General > Super EverDrive

Why is the Super EverDrive apparently inferior to the differently branded FXPAK?

(1/3) > >>

EverNostalgic:
I love the name "EverDrive". It's perfect. I want to have one EverDrive (the best/latest) for each platform. However, it seems as if, even though EverDrive is the king of the flash carts for all the other platforms, the SNES EverDrive is... oddly lacking?

Instead, if I want to play all the crucial SNES games, I have to buy this different "FXPAK PRO" thing, which doesn't have "EverDrive" anywhere in its name. Why is that? Why is it separate? Can't it be "rebranded" or something so there's symmetry with the other products? Or maybe call it "Super EverDrive Pro" or something?

What is it about SNES that apparently makes it so difficult/expensive to support all the games?

Yoshi's Island, Stunt Race FX and DOOM are three examples of SNES games which I believe are not supported by the latest Super EverDrive, yet are considered "crucial golden classics" to me. I realize that these use the FX chip(s), and that this is lacking in the Super EverDrive, but my question is: why is that?

It seems strange to me that you have achieved near-complete compatibility for NES and N64, but not SNES. Is this about to change anytime soon? For psychological reasons, I can't bear the idea of having an EverDrive for GB, NES, N64, etc., but an "FXPAK PRO" for the SNES. I want it to be an EverDrive, but the Super EverDrive just won't run some of the most important (to me) SNES games.

Can you please explain to me why the SNES specifically is such a difficult console to make a flash cart for? Or do the EverDrive developers simply have minimal personal interest in this particular console, thus not spending enough time and resources on it?

It would be nice to get this explained once and for all. Please note that I'm not asking about the *difference* between the Super EverDrive and FXPAK Pro.

lee4:
obviously you did not research enough to

note fxpak is manufactured and sold by creator of Everdrive

reason not under everdrive label is fxpak is created by different person

EverNostalgic:

--- Quote from: lee4 on May 08, 2021, 12:18 AM ---fxpak is manufactured and sold by creator of Everdrive

--- End quote ---

Then it makes *even less* sense...

--- Quote from: lee4 on May 08, 2021, 12:18 AM ---reason not under everdrive label is fxpak is created by different person

--- End quote ---

Doesn't explain anything? Why would that matter? What about what I asked?

PS: Also, having to constantly look up and type in years when things were released just to post here is insanely annoying. I hope that this is some temporary glitch with the forum.

JP32:
FXpak is open source with PCB's cad files and everything available for public. Initially it didn't support any special chips AFAIK, but someone wrote support for snes special chips for it(and this was years later after it came out), this guy is separate who made the fxpak in the first place. the special chips, especially superFX and SA-1 are super complex and even the emulators had tons of problems with them, so thats one reason why they are unsupported, along with the fact that there are only handful games that uses those, and even less good games. Im not Krizz so Im not gonna guess his reasons why not.

And besides, super everdrive does play 90% of the snes library.

Also you are being awfully biased, nobody likes consolewarriors/fanboys so please get help and stop that mindset its just super annoying.

EverNostalgic:

--- Quote from: JP32 on May 08, 2021, 10:48 AM ---FXpak is open source with PCB's cad files and everything available for public. Initially it didn't support any special chips AFAIK, but someone wrote support for snes special chips for it(and this was years later after it came out), this guy is separate who made the fxpak in the first place. the special chips, especially superFX and SA-1 are super complex and even the emulators had tons of problems with them, so thats one reason why they are unsupported, along with the fact that there are only handful games that uses those, and even less good games. Im not Krizz so Im not gonna guess his reasons why not.

--- End quote ---

Seems like it's impossible to get a straight answer; the core question appears to be avoided every time I ask here and elsewhere.

--- Quote from: JP32 on May 08, 2021, 10:48 AM ---And besides, super everdrive does play 90% of the snes library.

--- End quote ---

I explicitly listed three games it doesn't play, which I need to play. I don't know what your point with this is.

--- Quote from: JP32 on May 08, 2021, 10:48 AM ---Also you are being awfully biased, nobody likes consolewarriors/fanboys so please get help and stop that mindset its just super annoying.

--- End quote ---

I have absolutely no idea what you mean by this out-of-the-blue insult. "Awfully biased" in what sense? Asking a question? What? "Consolewarrior"? "Fanboy"? "Get help"?! "Stop that mindset"? Did you even read my question at all, or did you ignore it and just imagine some completely unrelated question which I didn't type?

The toxicity here is absolutely staggering so far. I don't even know how to react to this unwarranted rudeness. If you have zero interest in helping, don't respond at all instead of being hostile to somebody asking a genuine question in a very polite manner.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version