Author Topic: New to GBA X5, Question about Pokemon RTC  (Read 1319 times)

Offline cpenny1

• View Profile
New to GBA X5, Question about Pokemon RTC
« on: November 22, 2020, 08:45 PM »
Hi there,

I have a GBA X5 (Not the Mini one) coming in the post but i have a quick question regarding RTC with Pokemon Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald.

I have been reading about having to use Boktai to set the RTC and something about a berry bug with the Pokemon games.

Can i just use an RTC patched version of the rom for the Pokemon games? ( I think its called GBATA RTC Patch)

Would that bypass that berry bug?

And would i be able to say play the RTC patched Pokemon games without them affecting each other clocks?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Offline nuu

• View Profile
Re: New to GBA X5, Question about Pokemon RTC
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2020, 11:58 AM »
I can't answer without knowing what the patch does.
Is it a patch for playing Pokemon on a device that doesn't have RTC and allows you to set the time manually every time you play?

Details about the RTC and Pokemon for GBA here:
http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=10360.0

Offline dav3yb

• View Profile
Re: New to GBA X5, Question about Pokemon RTC
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2020, 03:38 AM »
Hi there,

I have a GBA X5 (Not the Mini one) coming in the post but i have a quick question regarding RTC with Pokemon Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald.

I have been reading about having to use Boktai to set the RTC and something about a berry bug with the Pokemon games.

Can i just use an RTC patched version of the rom for the Pokemon games? ( I think its called GBATA RTC Patch)

Would that bypass that berry bug?

And would i be able to say play the RTC patched Pokemon games without them affecting each other clocks?

Thanks for the help in advance.

As nuu mentioned, it depends on what the patch does.  If it allows you to set the time on each boot, that should work just fine for you, as I had to do that with Pokemon Crystal on my older Gameboy Everdrive. 

But the thread he linked was one I started in an attempt to figure out exactly how the games worked with their respective Real-time Clocks.  I went back and double checked a couple things to confirm, and added a quote to the OP of the thread so that the information will be pretty clear and upfront, and so people won't have to dig through to figure out exactly what needs doing.  Here's the quote though, if you'd like to give just using the default ROMs a chance:

Quote from: dav3yb
I'm adding this here to give a bit of clarification on what I discovered in my testing:

Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire: When starting a new game on any of these games, even the later revisions which claim to fix the berry glitch, they will start a NEW clock file, and off-set it by the time you input in game.  If you want the clock to be accurate to IRL time, set the clock to only 1 or 2 minutes past midnight in game (or however many minutes it shows on your in-game playtime stats, if you wandered a bit).  Once you've set the clock, save the game, then you can go into Boktai and you can adjust the date and time (which will be set to 1/1/2000, and ~00:02 am roughly) to the correct IRL time.  This will cause Ruby/Sapphire to update to the current time.

Pokemon Emerald:  Emerald act's a bit different, in that it will only adjust the TIME of the RTC file, and will not adjust the date when a new save file is created.  It will simply pull the date that is already present.  Best practice for Emerald is to use Boktai to set the correct Date and Time, then, when you're in Emerald, simply set the time to the current IRL time, and the Date/Time will match IRL. 

I hope this makes a few things a bit more clear for anyone searching for the information. 

Also, if I'm not mistaken, the Berry glitch in Ruby/Sapphire is mostly tied to the DATE.  Apparently the later revisions of the games that were released shipped with an update the fixed the glitch, but from what I read, it seems to occur when the date rolls over from 2000, to 2001, and does not seem to correct itself until it hits 2002 (or some variation of this).  If you follow my guide to new games, once the RTC is updated to the current date and time, the berry glitch should no longer happen.  Emerald I don't think actually has the berry glitch, but the main issue with Physical Cartridges and berries, is that the battery dies, and the way the game calculates elapsed time to when they should grow.  Since the battery is dead, the clock is constantly stuck on an earlier date and time.  Even after replacing the battery, the clock will only resume from it's original starting point, so you would need some other way to update the clock on the Physical Cartridge.  I did this with a 10$ DS flashcart and a homebrew app that allows adjusting of game clocks.  That's also in the linked thread though. 
« Last Edit: November 28, 2020, 03:50 AM by dav3yb »