Author Topic: Everything and More about the Everdrive 64  (Read 176593 times)

Offline cheaterdragon1

• View Profile
    • Micro-64
Everything and More about the Everdrive 64
« on: February 05, 2014, 03:16 AM »
Hi guys, great news! I just finished my page on the Everdrive 64: http://micro-64.com/features/everdrive64.shtml

The purpose of this page was for it to be the ultimate Everdrive 64 resource providing as much information about the device as possible. It covers what it is, where to buy, how it works, how to set it up, what it's capable of and much more! Everything is written to be as simple to understand as possible. It's very user-friendly.

Let me know what you guys think! If you have any comments, suggestions, or criticism please let me know.

We now have a Facebook group for all N64 fans!

Offline snstay

• View Profile
Re: Everything and More about the Everdrive 64
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 04:36 AM »
Very cool site. I really like it.
Great job!!

Offline dvd2vcd

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 06:23 AM »
nice detailed info! great job sir, i salute you, also the wall paper downloads are very nice :)
ED64 v2.5 - MEGAED X7 - TED v2.4 - SD2SNES rev F - EDN8 fami - EDGB X7 rev B

Offline cheaterdragon1

• View Profile
    • Micro-64
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 07:48 PM »
Thanks for the kind words!

Offline keropi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 10:43 PM »
very nice! kudos!  :)

Offline stunty999

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2014, 11:23 AM »
Nice job! thx for  all the ED64 newbies like me  ::)

Offline gladders

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2014, 01:38 PM »
Awesome stuff!

Offline Tux

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2014, 06:26 PM »
Just a note about DK64, I read somewhere in the forum that EEPROM 16kb support has improved in ED64 and that DK64 (without patches) saving might work correctly now. Has anyone tried it?

Also, it would be nice to mention the Good names of the patches the roms, so manual patching is not necessary.

Offline cheaterdragon1

• View Profile
    • Micro-64
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2014, 02:25 AM »
Just a note about DK64, I read somewhere in the forum that EEPROM 16kb support has improved in ED64 and that DK64 (without patches) saving might work correctly now. Has anyone tried it?

Also, it would be nice to mention the Good names of the patches the roms, so manual patching is not necessary.
Thank you for the feedback.

I do remember Krikzz saying that DK64 might not have problems with OS 2.04. The only issue is that I haven't seen anyone actually confirm this. I don't want to post something that might not possibly be true so I went with the old method that has been confirmed to work. The fact that saving works early on in the game and the problems come later is what scares me with that game. We need people to play through the game and get far to accurately test it. If more information comes forward I will definitely revise that part. I don't mind patching the game, but remembering to choose SRAM everytime is kind of a pain.

As for the patched ROMs, I wasn't too sure about that. More and more hacks these days are coming out and it doesn't hurt to know how to patch ROMs.  :)

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2014, 02:36 PM »
If someone can confirm this I shall update the incompatibility list as well.

I heard that DK64's anti-piracy mechanism deletes your save after you have gotten the first crown. So someone needs to play it at least that far on an unpatched rom on OS 2.04.

Offline Tux

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2014, 02:53 PM »
If someone can confirm this I shall update the incompatibility list as well.

I heard that DK64's anti-piracy mechanism deletes your save after you have gotten the first crown. So someone needs to play it at least that far on an unpatched rom on OS 2.04.

The problem I heard was a glitchy EEPROM 16k implementation, NOT an anti-piracy mechanism.

I experienced this problem in early OS, but the save "corrupted" very far after the first crown.

I am playing the unpatched DK64 in the latest OS, so I will let you know if it corrupts or not. I am playing for the second time, so I don't really care if the save gets erased.

Offline saturnu

• ヽ(^o^)丿
    • View Profile
    • :D
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2014, 02:59 PM »
Hello,
what a long article, that must have been a lot of work ^^
here are a few comments for your guide, as it seems to me you want to write something that is as correct as possible

i think it's more a userguide but it could be worth mentioning that there is the possibility to program for it and to use the sd-card in your own programs. ^^
http://krikzz.com/pub/support/ed64/ED64-IO.zip
there is no documentation but if you like you can download my menu-sources, to learn from it how to use the cartridge saves, the sdram, upload the firmware and use the sd-card...

NES Games
Sure you can download neon64 1.2a from krikzz site, but i recommend you to download neon64 1.2b, 'cause it have some pal issues fixed
-> if you can't see the the screen, C-Up switches to pal
a few days ago 'Eisi' showed up here with another neat neon64 patch http://pastebin.com/xyA9eZwb
http://hcs64.com/files/neon64bu12b.zip
some technical programmer hint... fixing up the checksum in the romheader let's you autostart the game, if not it boots into the neon64 startscreen and the rom could be started with 'A'.

Can I use DexDrive saves with the Everdrive 64?
you can! dexdrive files only have a little extra header (37kb-32kb=5kb) that could be deleted with an hex-editor.
or maybe you can use my old mempak-tool for the everdrive 64 (should work on ed64v1, too)
http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/showthread.php?41396-release-Mempak-Tool-for-the-ED64

btw. savegames!
you can use ucon64 to convert byteswapped savegames from emulators
http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=713.msg7238#msg7238

Games from Other Regions -
I'm having trouble getting NTSC games to work on my PAL Everdrive 64 and PAL TV?
This section is a bit wrong and it's one of the most misunderstood topics on the n64.
The Reality Co-Processor (RCP) sends a digital RGB-Signal to the Digital Analog Converter Chip (DAC).
http://members.optusnet.com.au/eviltim/n64rgb/n64rgb.png
The DAC itself makes a NTSC Signal of it on a NTSC console or a PAL Signal on an PAL console.
So a non-modded PAL N64 only outputs PAL! But here comes the tricky part, the N64-Rom sets the "speed" or how fast the RCP is sending it's digital output to the DAC - so as a result there is a PAL Signal at 50Hz how it should be or with an NTSC-Rom a PAL Signal at 60Hz which you can see as a wrong PAL-Signal.
There a many PAL TV-Sets that are capable of displaying PAL at 60Hz as a kind of compatibility mode. NTSC at 50Hz is a lot more uncommen, so you may expect more issues this way around.
I think. this happens 'cause the color carrier isn't useful any longer. So there are some tricks as using PAL-M (which is a NTSC-Signal with another color carrier) to get a colored picture.
To get rid of that you can modify your N64 to RGB analog out, that is pretty easy on the older US/JP Consoles and the first French ones in the PAL region. If you have a newer console with a MAV-DAC-Chip you will need a replacement DAC.
A second chance is to reconfigure the MAC-DAC to change the output signal corresponding to the speed the RCP is set to.
http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=1213.0

btw. some words about the conversion program paladin could be interesting, too ^^

Offline pcfreak324

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2014, 01:25 PM »
saturnu, I have a few questions regarding neon64:

How can I apply Eisi's patch to neon64 v1.2b when only the source from neon64 v1.2a has been released?

When I load a NES rom using EverDrive, it tells me neon64 v1.2b has "BAD CRC", even though I fixed it with ucon64 using the command "ucon64 --n64 --chk NEON64BU.ROM". Despite this error, neon64 loads the rom directly and plays fine.

Offline saturnu

• ヽ(^o^)丿
    • View Profile
    • :D
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2014, 05:58 PM »
Quote from: ChillyWilly
He seems to have lost the source for 1.2b because he also has a disassembly of 1.2b that he did in 2010. Looking at the disassembly, it's still only setting the VI for NTSC display. The fixes for PAL are with regards to PAL NES roms, not PAL N64s.

How can I apply Eisi's patch to neon64 v1.2b when only the source from neon64 v1.2a has been released?
I think actually the patch is for 1.2a

I can't answer you why it is displaying 'BAD CRC', maybe it has something todo with the everdrive os and how it calcs the chksum

Offline cheaterdragon1

• View Profile
    • Micro-64
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2014, 07:39 PM »
I edited in some of your suggestions saturnu, thanks very much for your input.

Now, I'm currently going through DK64 on a clean, non-patched ROM with the original save method. So far I'm 90 minutes into the game with all the bananas for Diddy and DK in the first level. I also have collected the first crown. My save file is still there so far. I'd like to get further though.