Author Topic: About to buy my first Everdrive; anything that I need to know?  (Read 2337 times)

Offline rlstine

• View Profile
Re: About to buy my first Everdrive; anything that I need to know?
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2020, 05:49 PM »
Hi again! Happy to answer questions like these. Once you have your SD card formatted, you can stick the roms right onto it (outside of the ED64 folder). If your SD card is FAT32 formatted, you can create additional folders to organize the games how you like. Both .n64 and .z64 work exactly the same on the Everdrive, so no trouble there. No matter which you use, though, you will need to unzip them in order for the cart to read them, as .zip or .7z files are not compatible.

Offline nuu

• View Profile
Re: About to buy my first Everdrive; anything that I need to know?
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2020, 10:19 PM »
Use whichever set is the latest, I should add, which probably is the bigger one. It's a good idea to have separate folders for your no-intro romset, hacked roms, 64DD conversions and homebrew roms for example. I would write the release date of the no-intro set on the no-intro folder, in case you want to update it in the future.
I have a 2018 no-intro set and I noticed it's about 15.5GB, so I guess you must have a newer set than me. I'm not sure where I got 20GB+ from, but 15.5GB is still too large for a 16GB rated SD card.

The ED64 swaps the byte order in memory after loading a rom (it doesn't touch the actual file) if necessary, so rom format shouldn't matter as rlstine said. Some people like to swap them all to big endian just for the sake of it, since that is supposedly the format the N64 rom chips are in.