Author Topic: Why does Everdrive GBA need an emu for GB and GBC?  (Read 1001 times)

Offline DaveE

• View Profile
Why does Everdrive GBA need an emu for GB and GBC?
« on: May 08, 2021, 10:23 PM »
Hi everyone. I’m enjoying my new Everdrive GBA 5X. I’m curious, why is an emulator needed for GB and GBC games when the Gameboy Advance supports them natively? I notice a lot of the GBC roms don’t work well using the recommended emulator. Is there a way to play them from the Everdrive on GBA without an emu?  I understand I can buy the GB Everdrive but seems like that shouldn’t be necessary.

Offline James Cree

• View Profile
Re: Why does Everdrive GBA need an emu for GB and GBC?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2021, 11:52 PM »
Hi everyone. I’m enjoying my new Everdrive GBA 5X. I’m curious, why is an emulator needed for GB and GBC games when the Gameboy Advance supports them natively? I notice a lot of the GBC roms don’t work well using the recommended emulator. Is there a way to play them from the Everdrive on GBA without an emu?  I understand I can buy the GB Everdrive but seems like that shouldn’t be necessary.

The GB/GBC mode of the GBA is triggered by a physical switch in the cartridge slot. GB/GBC cartridges press this switch but GBA carts don't.

This activates the GB/GBC mode on boot and changes the cartridge voltage from 3.3v (for GBA carts) to 5v (for GB)

It is not possible to run the GBA in GB/GBC mode with the GBA everdrive.
You're stuck with emulators or using the GB everdrive.

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2021, 12:17 PM »
As for why, Nintendo designed the GBA this way with a GBA mode that don't have access to all GBC features and vice versa.

Offline DaveE

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2021, 09:05 PM »

The GB/GBC mode of the GBA is triggered by a physical switch in the cartridge slot. GB/GBC cartridges press this switch but GBA carts don't.

Very interesting.  Just found the switch inside the GBA.  Had no idea it was there.  So we'd basically need an Everdrive GBA with a slideable switch that could push that button when we want to play GB/GBC games natively.  Anyway, to get the emu working better, check out the post here-  https://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=11065.0

I didn't realize there was a separate version of the emu specifically for GBC games.  Tried that and so far it's working well. 

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2021, 12:54 PM »
That would also need cramming a GB/GBC Everdrive and a GBA Everdrive in the same shell. Everdrive GB is used when you want to play GB/GBC games natively.