Author Topic: NTSC games on PAL-high pitch sound??  (Read 3478 times)

Offline MaarioS

• View Profile
NTSC games on PAL-high pitch sound??
« on: March 28, 2014, 12:02 AM »
Hey there, I've received my Everdrive 64 today and I'm so happy about it ;) . But I've come across 1 issue- since I live in Europe (Poland) I play on a PAL console with PAL Everdrive 64. When I play PAL games on it, everything works like a charm but when I play NTSC games, the sound is pretty strange. EVen though the games work also perfectly fine with no problems, the sound is a little high-pitched, to describe it easier "it sounds too happy than it supposed to be". Does anyone else have the same problem?? Is it fixable?? My Nintendo 64 is the newer revision, clear black to be exact. Please for some suggestions. Thanks in advance!!

Offline speedruntrainer

• View Profile
Re: NTSC games on PAL-high pitch sound??
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 11:06 AM »
I don't really know what you mean with strange sound, but it's normal that you still have the PAL sound even on NTSC games because of the PAL sound chip on the N64.

If your sound is weird, can you post a video sound whatever?
I recognize the best in GoldenEye 007.

Offline saturnu

• ヽ(^o^)丿
    • View Profile
    • :D
Re: NTSC games on PAL-high pitch sound??
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 12:18 PM »
there is no special sound chip in the pal version, but you are right, that the sound is externally clocked with a fixed setting for ntsc or pal.
Btw. it's no big deal ist about 1-2% diff.

We already have a thread about that with a bit of a cryptic thread subject. :D
http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=375.0

there is a possiblity of soldering a switch, but i think nobody really has tried it, like my mav-switch idea. :D
The mav-chip combines sound dac and video dac.