General > EverDrive GG

Init os... Issue

(1/2) > >>

Hi there. I just got the gg everdrive and it's working fine on my non modded game gear. On my one with a screen mod (which is the one I bought it for) it now gets stuck on OS init... It worked for me to play three games and now it isn't loading. Any thoughts?

I have the same problem. I just finished Mcwill modding a Japanese GG and tried my Everdrive X7 in it and I get the flashing OS Init message. The unit worked fine before I modded it, and works fine with regular carts.

I have 2 other GGs on hand, one with an identical Mcwill screen, which works, and one with a Chinese clone screen which also works.

I got in touch with Krikzz and he advised that it may be a power related issue - he suggested trying a different SD card. I swapped mine and it has fixed the problem.

I am having this issue (at random) as well as issues where games sometimes load and sometimes they go straight to the Load State, Save State, Back to Menu menu.  I can sometimes get the game to load after 15 or 16 tries or multiple power cycles but it is a bear.  It does sound like a power issue but I would hope there is something that can be done to either the Game Gear or the Everdrive as I figure most people (like myself) got an X7 GG Everdrive because the McWill kit made gaming on the Game Gear tolerable.  I own every ED but the SMS and this is the first ED I have ever had issues with.  It is strange but then again the McWill mod requires a lot of modifications and I am sure the ED is more power hungry than a GG cart.

Game Gear
VA1 8370-9024
McWill Modded
Cap Replacement

SanDisk 8gb HC I Class 4 (works the best)
Both GG and SMS games have the same issues
80% of the time games will load but the other 20% of the time they either get stuck on a black screen or it goes straight to the load state, save state, back to menu screen.
Power cycling sometimes works, sometimes loading the game without starting then starting it will get around the L. State, S. State, B. to Menu loop.

SanDisk 32gb HC I Class 10
9 times out of 10 this card will get stuck on the OS init...
Once loaded it also experiences all of the same issues as the above

All formatted with the SD Card Formatter 5.0.1 App
Game Gear HGG-3210 is freshly recapped with McWill v.2.2 and AC powered.

#1 Sandisk Ultra 32GB class 10 : Worked for a 2 hours then stopped now gets the "OS Init..."
#2 Sandisk Ultra 32GB class 10 : Worked for 1 hour then same as above
#3 Sandisk Ultra 32GB class 10 : Same as above
Samsung 32 Pro Endurance : Nope
Samsung  Evo Plus: Nope
Panasonic 32GB (doesn't have a model name but it is Class 10, Made in Taiwan): Works 100% (about 3 hours into testing so far)

Interesting findings that might not be anything:
The Sandisks work for a while then they just stop, the cards themselves are still fine for any other device. So it doesn't harm the cards but this is interesting...
I can format them on the SD Card formatter but it won't help, once it stops working on the ED X7 that's it. "OS Int..." blinking will keep happening.
I know this makes no sense but it is what I am finding, consistently on all 3 32GB Sandisk cards.

Once it freezes once on the in-game menu, the problems will keep happening so maybe this is an early sign? Because I haven't had it happen on the Panasonic card yet, the sandisks all freezed up at the in-game menu a few times before they eventually did the "OS Init..." message.

Once I got the "OS Init..." flashing I was never able to recover.

So far I am 3 hours into testing with the Panasonic 32GB, it hasn't had the in-game menu freeze and runs fine.

To change the screen modes on the McWill you have to hold 1+2+Start and for the EDX7 In-Game menu it is 1+2+Up (default) do you think this has a conflict somewhere?
I turned off in-game menu while testing the Panasonic 32GB for an hour and it fine, turned it back on and still runs fine.

There is almost no information given on SD Card power consumption.
Going to order a lower class and test some more.

Will keep testing...


[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version