Author Topic: Retron 5 compatibility  (Read 46161 times)

Offline tokumaru

• View Profile
Re: Retron 5 compatibility
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2014, 08:19 AM »
Yeah, you should all forget about Flash carts. The Retron5 just dumps the cart and then runs the ROM in an emulator. After the game is running you can fire at the cart with a machine gun and it won't make a difference because it's not being used anymore.

Flash carts can't be dumped, because the Flash cards themselves must access external memory (SD, Micro SD, CF, whatever) in order to display the list of games and to actually load the games. Flash carts are not passive memory chips that can be read once and forgotten about, they're active pieces of hardware that control extra hardware based on player input. There's no way they'll ever work on the glorified emulator that is the Retron5.

Technically, carts with expansion chips inside like the Super FX for the SNES or the multitude of NES mappers are also supposed to remain active at all times, but since those expansion chips can also be simulated, emulators can get away with it if the people maintaining the emulator have coded the functionality of said chips in the emulator (which is what the Retron5 team appears to be doing for homebrews and such). But you can't possibly simulate an SD card if you don't know its contents, and you can't possibly dump an entire 8GB memory card to the internal memory of the Retron5 and pretend to read it in real time!

Offline copyman

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2014, 05:28 PM »
That is true. I still cant wait it and for it to be hacked. If you got a flash cart it would still be cool just another added feature but it would be a waste of your flash cart you spent good money on. The whole point is to not use emulation.

Offline copyman

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2014, 01:59 AM »
Getting mine tomorrow! So in case anyone is wondering they are shipping.

Offline DBloke

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2014, 03:28 AM »
That is true. I still cant wait it and for it to be hacked. If you got a flash cart it would still be cool just another added feature but it would be a waste of your flash cart you spent good money on. The whole point is to not use emulation.
and thats what the Retron 5 does
TNOG.ORG - Games nights in Manchester - https://www.youtube.com/user/Darkprinny

Offline stonie

• the red eye'd mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2014, 04:16 AM »
you know i just realized you could just get an ouya and softmod that, it runs 1080p and can emulate anything the retron 5 can.
flashcarts- acecard 2i, everdrive md, everdrive n8, cyclo ievolution

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2014, 02:14 PM »
you know i just realized you could just get an ouya and softmod that, it runs 1080p and can emulate anything the retron 5 can.

Or get an original XBox, softmod it (or hard mod it, or buy one that's already modded), put in a larger capacity hard drive, and you can run emulators for just about every 8 and 16 bit console and computer that you can name. The Ouya is more powerful, but a (modded) XBox is cheaper, runs XBox games (even from the hard drive, if it's modded), and has been around for so long that there is a *lot* of information available for it on the 'net. My XBox is my emulation and media machine (using XBMC, a modded XBox is a superb music/movie player (it plays DVDs and avi/mpg/mov/flv/mp4/rm/divx/wmv movie files and mp3/wma music files) and I'm *very* satisfied with it - the only problem is that it can't play Blu-ray discs (of course) or high-def movie files, due to it's hardware limitations.

Offline copyman

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2014, 08:16 PM »
Ive got a xbox all pimped out including coinOps but its still not hdmi and Im not a huge fan of the controllers. Still it is very cool with all the extras like video previews,box art, manuals, guides,ect.
Looks like Im getting my Retron 5 on Monday now. Stupid FedEx lol. Reason why Im excited for Retron 5 is not what it has just now but what it to come. The hacking community Im sure will do all kinds of cool things with it.

Offline Kyle

• Game Genie Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2014, 09:18 PM »
Better than Xbox is modded Wii. You can get 240p over component for CRT and there are NES and SNES to GameCube adapters.

I will probably get a R5 once you can use it to dump roms of carts you own.

Offline Paulweeze

• Video Game Connoisseur
  • Music and Games are good for the soul.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2014, 09:32 PM »
Better than Xbox is modded Wii. You can get 240p over component for CRT and there are NES and SNES to GameCube adapters.

I will probably get a R5 once you can use it to dump roms of carts you own.
Yea modded wii is the bees knees. Its got one of the best overall sega emulators out there (only one that could play Super Mario World 64 for genesis for a long time), built in action replay, ect. It is nice to have both a modded xbox and wii  :). Wonder if it is more practical to just invest in a retrode and hook it up to a designated pc with hd monitor. You could play and dump n64 games as well.
Everdrives I own: ED64, Mega Everdrive, EDGB, EDGG, N8, Master Everdrive

Other Flashcarts: SD2SNES

Offline copyman

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2014, 10:30 PM »
Wii emulation is good but I have one of the newer models so cant hook up a controller. Wireless only and that thing can drive me nuts.Feel like a leech next to me while using classic wii controller. Done a lot of rom injection also. I use my ps3 for emulation mainly because I love the controller.
Retron 5 will solve my small issues and will be hacked for roms. I would bet my soul on it(I dont believe in souls anyways).

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2014, 01:09 AM »
The classic controller is also good though and many times better than Xbox's sorry excuse for a controller.

Offline stonie

• the red eye'd mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2014, 04:50 AM »
ya but i'm talking doing it at 180p, for that you need an ouya, which will emulate N64 as well
flashcarts- acecard 2i, everdrive md, everdrive n8, cyclo ievolution

Offline DBloke

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2014, 05:05 PM »
Or a Android TV box
Using one for my emulation needs
TNOG.ORG - Games nights in Manchester - https://www.youtube.com/user/Darkprinny

Offline copyman

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2014, 10:25 PM »
I would prob do Raspberry Pi over Ouya just because Im cheap. Oh course I got Retron on its way and paid same price at the Ouya. Last I remember the Ouya was $99 anyways.
N64 is the only everdrive I have no way I will ever use a n64 emulator again.

Update: Got the system. cant get any cheats to work and Zelda nes is freezing at times. If you cant even play one of the most popular games then that is pretty bad. Hope they fix that.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 08:24 PM by copyman »

Offline Kyle

• Game Genie Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2014, 04:23 AM »
So it turns out the Retron 5 is most likely based on RetroArch. You might as well just hook up a laptop via HDMI and use a USB to SNES adapter. A user also posted that he got it to play roms in a roundabout way via IPS patches.

http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/showthread.php?52092-looking-for-Retron-5-hack-to-play-Roms&p=773178&viewfull=1#post773178