy gadget that. luckily enough i never had many original n64 carts. i had a doctor v64 copier from the beginning.

Offline Grambo

• View Profile
« Reply #640 on: June 23, 2013, 09:04 PM »

I guess this was where my misunderstanding was. I certainly don't expect any of my Everdrives to backup SRAM from an original cart  ???
I don't blame my screwdriver when I can't tighten a hex bolt with it. I get another tool.

Man, we're a demanding bunch, lol.
Krikzz, can you make the next Everdrive end world hunger please? Thanks.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 09:10 PM by Grambo »

Offline MockyLock

• View Profile
« Reply #641 on: June 23, 2013, 09:08 PM »
yes ppl upload saves which they did while playing games on a emulator or a flash device, backing up sram from originals aint never gonna happen i cant see krikzz ever considering another revision because of it, you may have to look elsewhere, if you care about it so much im sure there is expensive equipment you can buy so u can share ur saves over the internet LOL nuff sed about it now its ridiculous  :o
I added my post to explain why original cartridge save backup is useful.
ED64 will not have this feature because you can't plug an original cartridge. If you had reply this way to magnus87, i would not have posted anything. But you laughed at him for his suggestion. That was not gentle.
Nor your last post too...

« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 09:09 PM by MockyLock »

Offline reprep

• View Profile
« Reply #642 on: June 23, 2013, 09:14 PM »
i have never seen a cartridge reader like reprep mentioned for the n64 though, would be an handy gadget that.

yup, you are right. i have seen ones for gba,gb,nes,snes but not for N64. we should still be grateful we can backup mempak to sd cart in everdrive 64 as most third party games use mem pak. and if you do enough hex-editing or use some programs i don't know (i never had the need) you can extract individual N64 saves and use them with emulators etc.

for gb, i have succesfully extracted my pokemon yellow save from my original cartridge and used it in a pc gb emulator.
PM me if you want to sell your Everdrive MD.

Offline magnus87

• View Profile
« Reply #643 on: June 23, 2013, 09:49 PM »

Exactly

Offline Grambo

• View Profile
« Reply #644 on: June 23, 2013, 11:38 PM »
My confusion persists.

You can backup, restore, save EEPROM, 4X EEPROM, SRAM, FlashRAM and physical Controller Pak data to/from the SD card with the Everdrive. We are all aware of and on the same page with this, yes?

The Everdrive cannot do any of this with a physical, original, stock N64 cartridge. If the claim is that it should do this, please allow me to disagree. It'd be a waste of resources, money and most importantly, Krikzz's time spent developing.

In no particular order, is the general consensus that the following are logical, desired devices?

GB/GBC Everdrive
GBA Everdrive
Jaguar Everdrive
NeoGeo AES/MVS Everdrive

I would personally buy 3 of these devices upon release.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 11:40 PM by Grambo »