General > EverDrive GBA

Power Draw of Everdrive x5 Mini

(1/5) > >>

Uliner:
Hello all:

I recently got the Everdrive x5 Mini, using it on my stock GBA SP (AGS-101) and GameBoy Player.  Most of the time, I've been using it on the latter.  It wasn't until recently where I had been using it a lot on my SP.  I've noticed while using it on my SP, the battery life is quite short.

The battery in my SP is new (Tomee 400 mAH).  After tracking the last 3 charges, my x5 clocked 1.25 hours, 1.17 hours, and 1.18 hours respectively.  Testing a stock GBA game (Yoshi's Island: Super Mario World 3), the SP ran for 6.58 hours.

All settings for each trials was the same (default brightness, 50% volume, etc).  In one trial of the x5, I removed the SD after the ROM had loaded up to see if it would impact performance.  That seemed to have no real impact.

I guess what I'm looking for is if the power draw for my Everdrive is considered normal.  Any feedback or assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Shadow666:

--- Quote from: Uliner on March 04, 2021, 08:37 PM ---Hello all:

I recently got the Everdrive x5 Mini, using it on my stock GBA SP (AGS-101) and GameBoy Player.  Most of the time, I've been using it on the latter.  It wasn't until recently where I had been using it a lot on my SP.  I've noticed while using it on my SP, the battery life is quite short.

The battery in my SP is new (Tomee 400 mAH).  After tracking the last 3 charges, my x5 clocked 1.25 hours, 1.17 hours, and 1.18 hours respectively.  Testing a stock GBA game (Yoshi's Island: Super Mario World 3), the SP ran for 6.58 hours.

All settings for each trials was the same (default brightness, 50% volume, etc).  In one trial of the x5, I removed the SD after the ROM had loaded up to see if it would impact performance.  That seemed to have no real impact.

I guess what I'm looking for is if the power draw for my Everdrive is considered normal.  Any feedback or assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

--- End quote ---

a stock SP battery is 600mAh so u have a problem

Uliner:
Yes, the stock battery I had in this SP previously was a 600 mAH battery.  It's way past its prime at this point, and is holding about 25% of its original charge.

So when you say I have a problem, is it one relating directly with the Everdrive?

Out of curiousity, how long should the Everdrive x5 Mini last on a given battery (i.e. 600 mAH)?

lee4:
Everdrive draws little abit more power due its need to power the FPGA chip

Uliner:
I definitely understand the power draw is going to be higher compared to a stock GBA game.  But I guess what I'm trying to get at is if this is "normal".  I've been doing a few more trials on different batteries and consoles in the past week to see if I could get any different results:

Console: GBA SP (AGS-101) Default low brightness, 50% volume
Battery: Official 600 mAH**
Game: Everdrive x5 Mini (Yoshi's Island: Super Mario World 3)
Trial 1: 75 mins, Charge time: 90 mins
Trial 2: 70 mins, Charge time: 88 mins
Trial 3: 71 mins, Charge time: 90 mins

Game: Yoshi's Island
Trial 1: 395 mins, Charge time: 79 mins

**As I mentioned in an earlier post, this was the original battery that came with my SP.  It doesn't hold its original capacity; hence why I bought a new 400 mAH battery.

Console: GBA SP (AGS-001) Frontlight off, 50% volume
Battery: Tomee 400 mAH
Game: Everdrive x5 Mini (Pokémon Ruby)
Trial 1: 90 mins, Charge time: 75 mins
Trial 2: 87 mins, Charge time: 77 mins
Trial 3: 92 mins, Charge time: 77 mins

Game: Pokémon Ruby
Trial 1: 563 mins, Charge time: 78 mins

Console: Nintendo DS Lite, Lowest brightness, 50% volume
Battery: Official 1000 mAH
Game: Everdrive x5 Mini (Mother 3 Fan Translation)
Trial 1: 251 mins, Charge time: 217 mins
Trial 2: 247 mins, Charge time: 209 mins

Game: Golden Sun
Trial 1: 988 mins, Charge time: 210 mins

Game: Pokémon Ruby
Trial 1: 972 mins, Charge time: 209 mins

TL:DR: In most testing of the power draw comparing stock games and the Everdrive, the average operations fall in the ranges of 52-64mA and 259-453mAH respectively.  This to me seems extremely abnormal, and I would just like to know about the experience others have had with their battery life. 

How long does your Everdrive last on a charge?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version