Author Topic: Glitches in games on EverDrive N8-general  (Read 18791 times)

Offline MaarioS

• View Profile
Glitches in games on EverDrive N8-general
« on: September 22, 2013, 09:01 PM »
I'm kinda surprised there hasn't been any topic like that so far, so that's why I want to start it. As the topic says, write here about the problems/glitches in games you came across while playing them on ED N8. But you need to be 100% sure that this is the problem with ED itself, not with your console nor the rom!! So here we go:

1.Many Camerica games (Fantastic Adventures of Dizzy, Micro Machines, Ultimate Stuntman etc.): many of these games show glitched graphics like there are some mirroring problems and some of them just crash/freeze at random moments. Fortunately, when you change mapper to mapper 2 in headers, most of the games work just perfectly fine but still, there's some problem with mapper 71 (Camerica) implemented

2.Minna no Nakayoshi Daisakusen: doesn't work at all, all it shows is a gray screen (tested on 3-5 consoles, the same effect)

3.Wai Wai World: there appears to be some more mirroring issues but only in the Twin Bee/Gradius level near the end of the game. You can see it in the demo of the game

@Krikzz: would you please make this topic sticky?? I guess this would make things much more convenient if everybody reports any bugs here so all the issues will be kept in one place. Thanks in advance!!

Offline Aether Knight

• View Profile
Re: Glitches in games on EverDrive N8-general
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 12:39 PM »
Go ahead and add "Cybernoid, the Fighting Machine" to that list. Although the game runs fine, when you pause and select bombs (hitting A or B) the graphics turn into a mess.

Offline SkinnyV

• View Profile
    • dbwbp.com
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 03:04 PM »
There used to be a compatibility thread before. But the problem with that kind of thread is that people just end up spaming the whole thread with problem that aren't always there because half of them use crappy dump from random rom website. So I think that to make it useful information, we would need to have a test guideline, like testing with multiple rom of the same game and a proper bug report template with the version of the everdrive os and checksum of the rom tested.

Offline dvd2vcd

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 06:06 PM »
goodset roms are recommended by krikzz, avoid downloading roms 'here and there', grab a full romset
ED64 v2.5 - MEGAED X7 - TED v2.4 - SD2SNES rev F - EDN8 fami - EDGB X7 rev B

Offline Aether Knight

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 04:13 PM »
...I can attest that the aforementioned games (Minna no Nakayoshi Daisakusen, Wai Wai World, & Cybernoid ; The Fighting Machine) do not work correctly and they have been tested on a GoodNES-v3.1 Rom set. Also, I do test each available dump for any game that may not work and use nesmappers fix (or fix the header manually) for games with wrong mappers. Although Wai Wai World, & Cybernoid ; The Fighting Machine do work, there are glitches featured and Minna no Nakayoshi Daisakusen just refuses to load at all...

Offline goombakid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2013, 07:07 PM »
No-Intro ROMS work well, also.

Offline dvd2vcd

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2013, 10:29 PM »
No-Intro ROMS work well, also.
some of them need the headers patched to work properly, goodsets are perfect and ready to go!

Offline SkinnyV

• View Profile
    • dbwbp.com
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2013, 07:31 AM »
Goodset are far from being perfect but that is what Krikkz use to test on his ED N8.

Offline dvd2vcd

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2013, 09:53 PM »
Goodset are far from being perfect but that is what Krikkz use to test on his ED N8.
more choice in goodsets and more importantly fixed games

Offline SkinnyV

• View Profile
    • dbwbp.com
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2013, 06:06 AM »
There might be more choice in regard to pirate/bootleg game as goodnes doesn't really verify dump that it add since it even keep bad dump in the set but I am not sure what you consider ''fixed'' game. Plus, goodnes hasn't received an update if about 5 years.

Offline dvd2vcd

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2013, 11:56 AM »
There might be more choice in regard to pirate/bootleg game as goodnes doesn't really verify dump that it add since it even keep bad dump in the set but I am not sure what you consider ''fixed'' game. Plus, goodnes hasn't received an update if about 5 years.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GoodTools
[f]   Fixed dump   A fixed dump is a ROM that has been altered to run better on a flashcart or an emulator, no update in 5 years probably because it already has every known nes game anyway....
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 12:24 PM by dvd2vcd »

Offline snstay

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2013, 02:15 PM »
so i guess now we need a thread about working roms on both goodset and no-intro. Well ive used both and the main thing ive noticed the no-intro set is ready to go out of the box without having to sort through all the b.s. If a rom is "good" then there should be no need to update it right?

Offline SkinnyV

• View Profile
    • dbwbp.com
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2013, 04:56 AM »
Well if it is the definition of a fixed dump, it is also the definition of bad dump. There is almost no circumstance where the data of a dump should be modified in order to run on a flash card beside the header which is added data not present in the original cart and prone to human error. If it is required, it would be bypassing the real issue which is improper implememtation of mapper logic and such on the device itself.

But I would be pretty surprised if someone can name one game that required a "fixed" goodnes dump to run on the Everdrive N8 or the Powerpak. Altered dump used to be necessary on old archaïc famicom backup unit but shouldn't be necessary anymore with new flash cart device. So they wouldn't be much more useful than the thousand of bad or corrupted dump that clutter goodset. People don't seem to understand that goodtool were never planned to be a rom collecting tool. It was a scanning software made to analyse rom and compare them to the complete database of known dump in order to let you know which one were known as bad or good dump at the time. It was never intented as a set of roms that people would collect. No-intro is meant to be a complete set of good, verified dumps. If it's in no-intro, it mean the data is completly accurate byte for byte to the real cart. That is why there's way less pirate and weird bootleg game in no-intro (good reason to keep a goodset around for that reason).
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 05:13 AM by SkinnyV »

Offline dvd2vcd

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2013, 06:16 AM »
some n64 roms wont boot on ed64 for example, JFG, banjotooie, DK etc..if they have [f] in the romname they do :)

Offline SkinnyV

• View Profile
    • dbwbp.com
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2013, 08:01 AM »
I am talking about the Nes/Famicom. N64 is a different story, those game had copy protection that were cracked on the fixed version. And the only game requiring a crack out of those 3 you mentionned is Jet force gemini (as far as I remember) the unmodified dump of Dk64 and Bankotooie work fine on the ED64.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 08:05 AM by SkinnyV »