Author Topic: New Neon64 beta released  (Read 7020 times)

Offline CrashOveride

• View Profile
New Neon64 beta released
« on: July 06, 2020, 11:37 PM »
A new beta version of Neon64 has been released by hcs: https://hcs64.com/files/neon64_2_b1.zip

This is a rewrite using the bass assembler and a much better architecture, it achieves 60 FPS on every game I've tried. It isn't complete but it's already far better than 1.x.

I've tried it on my Everdrive 64 v3 and it runs great.

Offline johnson

• View Profile
Re: New Neon64 beta released
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2020, 12:23 AM »
excelent!, so does it also support savestates? like the Visor's

Offline CrashOveride

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2020, 12:36 AM »
Not yet, this is a rewrite from scratch. Saves are supported though

Offline johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2020, 01:11 AM »
ok, thanks  for sharing   :)

Online jonesalmighty

• View Profile
    • GitHub
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2020, 02:30 AM »
Cool. Does it need my os to do savestates etc?
Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth...

Online jonesalmighty

• View Profile
    • GitHub
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2020, 02:32 AM »
I should really read all comments before replying lol... let me know if I can support it further...
Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth...

Offline johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2020, 06:13 AM »

your alternative OS is great, actually I use it with visor's mod of neon64 and works perfect, here it would be something that the author halley's comet  implement savestates to the new neon64 update may be in the future

Offline GiBoss

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2020, 07:14 PM »
https://imgur.com/ZmiFYTG I can't seem to be able to save on the X7. Is there something specific you gotta do?

Offline CrashOveride

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2020, 06:46 AM »
https://imgur.com/ZmiFYTG I can't seem to be able to save on the X7. Is there something specific you gotta do?

He's using SRAM, I'm going to check tommorow if something needs to be added to save_db.txt

Online jonesalmighty

• View Profile
    • GitHub
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2020, 06:00 PM »
Adding to savedb wont help as nes.emu is loaded in a different way to other roms. if the save type has changed from the previous version, it will need krik to add support. It could be tested on the V3 with the stock OS and my OS to see if either of those work (since I changed the savetype on mine to work with the savestate version)...
« Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 06:04 PM by jonesalmighty »

Offline CrashOveride

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2020, 06:31 AM »
Adding to savedb wont help as nes.emu is loaded in a different way to other roms. if the save type has changed from the previous version, it will need krik to add support. It could be tested on the V3 with the stock OS and my OS to see if either of those work (since I changed the savetype on mine to work with the savestate version)...
I asked HCS, here's what he told me:
My original 1.x only saved to the Controller Pak, this doesn't have that support. Instead it uses cart SRAM, because Visor added support for that in Neon64 With Savestates and I use the same format as that (though only for saves, no savestates)

Offline family_brick

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2020, 01:11 AM »
I got around to testing this new build of Neon64 on my V2.5, and I'm impressed.

The old one (the one bundled with the official ED64 firmware) was interesting but the limitation of it not being able to smoothly scroll background layers was difficult to ignore. This version doesn't have that problem at all.

Anyway, inspired by how well a few games seemed to run I tested about 200 titles. Unsurprisingly many Japanese games with advanced mappers were unsupported but I was pleasantly surprised to find that so many other games of personal interest seem to run really well, and I'm pretty happy with the convincing bonus 150-odd NES game library the N64 now has.

A point of comparison I have is with NesterDC (for the Dreamcast). That particular homebrew NES emulator supports a fair few more obscure mappers and a reset-to-menu controller button combination - but the video output scaling options are imprecise and really soft no matter how you try and dial them in. Neon64 doesn't have that problem - it's the proper 240p and looks far more authentic on my CRT via composite than NesterDC can ever via RGB.

Anyway, thank you for shining a light on this. I'll be sure to keep my eyes open for any further updates as this one is already great.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 02:27 AM by family_brick »

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2020, 03:34 PM »
I've never played on a NES, so can I ask what NES games run on the emulator that are really good, please?

Offline family_brick

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2020, 05:58 PM »
Ten random favourites that seem to run well (mostly shooters / action games, with the exception of Konami's Rampart which is really it's own thing):

Guerrilla War
Zanac
Gaplus
Gun Nac
Super Spy Hunter
Final Mission
Rampart (J)
Air Fortress
Neo Heiankyo Alien
Mega Man 3

Online jonesalmighty

• View Profile
    • GitHub
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2020, 01:49 AM »
@crashoveride, Just to cross reference, I am also networkfusion!