Author Topic: Chinese SD2SNES Rev. X latest board comparison build on 10/10/2020  (Read 3108 times)

Offline nashismo

• View Profile
So yes guys,

I am uploading the latest SD2SNES I purchased from ALiexpress. It is usually called Rev. X or Pro.

Here it is what I have found out about it:

Actraiser 1 and 2 work perfectly on it
MSU-1 works as intended too.
MSU-1 and SDD1 works in tandem too! (SF Alpha using MSU1 works great)
MSU-1 and SA-1 does NOT work (To be expected as this is a new feature of FXPACKPRO)
S-RTC fails when the tested, and RTC only works while keeping the SNES on, turn it off, it resets.

So mostly the reason why I am starting this topic is to figure out why my SD2SNES is failing on the RTC test, why is not keeping the time. My SD2SNES came with a CR1220 battery as you can see in the picture, but is this the reason why the RTC is failing?

Doesn't an SD2SNES need a crystal oscillator to keep the time? Cause I see no crystal oscilator on the board.

I know this is NOT the forum for these "types" of SD2SNES's, but for me, buying this one was the only choice. And I still hope this infor can be helpful for others.

No matter, if anyone knows a bit about the tech behind the RTC, please let me know! A few weeks ago I did the SGB mod to make it run at the correct speed using a crystal oscilator, so I have skill enough to do a simple mod :)

Thank you all, I would be super happy if someone can comment.

Pics:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/AivGXoHXcji5Hyt57

OK, I will add to this. Now my RTC is working! I don't want to celebrate in advance but it has worked for me today, I just make sure to reset the console before turning it off. For som reason this makes the RTC keep the time while off!!

I remember this as some carts you used to do that for sving games, who knew? I will edit this if this stops working, but so far so good :)

Edit2: I will edit one last time. No, I was wrong, it appears that there was something wrong with the SD card, I fixed the SD card and also deleted all my files on the sd2snes folder, then put new files using Furious firmware. This is what made the RTC work, strange, what could've been? There was clearly something wrong with some files been corrupted on the sd2snes folder.

Is there a file in charge of the RTC? I dont know.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2020, 03:11 AM by nashismo »

Offline nuu

• View Profile
Re: Chinese SD2SNES Rev. X latest board comparison build on 10/10/2020
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2020, 12:54 PM »
Don't put roms (other than the BIOS files) in the OS folder. That is known to cause strange problems.

Offline nashismo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2020, 09:13 PM »
Don't put roms (other than the BIOS files) in the OS folder. That is known to cause strange problems.

I never did that, but I did have problems with corrupted files as I mentiones, fixing the SD card on windows together with replacing all files in the sd2snes folder did the trick ;)

Offline Marteicos

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2021, 05:47 AM »
I've got one of those, RTC never worked no matter what I did.
 I ended up removing the time crystal x402 (32.768Khz) and soldered another that I removed from an old motherboard, now it keeps time, although it gets behind, fixing some minutes after awhile is better than having to adjust it every time.

Offline Ykiam

• View Profile
My RTC works Okay.

Meanwhile Star Ocean crashes in the intro and Street Figher Alpha 2 crashes randomly during the fight.

Interesting that with firmware 1.10.2 Star Ocean worked, but the main characters are invisible.

Offline emuman100

• View Profile
clones of Krikzz's products are not supported here. Stop being cheap and buy the real thing.

Offline athanato

• View Profile
clones of Krikzz's products are not supported here. Stop being cheap and buy the real thing.

How about avoid making false and ignorant statements?
SD2SNES is open source so there is no such thing as an SD2SNES clone, and it's designed by ikari (which is why it's open source unlike krikzz's cart designs).

Offline dreimer

• View Profile
    • Reimi's Blog

SD2SNES is open source so there is no such thing as an SD2SNES clone, and it's designed by ikari (which is why it's open source unlike krikzz's cart designs).

I see no ignorance here and he is very correct with what he says. You joined a forum of a commercial store selling their own made products. And now you wonder that some ppl show loyality to the owner? Don't make me laugh! You get a cheap as f**k bootleg and expect to get support for it? Don't make me laugh even more! For your information regarding the open source claim: SD2SNES Rev. X is not open source as it never was made or released by ikari. It's what it is, cheap dirt under some chinese bootleggers fingernails packed together as "official" product. If you have a problem with us only helping non bootleggers, feel free to leave.

P.S. that You I used is meant to call anyone out who bought crap on a PCB from some wish.com/ebay.com derivate and is now lamenting.

Offline Relikk

• View Profile

Hardware beyond the original Rev. F is not open source. So yes, it is a clone.