Author Topic: [SOLVED] Everdrive X5 Mini Buttons Not Working  (Read 1269 times)

Offline 9pf2u

• View Profile
[SOLVED] Everdrive X5 Mini Buttons Not Working
« on: March 11, 2021, 06:21 PM »
So I have just received my GBA X5 Mini and I have this weird issue.  Tried to search around but wasn't able to find any information, so reaching out to the experts.

When I put the X5 into my GBA (non SP) it starts up fine, but the directional buttons only work if I hold down Up or Down.  So I cannot even browse the menu to select anything as the other buttons do not work.  When I put in any of my other carts into the console, the buttons perform as you would expect without issues.

I also tried to put the X5 into my Game Boy Player and I was able to successfully launch some titles without issues.

Has anyone come across this before?  It seems like an isolated issue but would really like to get it working on the handheld GBA.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2021, 11:42 PM by 9pf2u »

Offline Uliner

• View Profile
Re: Everdrive X5 Mini Buttons Not Working
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2021, 08:17 PM »
I've been combing the GBA Everdrive forums lately, but I don't think I've seen this come up as an issue.  Often times with other Everdrives (N8, 64, etc), third-party controllers can potentially cause issues.  (Obviously not relevant to your issue, but only controller issue I know of)

I know you've tried this on your GameBoy Player, but is it possible for you to test your x5 on another GBA console?  It may also help us troubleshoot your problem by recording a video of this issue.

Offline 9pf2u

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2021, 09:44 PM »
I've been combing the GBA Everdrive forums lately, but I don't think I've seen this come up as an issue.  Often times with other Everdrives (N8, 64, etc), third-party controllers can potentially cause issues.  (Obviously not relevant to your issue, but only controller issue I know of)

I know you've tried this on your GameBoy Player, but is it possible for you to test your x5 on another GBA console?  It may also help us troubleshoot your problem by recording a video of this issue.

Yeah, I saw some stuff about controllers too but as you said, not really the same thing.

I don't have access to another GBA unfortunately to test again. As for a video, I could try and see if I could get one up.  One note I should make, is I did install the IPS screen mod.  Unsure if this would have any impact.

Offline 9pf2u

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2021, 11:42 PM »
So I was able to resolve this myself.  Complete user error here.

It appears when I installed the brightness adjustment for the IPS, this caused an issue with the X5.  Not sure why this didn't cause issues with my other carts.  After I removed the brightness adjuster, the X5 worked as expected.

Offline Uliner

• View Profile
Re: [SOLVED] Everdrive X5 Mini Buttons Not Working
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2021, 01:52 AM »
Thanks for coming back and posting the resolution.  I was curious why this may have been occurring on a stock GBA, but I'm glad you were able to figure it out.

Offline ooledezma

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2021, 11:55 PM »
Hi, was anybody able to figure out why the Everdrive X5 Mini doesn't work with IPS LCS brightness wiring?

Offline JCR1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2021, 09:50 PM »
On gba sp ips v2 works fine

Offline jcam

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2021, 09:59 AM »
Made an account to post this, I was having the issue exactly as described as it turns out I installed my IPS brightness control incorrectly.
See attached photo, the wire between the right bumper and the ribbon cable was being clamped down to the board by the back half of the shell. I am a total novice at this sort of thing but I suspect that the damage to the wire was causing a short. After I re-routed the cable and taped over the damaged section both the brightness control and Everdrive began working normally. If you are encountering this issue check all your connection points and wires, make sure they are correct/in good condition. Hope this helps someone!

Some additional background info:
I only just performed the mod on a GBA I purchased expressly for that purpose, to my knowledge it was working normally before but I couldn't test it properly as I didn't have any games at the time. After I completed the mods (re-shelling and IPS installation) I found that the brightness control wasn't working properly (SEL+LB lowered as intended but SEL would increase the brightness by itself) and the RB wasn't inputting. I figured it was an issue with the trigger so I ordered some replacement switches online didn't think much of it.
Afterwards, I was having issues on a genuine game cart of pokemon emerald, I couldn't perform an evolution cancel which is done by pressing B to interrupt the animation when it plays. My B button was working for other functions which I thought was really strange. That combined with the Everdrive issue, the brightness control not working along with this post made me suspect the issues were all linked. When I pulled everything apart again to scrutinize I found the issue.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2021, 10:02 AM by jcam »